The Carlton Hotel

Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 57% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Basic Hotel

My Husband and I stayed for 4 nights in March. We found all staff to be pleasant and helpfull. The Dining Room o.k. but we were not impressed with the choice of food for Dinner. Our room was dated with an old fashioned c/h system, but the room was very clean. Our room was at the front, corner and 1 night there were 2 girls chatting up everyone going passed until 4am. The Hotel is on the edge of the Red Light District and we were warned not to venture too far at night.
    There are many eating places within walking distance. We visited Lori's Diner many times and there is a good Sandwich shop a short distance who will make anything you like called -Bite. We had a good Chinese meal around the corner 2 roads down.
    Buses are quite local and the Cable car runs from Union Square. Wear flat shoes. 12md is checking out and we did ask for an extension as we were not leaving until 7pm. We were offered a courtesy room for $99, but we declined.

Unique Quality: Basic , clean facilities. No gym, no pool.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

value for money

Although I wasn’t sure about the area this hotel worked fine for us, the location is great with many buses around to go everywhere we wanted.

We used Expedia.com to book our room, we payed $84 per night for a superior queen room. For a budget hotel what you get is better than you expect.

The room (pic 2) had normal size and it was very clean, with a comfortable bed. We enjoyed the coffee maker in the room but we would like a small fridge too. The only problem was that the room wasn’t warm enough during the night and there is nothing you can do about it (they use central air system). The bathroom was very clean too with shampoo, conditioner and shower gel dispensers inside the shower.

The staff at the lobby were very helpful and showed us directions on the map for some sites we wanted to see. They serve wine for free in the afternoon for about an hour with some live piano music of one of the people that work on the reception. The foyer area is very nice to relax for a while anyway, especially near the fireplace (pic 3). There is also an Arabic-fusion restaurant inside but we never tried to check it.
    There is wifi access throughout the hotel. The check-in time is at 15.00.

Directions: It's located Downtown. You will pay about $40-50 to get here from the airport, we preferred the BART train which costs much less to Powell Street station and then took bus 27 for a few blocks.

• newsphotogirl's Profile Photo

Good Bargain

We chose this hotel because it was close to my job interviews. My first impression was not much. However the staff was very friendly and the hotel has a "built in the 1920's" charm. Our room looked nothing like the pictures on the website. But I heard they did some renovations. There were many restaurants within walking distance. A bus stop close by and the cable car is only 6 blocks away. It's not in the hippest part of town but the area has a "San Francisco" feel to it. They had complimentary wine tasting in the evening, a nice touch.

• elji's Profile Photo

Hotel Carlton on Sutter

I live pretty near San Francisco, but I stayed at the Hotel Carlton for one night last weekend because I was staying in the city late for a concert and didn't want to drive home so late. The service was excellent and the rooms were very attractively decorated.

Unique Quality: The hotel is centrally located. It is a historic hotel that recently had a very thorough renovation. The rooms and bathrooms are a bit small, but really nicely decorated and comfortable. There is complimentary wine offered in the lobby in the early evening, as well as a nice fireplace. Parking is easy and the staff are friendly. The shower was great. The food in the downstairs restaurant was great too. Our room on the third floor was very quiet, with almost no street noise. Be aware that most rooms have only one queen or king size bed. If you have several people in your party, you may need more than one room, or they have some rooms with two full size beds.

Directions: About 1 mile from Museum of Modern Art of Civic Center

More about The Carlton Hotel

give it a try!

This was a lovely, stylish little hotel. It smelled GREAT! The toiletries were very nice. The room was comfortable AND they had duvets instead of those nasty bedspreads most low and mid priced hotels have. The only drawback is a nearby neighborhood. It is very close to everything but on the edge of the Tenderloin district so it is near a gritty area.

What a find! Great service and location, for a low low price!

We stayed at the Carlton Hotel recently, from October 24th-27th. I was attending a conference at the Moscone Center, and needed to find a nearby place that was not charging an arm and a leg. The Carlton Hotel was a great find.

The staff was very courteous and helpful. My husband and I arrived early (at 10:30'ish), and we knew it was just worth a try to see if we could check in early. Obviously, a popular hotel such as the Carlton did not have any empty rooms, and none were available for early check in. The hotel was able to check our bags in, and gave us claim checks so that when we came back at check in time, all of our bags would be delivered to our rooms.

When we finally checked in, we found our room to be very clean, airy, and smelling great. The rooms are a tad small, but I would say comfortable for 3 people. I agree that the walls are thin, as we had a friend come up to visit one night, and we must have been WAY loud, as our neighbor started banging on the walls (at 11:30pm). All in all, we were comfortable.

There is just so much to do nearby! Step outside, take a right and continue about 6 blocks over on Sutter St, and you're in shopping central. Take a right on Powell, and you'll see Union Square ahead, with Macy's, Neiman Marcus, Saks, Tiffany's, and so much more. Take a left on Grant, and you're heading towards Chinatown (Golden Gate has the BEST dim sum)! If you choose to take a left from the hotel, you'll head toward Van Ness, which can be pretty cool to see at night. Keep straight several more blocks and you'll hit Japantown.

We ate at a Mediteranean restaurant on the corner of Sutter and... (don't know)--but it's just past Japantown. The food was OK, but the kicker was that it was also a Hooka bar, which we've always wanted to experience. Hooka smoking was a highlight for us--try the "apple", which great, and did not leave a bad tobacco taste in your mouth.

You won't need to rent a car in San Francisco, unless you plan on driving across the bridges. We took the bus to the Palace of Fine Arts, Golden Gate Bridge, Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. Public transportation is great in this city!

If you are planning on attending a conf. held at the Moscone Center, the Carlton Hotel is only 20 min. away, walking. I walked every morning, and it's just about 10 blocks away. I even walked back one night in HEELS, as I could not get a cab... So it really is not that far to get to.

I was warned about the homeless beeing very aggressive, and I personally did not encounter many. So I think it just all depends where you stay.

I would recommend the Carlton Hotel to anyone, and would definitely stay again if I returned to visit San Francisco.

Great hotel

We had never been to San Francisco so we used trip advisor & travelocity to look for hotels. The main reason we booked this hotel was because of all the great reviews that had been written for this particular hotel. The Carlton is everything the reviews said! The staff, from the front desk to the maids, were so helpful & such friendly people towards all their guests. Every evening they serve wine down in the lobby with a fire in the fireplace & a very comfortable setting to sit & talk to the other guests. You couldn't have asked for a cleaner room. A very nice job has been done on the renovation. Because this hotel is located within walking distance to Union Square, Grace Cathedral, the cable cars & China Town we never had to drive the car our whole trip. Will definetely use this hotel again! We are recommending this hotel to all our friends!!

Lovely Stay, comfortable rooms

I would definitely recommend this hotel. I really make the most of my rooms whenever I travel and I was very comfortable in this hotel. The walk-in closet, and hair dryer, and facilities were very good. The only complaint I have is that you can hear the toilets flushing in adjacent rooms, but honestly, for the price, location (5 blocks from union square!) and overall amentities, it's fabulous.

The lobby is well scented and very confortable for reading. Also they have wifi access in the lobby so it's nice to hang by the fireplace and do work.

Their restuarant seemed very nice, we didn't try it but our friends did and said it was yummy food with a nice spicy flair. There is a great hole-in-the-wall-coffee-house 2 blocks away that serves great coffee (and locally owned). Great walking distance to everything!

The valet parking was convenient too.
Definitely worth a try!

Nice refurbished rooms, friendly staff, but noisy

Great friendly and helpful staff. I changed rooms because of the noise in the next room. The next room was fine but outside noise (sirens, etc) kept me up. Also, it was freezing and there is only central heat - you can't adjust the temperature.

It's a good deal.

I stayed there during Thanksgiving (late November 2004), for $84 + tax a night. It should be a good deal in downtown SF. The room was clean and the staff were friendly. It was true that sometimes seemed like there're some construction going on outside the hallway and it was quite annoying. Also the restaurant kept playing some kind of southeast asian music which could be very disturbing if you didn't enjoy the music at all. Be warned.

Comments