Suites at Fisherman's Wharf San Francisco

More about Suites at Fisherman's Wharf San Francisco

Loved the Suites @Fishermans Wharf

by TripAdvisor Member histotech22

We really enjoyed our stay in San Francisco. We had a large,
clean room with a nice balcony view. The staff was very friendly and helpful too.

Terrible Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Col1954

I spent the night with my three sisters. We stayed in a suite that had a kitchenette. The room smelled old as did the entire building. Defintely not worth the money. Also, I was accused of stealing an iron from the hotel. I do not iron, nor do my sisters. I was appalled at receiving a letter stating that I was being charged for a missing iron. When I spoke with the General Manager, I asked if he had checked the cleaning personnel. His response was that he totally trusted his employees but he did not trust me. My God, I spent $352.52 for a suite, DO YOU REALLY THINK I WOULD NEED TO TAKE A FILTHY IRON FROM THIS DIVE?????????????????? I will tell all my associates, employees, firends, family and everyone else going to SFO to AVOID this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the scoop

by TripAdvisor Member mimabee

The hotel does have a great location for Wharf activities and connecting to public transport. The desk folks are very helpful as were all the staff we met. There are 4 floors, but as in Europe, the main floor is not # one. A European small elevator available.

The Suites is on the corner of North Point and Hyde. Both busy, noisy streets. There are 3 2 BR suites. Each of those is on Hyde Street. The Hyde Street cable cars start around 6am and end, at least last night 2/24, at 12:30 am. It truly sounds like about as much noise as when you are riding ON the cars . The sliding glass door on a small balcony in the "living room" and large window in one BR make it impossible to cover the fierce sounds of clanking wheels and machinery climbing Hyde, bells, etc. The rooms numbering 04, 05, on each floor are probably the least street noisy. But there must be no insulation between floors. TVs and voices are easily heard from other rooms.

This place is owned by Shell Vacations Club but it seems they have forgotten to put it on a maintainence schedule. I was very surprised to see holes in our drapery, very faded bed covers, uncomfortable mattresses, sofa looked as if from a thrift shop. But if you stay at other Shell Club facilities, you know they can be just a tad past the fix it up stage.

As long as things remain this way, and most of it is unfixable, be cautioned that staying here you may be paying more for less than at very nearby places like Holiday Inn, H Inn Express, and Marriott.

My photos are unavailable due to the unfortunate event of my digital video and still camera being stolen from my checked luggage on my NWAirline flight.

Great Family-Friendly Lodging

by TripAdvisor Member hillss97

We just came back from a wonderful week's stay at the Suites at Fisherman's Wharf . I don't understand some of the other
guest's gripes. Maybe they expected too much.

It's a European style property
with a small lobby and elevator. We had a third floor suite
which overlooked the bay. The bedroom was a good size
for us and had a ceiling fan and tv. Our daughters' stayed
comfy on a sleeper sofa which also had a tv.

The kitchen was fully equipped and was utilized daily for
breakfast and lunch. We were fine with the small bathrrom
that had a pocket door.

The Hyde Street location was convenient to public transportation.
If you're looking for clean, convenient, reasonably -priced San Francisco lodging, this place can't be beat!

Large room

by TripAdvisor Member Created

Great location, large room, and friendly staff. As the others have said, the cable cars can be loud if you have a Hyde St. facing room as we did. However, we were not there to stay in the room but to enjoy the city.

Enjoyed our stay at Suites at Fishermans Wharf

by TripAdvisor Member Glitta2000

My husband and I spent 6 days at Suites at Fishermans Wharf. We really loved the location since it puts you near lots of areas to eat and explore. There was plenty of space in the one bedroom suite. It had a nice size living area and a separate Kitchen area. You can hear the Cable Cars on Hyde street but we didnt mind that at all. It added to our SF experience. You could hear people moving around in the suites above or adjacent to us but that was not a problem for us either. There is no A/C but it was not needed. All we had to do was open up a window or the patio door and the room cooled off. It was the end of july and the weather was very cool and breezy. It was a nice break from the Texas Heat Wave we were escaping in Austin. Staff was friendly and tried to push some time share talks on us on arrival but did not harass us after that. The decor is a little dated but seems to be up to par with other Condo/Timeshare Suites we have stayed in. We will definitely stay here again and will recommend it to our friends/family.

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member troongal

This is a great place to stay. I was really apprehensive after reading the previous reviews and expected the worst - hence this first ever review, so that others are not put off! Our family - 2 adults and 3 young kids stayed in a one bedroom suite. Yes, you can hear the trams from the living area (our kids sleep through everything so they were on the sofa bed) but the bedrooms are quiet. The decor within our suite was dated but hey, the most important thing is that it was clean and safe.
The location is fantastic and you are in walking distance of Starbucks, supermarkets and great restaurants at Fisherman's Wharf.

Had a great stay

by TripAdvisor Member kaykay75

We really enjoyed our stay! It is a great location, very conveniently located to Fisherman's Wharf and all methods of transportation. The one bedroom suite we stayed in was very comfortable and spacious. The staff were all very friendly and very helpful, giving us directions and advice for the places we wanted to go each day. The rooms were clean, the bed was very comfortable and although you could hear the cable cars, it didn't bother us and we did not really notice any noise from other rooms. This is the perfect place to stay if you are visiting the city, the kitchen facilities allowed us to have breakfast in the room each morning and then we were off to sightsee for the day. When we were leaving, we learned that the hotel will be completely updated in the next year. All in all, we felt the place had a lot of charm and we would definitely stay here again!

Location Awesome, Service Great

by TripAdvisor Member swyzzel

I booked this thru interval. Great trip. Great location. Everything was right there and the service was fantastic. The room was good too. Enjoy!

Yum...Yum...

Snowy Plovers in SF Ocean Beach SurfSnowy Plovers in SF Ocean Beach Surf

Enjoying some Stella (November 2010)Enjoying some Stella (November 2010)

View from Lincoln Golf Course toward downtown SFView from Lincoln Golf Course toward downtown SF

More Union Square Hotel questions

by hesling96

Thanks everyone for your previous replies! I have some additional concerns. Can you tell me which hotels in Union Sq are situated very close to steep hills. I am concerned for older individuals who will be with us. We want to stay preferably near Post or Sutter near Powell. However staying near Powell, would that be too noisy in the evening with the cable car noise? We wanted a bathroom that had possible 2 sinks, maybe one outside of the bathroom. Also where is the first stop for the cable car? I assume if you go to that stop you are guaranteed a seat? One last thought, I read that AC is not needed in July, will I be sorry if the hotel is not air conditioned? I know this is alot of questions but I want to try to get this trip right, :) Any advice?
ReplyEdit

by yvr

If yo are thinking about staying close to Sutter or Post the hills become steeper as you go towards Nob Hill which would be in the Northern direction, and for an older person this can be a real climb of about 3/4 blocks. If you wanted to walk towards Fisherman's Wharf as opposed to riding a cable car, you could walk through the Stockton St tunnel, which will also take you to Chinatown, or catch the "F" line street car on Market at Powell, but there is not guarantee that you will get a seat either, you may have to stand. As for a guaranteed seat on a cable car unless it is very early in the morning or late at night, you must go to the cable car turn around at the foot of Powell and Market and there you will stand in a long long line waiting your turn to board, the same hold true at the other end also. You are right about cable car noise, especially the bell, but one can hear the clang of the bell at least a block away from Powell, so take ear plugs with you if you are a light sleeper. You will find that many of the older hotels are not air conditioned, the newer ones and the chains, such as Hyatt, Holdiay Inns, Marriotts, etc will a/c. The nice thing about some of the older hotels, is that you can actually open a window. Have a great trip to the "city by the bay"

by goodfish

Just a note on cable cars: they are often VERY crowded and you can wait in line a long time to get on - especially at the Powell line turnaround at Market. If you are staying in the Union Square area, a better bet for at least some of your sightseeing will be the F-line trolleys. They run Market Street from the Castro all the way to Ferry building and along Embarcadero to Fisherman's Wharf with multiple stops to hop off/on. Use the cable cars only for those areas the F-line doesn't access.

A single ride on a trolley, streetcar or bus is $2.00 (you can get a transfer if you'll be riding more than one during a 90-minute period). Single ride on a cable car is $5. If you are staying multiple days and will need public transit a lot, I'd recommend buying a multi-day pass that covers unlimited rides on cable cars, trolleys and buses - everything but BART and ferries. I believe they may have a senior rate on the passes - let me know if your need the MUNI website?

by goodfish

Phil, I think we posted at the same time!! :)

by Rixie

Summers in San Francisco tend to be cool and foggy. It's unlikely that you'll need air conditioning.

Comments