Stanyan Park Hotel

Expedia.com Travelocity

Tags

School Holidays Budget Travel National/State Park
See Amenities

One of the worst I have stayed at

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 8, 2010

I stay in hotels about 100 nights a year and this is one of the worst I have been to.

The location is a bit disconcerting when arriving at night. Lots of loiterers around the outside and parking is well down the block and across the street and $18 a night (not too bad for SF, CA). The front desk person was not a native english speaker and did not understand much of what I was saying- or so it seemed.

The room was subpar- very dingy- it felt (and smelled) like my grandmother's basement.

There is no AC and my room was at least 85 degrees. I called down to discuss the issue with the front desk clerk and he persisted in not understanding what I was saying.

I told him i did not think i could stay in the room given the temperature and the overall feel. He said that he would cancel my reservation- but because it was booked through my travel agent that she would have to do it. It was 1am east coast so i could not call my agent- he said to have her call tomorrow- "No Problem" he said.

I was able to get a room at the Hilton downtown (which is exceptional) for about $30 more per night.

the worst was when my travel agent called the hotel the next day. She said that they were "the worst hotel she has dealt with in her years of experience." She said the representative would not work with her to com to a compromise and insisted that the full rate be charged for my stay. She then asked for the manager and she said he seemed very disinterested and further went on to say that no hotels in San Fran had AC. That is odd- because all 5 of the other hotels I have stayed in around the area have AC.

Avoid this hotel if you can- the grounds, staff, and management are all subpar.

naibaho's Profile Photo

A cosy homey clean old hotel in perfect location

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 3, 2009

I stay in the hotel for 4 days and 3 nights during a short break from a business trip.

The room was clean and homey (they use some old style furniture that reminds me of old people house). The size depends to what you reserve. Some are larger, some are quite small but it is enough to have a good sleep. I think they always put either a comfy sofa or chair for your guest to sit in if you want to invite them in the room.

The internet is fine - they have two computers with internet connection in the reception area for the guess to use, so you have to share with other guests (no wi-fi or whatsoever).

The breakfast is a bit problem for me as I am Asian and I use to have a hot plenty and variation of breakfast. Don't come late, the sooner the you come the better, because I think they have some sort of supply management, so if you come early, there might be better choices. Though, it wasn't really nice food but sometimes when you are hungry in the morning, everything is good.

The amenities: soap, teve channels are standard. The elevator is small - but it is enough for your big suitcase, if you are travelling with baggages.

Mmm...the employee are also quite helpful - the one in the night shift are always more cautious than the one in the daylight :)

They closed main doors - so they have curvey. But you can ring them from outside and someone will open it for you :)

Unique Quality: I like the fact that it was an old building and listed as one of national historic building. it has a style, i think. They decorate each room with different ways - as if there is a personal touch in every room. I wish I have the time to try all rooms.

Also, I think the locatio is perfect. If you want to get some noise, you just walk to streets of haight asbury (just 2 minutes walk from the hotel) and if you want some peace, you'll find the golden gate park across the street.

Plenty of convenience store and restaurants, so it was good.

Directions: It is near the golden gate park.

HarmoniousBotch's Profile Photo

Victorian Hotel near the Golden Gate Park

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 3, 2006

We had a very pleasant stay. The Stanyan is a Victorian era hotel that has been completely upgraded, and is well maintained. The rooms are comfortable, with all the usual amenities.
Staff was very helpful, spoke accent-free English, and someone was on duty 24/7.
The continental breakfast had a huge selection, and could almost be advertised as a buffet.
The only thing that they don't have is off-street parking ( although the Kezar stadium parking is 1/2 block away for $15 per night ) I was able to find parking within 100 yards for free on three of four occasions when I needed it. YMMV.
A room with queen bed was 170 in Sept 2006.
We will be staying there next time we visit SF.

Directions: Eastern end of Golden Gate Park.

travellingtoco's Profile Photo

Not Worth the Money

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 12, 2006

There was nothing wrong with the service. The location is pretty good - walking right across the street to the Golden Gate Park. It is only blocks away from the Haight/Ashbury scene. The interior was old and dated. The furniture in the lobby, dining room and our room was all very old, badly needing to be replaced. We stayed for two nights while our relative was at UCSF for surgery. We were supposed to receive a discounted rate but the pre-tax per night rate was $134 for a queen (rather small) room. The bed wasn't too comfortable and there was this smell in the hallways (like they were trying to disguise something else). The bathroom floor needed a good scrub. This is definitely not the place you would want to walk around barefoot.

I would not recommend this hotel. There are so many great accomodations I would not waste my time here.

Unique Quality: There were no unique qualities other than it is a very old building.

Directions: Walking distance to UCSF, Golden Gate Park, Haigh/Ashbury

• Business Services
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • Kitchenette

San Francisco Travel Forum

Need advice about San Francisco, California? Visit the Travel Forum for San Francisco and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Francisco hotel reviews