Sheehan Hotel

620 Sutter Street, San Francisco, California 94102, United States

More about San Francisco

Ready to dig into some donuts 2/5/11Ready to dig into some donuts 2/5/11

Packed house on one of the cable carsPacked house on one of the cable cars

Welcome to the RockWelcome to the Rock

Vermont Street, Potrero Hill, San FranciscoVermont Street, Potrero Hill, San Francisco

Accom near Fishermans Warf

by IdreamIam

My daughter is off to the US for a work confrence and are arriving early to see a bit, she was there as an 11 year old but does not remember a lot of course and then really only with the help of photos. They will be driving from Las Vegas and will have their 2 children with them aged 4 and 10. Can anyone help with suggestions for accom. near Fishermans Warf that is around the $100us mark bit more or less is not a problem. I normally would do this research myself but work is busy and I am leaving shortly for Bali for 2 weeks and they leave just after I get back and I know VT'ers are very helpful. They have to be at Disneyland (the location of the confrence which my daughter is one of the organisers so can't be late)by the 30th of September.

by goodfish

Hi Christine -
San Francisco is not known for having cheap hotels, and some of the cheapest may not be places you'd want to stay! I'm also curious why they want Fisherman's Wharf? INHO, it is pretty touristy and not necessarily the greatest area.

The other issue is having a car: hotel parking in SF can be very expensive - over $50 a day in some places. Let's just say it's a cost they'll want to factor in as they may find that $115 night but add $35 in parking fees and, well, you see my point.

That said, here are a couple that are getting good reviews on Trip Advisor, and all of them have free parking (rare in the city). None of them are right ON the wharf but two are not terribly far:

Columbus Motor Inn - near wharf/ free parking

Coventry Motor Inn - not at wharf but not too far/ free parking

Castle Inn - free parking

Hotel Mayflower on Nob Hill - free parking

If they choose one of these and call for reservations, just have them confirm the parking in case info has changed. When visiting the city, they'll want to leave the car in the hotel ramp for the duration of their time and walk/take public transit as trying to find places to park is a real headache and can also be very expensive.

by Jamesr3939

I would also look around Larkspur. I know there is a Marriott there that is reasonalbe. It is right across from the ferry terminal so you can get a great ferry ride across the bay to near FW. However, having just traveled with our 3.5 yoa grandson, it might be nice to have a place more center to where you want to spend most of your time so if you have to go back for a little nap break you can. I don't think you are going to find anything in that price range near FW, but try some of the discounters like Priceline or Hotwire.

There use to be a Ramada Inn right near FW that some friends stayed at a few times and had reasonable rates, but that's been 10 years ago so I can't vouch for it now or even if it is still there.

by rkearns

there's a travelodge on lombard st.

Travel Tips for San Francisco

Public transportation

by rbob

The location you have chose is very nice and very close to public transportation. You can walk one block to Church Street, where you take the J Church Street streetcar. This will take you to Market Street ( which is not far). At this intersection you can catch a bus or streetcar heading into just about every area of the city. I do not know about cost of car rental, but the public transportation will get you anyplace you want to go, unless you are planning a trip across one of the bridges. Again if you have any questions, I will be happy to reply if I can.
Bob San Francisco is a beautiful city with fantastic views.

The Blue Angels

by sswagner

San Francisco is a city of surprises. I find myself on a long layover in San Francisco International Airport and decide to head into the city for the day. As I approach the area around the wharf, I see a lot of people gathered. Inquiring what was going on, the answer was, "The Blue Angels are here!" Sure enough, in less than half an hour, there was a loud roar over the bay, and the blue and gold jets of the Blue Angels appeared to give us all a spectacular airshow. The flew over the bay and executed some stunning maneuvers. They also come over our heads too. If you are a fan of the Blue Angels or airshows in general. It would be good to see when they are going to be in town. This was a fantastic setting for an airshow. Since it happens up in the sky, there is enough room for everyone to see it. There is always something going on in San Francisco. Surprises like this.

Japanese Tea Garden

by grandmaR

I loved the cable cars, the marvelous views, and the wonderful restaurants I climbed on this bridge to get a better view of the garden. I'm in the middle of the bridge wearing a grey green suit with my back partly turned taking a photo in the other direction, My two children are at the top of the bridge on the side nearest to the photographer. One is wearing a dark coat with toggle buttons, and her sister is behind her.

The lady and child in white in front of me, and the child in red behind me, and the people climbing the steep steps are not part of our family group.

I don't know if this is my mom's picture or my dad's picture.

Off the beaten track

by CCW

Clement Street runs parallel to Geary Blvd., one block north, from Arguello Street across Park Presidio Blvd. and nearly all the way to the ocean. It's a REAL neighborhood, not a synthetic tourist environment. Clement St. used to be a rather pedestrian middle-class neighborhood, but in the past 20 years the ethnic composition has shifted towards the Asian as people move west out of Chinatown. Still, it's a fascinating, diverse area -- Irish bars, Russian tearooms, a Middle Eastern deli, Mexican restaurants, espresso bars, dim sum and sushi, etc., etc.

I was there the first time in...

by Pierre_Rouss

I was there the first time in 1990, the year after the latest big earthquake...
The one level of the bay bridge was collapse on the lower part that caught numerous cars and passengers. They demolished the access ramps and a few section of it that changed the scenery near the Embarcadero.

Comments