Queen Anne Hotel

1590 Sutter Street, At Octavia Street, San Francisco, California, 94109, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• True Ghost story

I want to make this clear from the start, It was my mothers 62nd birthday on July of 2004, and I wanted to surprise her with an overnight stay at the Queen Anne hotel. I don't remember what room we stayed in although I believed it to be on the 3rd or 4th floor and on the right side of the hallway if I recall, It was tea time around 6pm that evening we arrived and I told mom that I would take our stuff and go into our room and unload and take a hot soothing bath and relax and join her after a freshen up a bit... I was in the Claw foot tub and noticed the cool breeze from the bathroom window slightly opened and all of a sudden I felt a rush of air coming thru and startled me a bit, then "quote" I had my bathroom door open and I heard door slaming hard and my impression was this "quote" wow! someone downstairs is either upset or mad their slaming the door below us sounds almost like it's coming from in here. that loud!! I got out of the tub and went to greet my mother and I sat down at the grand piano and played Chopin's Nocturne in D-flat almost erie and surreal as I FELT A PRESENCE I NEVER IMAGINED UPON ME! after I played the Nocturne mom and I returned to our room and we settled in and was talking in bed with the lights still on and I am telling you the truth here, Mom and I SAW THE CLOSET DOOR VIOLENTLY TRYING TO OPEN AND THE DOOR KNOB TURNING AND TURNING!! I was scared to death, since I didn't believe in ghost "I DO NOW" needless to say I didn't sleep well that night and had a nightmare on top of that! We still had a good stay, but Unexpected events such as this put a scary theme as we wanted to get clarification of how this was happening. got back to Sacramento, and low and behold I mentioned where we stayed and they told me you didn't know the Queen Anne is haunted! Well we let Miss Mary Lake out of that closet that she somehow got trapped into she wanted to be free!!. ................I would definitly believe I would have not been afraid if I knew her Spirit was still in the house.

Unique Quality: Step back in time to the late 19th Century San Francisco!!!

• vivecapark's Profile Photo

A Lovely Setting

This had an elegant, old fashioned touch. An abundant contenental breakfast was included. Everyone was friendly.

Unique Quality: Several parlours where people can gather. The fireplace was a nice touch at night.

It was pricey, but they gave us a good rate since we were with the wedding party. They discounted it even more since we decided to stay a week.

It was right on the bus line and convenient for us to get around on the bus.

Directions: Pacific Heights

More about Queen Anne Hotel

On...

by Gina54

The Queen Anne Hotel

On Sutter and Octavia in Pacific Heights.
$139-$300 smaller rooms, large suites, and two room suites available. An old fashioned inn. Friendly staff, decent breakfast in the morning. Cozy place, fireplaces in many rooms! Reminds me of an inn in London.

Only one drawback to the entire place. I need a fast hookup for my computer, the connection speed was horrible. If you are traveling for business and need to dial up from the room, take a pass on this place. They told me they are 'working on' getting a cable modem. If they get that hooked up, I will stay on all future visits.

For a romantic escape, this place is cozy. The serve sherry in the afternoon, and have tea and coffee available all day. The location is central, and the rates are decent.

I highly suggest this place if you do not like the typical large corporate hotel.

San Francisco Ghost Hunt

by karen75

July 19th, 2004 - My last night in San Francisco I was lucky to have been able to attend the SF Ghost Hunt tour. I wanted to do this tour last year but was unable to do so.

Everyone met at the Queen Anne hotel at 7 pm and met with our guide, Jim Fassbinder. Jim began by telling us the story about the Queen Anne hotel and then we got to take a short little tour of the place. The Queen Anne is reputed to be haunted by Mary Lake. After, we began touring the surrounding area of Pacific Heights. Listened to the stories of Flora, the ghost who wanders the streets, and Mary Ellen Pleasant, etc., etc.

I highly recommend the ghost walk. Jim Fassbinder is an excellent storyteller who's done a lot of research before dispelling the facts.

Tours run 7 days a week and no reservations are required. However, if you decide to do the walk, I would call the telephone number provided to listen for a confimation that the tour is running that night.

Ghost Walks

by Callavetta

Take a walk with Jim Fassbinder, noted SF ghost expert to hear the stories of haunts and paranormals that freqent the homes, parks, streets and alleys of San Francisco.

The walks begin in the lobby of the Queen Anne Hotel, 1590 Sutter, every night at 7:00 pm. They last approximately 3 hours. An easy stroll, visitors cover only 1 mile in the lovely Pacific Heights neighborhood. The cost is $20.00 per person.

Jim won't guarantee that you'll see an actual ghost (although he contends that many of his guests have), but he does gaurantee an interesting evening.

San Francisco Ghost Hunt

by Jefie

A really fun and unusual way to discover the lovely neighborhood of Pacific Heights is to go on the San Francisco Ghost Hunt with Jim Fassbinder. The tour begins at the Queen Anne Hotel, which is itself believed to be haunted by a friendly ghost. We were first invited to grab a hot drink and some fresh cookies, while Jim told us how his paranormal experiences as a kid led him to be interested in ghosts, and how his "Ghost Hunt" adventures in San Francisco began. We then followed Jim around the streets of Pacific Heights, where he led us from one haunted house to the next, all the while entertaining us with both historical facts and intriguing ghost stories. Jim was an amazing guide, very friendly, great at interacting with his guests, and most importantly he was a fantastic story-teller. The tour lasted about 3 h but rest assured, we only walked for about 1 mile and we didn't have any big hill to climb.

The tours run 6 nights a week (Jim rests on Tuesdays) and start at 7:00 pm (no reservations required). Admission: $20 (and it's worth it!).

Best Vacation Ever???

by TripAdvisor Member DarrenSymons

Hi! We are just back from San Fran and our fantastic stay at the Queen Anne. Does life get any better than being greeted at the door by a real person, rather than a uniformed 'robot'? And when your first conversation ends with 'Step thru to the lounge area and help yourself to a sherry while I check your room' you just know you are in for a great stay.

The Queen Anne appears on the map to be slap bang in the middle of San Fran. In reality it is right on the doorstep of THE FILMORE which is great for shopping and eating, with loads to see, but is also a little away from the action so you get a great nights sleep.

From a transportation point of view it is on hand for 3 main bus routes, and less than 3 mins away in one direction is the Cable Car and 3 mins in the other direction is the '22' the bus route that goes right thru the city from the Marina one way to the Castro in the other.

The staff were great - all of them! Reception was always manned. We even managed to get booked into an obscure Russian restaurant because of them.

San Fran is an excellent city, the transportation links are the icing on the cake.....I think this makes the Queen Anne Hotel the cherry on top of the icing on the cake!

If you're going to San Francisco...

by TripAdvisor Member BenC

If you’re going to San Francisco…

…Maybe these days you wouldn’t wear some flowers in your hair – instead you may choose to wear some walking boots – those hills are incredible.

My girlfriend and I visited the city for two weeks back in 2002 and fell in love with its welcoming, laid back and authentic vibe.

We stayed in the Queen Anne Hotel on the corner of Sutter and Octavia; it’s an old finishing school for girls and apparently is haunted by a friendly ghost who likes to tuck people into bed if they’ve had too much to drink. I didn’t see any of this myself (even though I often had too much to drink), but it all helps create a special atmosphere in a very special hotel.

I’m not sure if he’s still there, but Roberto, the Concierge was a great guy – a genuinely nice man who would try and get to know you so that he could point you in the right direction for what you want to do.

The hotel is a couple of miles from Downtown San Francisco and whilst the journey is walkable, those unbelievable hills make it pretty tiring. However, there is a lot more to the city than just Downtown and the hotel’s location means that you not too far from other “must-see” parts of the city such as Golden Gate Park, Haight Ashbury or the Marina (which leads into the walk to Golden Gate Bridge).

One of my favourite things about the hotel was that its location in Pacific Heights means that it is not in a particularly touristy area of the city; if you want to you can live like a local – chill out in Lafayette Park and take a stroll down Fillmore with its great bars and restaurants (The Grove and Harry’s deserve a special mention).

You can do as little or as much as you like in San Francisco, but I would advise every visitor to try and get away from the obvious tourist traps such as Fisherman’s Wharf and the Cable Cars. It’s a truly beautiful place with great locals and I am looking forward to going back soon.

Victorian Castle

I've stayed in a lot of different hotels in San Francisco and to be honest the only reason I found this gem is because I was bumped from my downtown hotel. Once I arrived at this boutique hotel I realized what I had been missing. The service was absolutely outstanding. They seemed to actually care about what I wanted to do while I was in the city rather than what they wanted me to do. Anyways they put me into a room that I guarantee you would have cost me at least double if it was downtown. The front desk person walked me around the absolutely have to see lobby and then explained to me when breakfast would be served and who to contact if I had any problems. I mentioned to her that my wife and I were celebrating an anniversary and if you can believe it they sent up a bottle of wine to congradulate us. If your tired of being treated like a number you have to give this hotel a try.

One of my favorite places!!! I loved it!!

by TripAdvisor Member Irishlam

This is definitely one of my favorite places to stay now, and I can't wait to go back.

The service is impeccable- the front desk staff are very friendly and helpful and go out of their way.

The hotel itself is stunning. I fell in love with all of the victorian style furnishings. The bed was so comfortable I never wanted to leave. The neighborhood seemed safe and was quiet.

The breakfast actually has a wide variety and was really good. A very large dining area as well so plenty of room for all.

Wonderful

We booked this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews, and we found it to be a wonderful place to stay. Hotel is absolutely charming and we wished that we had been able to stay for more than just one night when we were there in late May. Alberto, Roberto, Dennis and Darlene were very helpful and pleasant. This is one of our all time favorite hotels. We thought the Victorian atmosphere with modern conveniences in a quiet location was a great value, too. Highly, highly recommended.

Queen Anne Hotel in Pacific Heights near JapantownQueen Anne Hotel in Pacific Heights near Japantown

Our guide Jim Fassbinder at the Queen Anne HotelOur guide Jim Fassbinder at the Queen Anne Hotel

Comments