501 Post Street, San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

• nomadig's Profile Photo

A pleasant surprise

We got a dirt cheap room from The Donatello, and thus we were fearing for the worst. Fortunately, the hotel exceeded our expectations in all fronts. The rooms were big and airy; our family of four fit in nicely, the sofa doubled as an extra bed and there were plenty of room for the crib, too. The room was equipped with wet bar, microwave oven and empty fridge -- all excellent items for people travelling with smaller children.

The service was really friendly and courteous. There was a free, albeit small, breakfast buffet on the club floor at the top of the building. Coffee, orange juice, and muffins kicked the day off fine. An additional pleasant surprise for us Finns for a proper Finnish sauna -- made in the US by a company established by a Finn.

The location is also very good, a block from Union Square, a lot of cafés, restaurants and small convenience stores around. All major car rental companies in a walking distance.

All this was $160 per nigh + tax. Your mileage with the price may vary.

• Location, Location, Location

We had the best time here. The staff was very helpful and went out of their way to help us. Our son and daughter-in-law went with us too, their luggage was lost, the front dest staff was helpful with phone numbers to the airport, they gave them an upgrade on their room and a bottle of champaign. (their anniversary was two days earlier). The bellman watched out for their luggage and when it arrived (two and a half days later) they left voice mail on both of our rooms early in the morning so they could call and it was brought to their room.
    The concierge upstairs (not the one for the timeshares by the front desk) were extremely helpful on how to navigate the bus and the trolley so we could reach everywhere we needed to go. They also directed us to the best rent a car place (called for us too for prices), which was two blocks around the corner from here.
    The trolley stop was one block away, the main bus line could be reached about 3 blocks away, and every store you could think of was within walking distance.
    Very close to union square and chinatown as well.
    The rooms are very large, the beds are very comfortable, and the frig. and microwave came in handy.
    We would very much recommend this hotel.

Directions: Union Square

• Modest rooms a block from Union Square

Although stepping out of the Hotel surrounded by the chic shops and squeal of the cable cars was enough to remind us of why we chose the Union Square vicinity, my girlfriend and I also took a joyride on the St Francis Hotel's exposed elevators each night on the way back to the Donatello just to tease ourselves into thinking we were staying somewhere with a little more swank. The view was a great way to finish every evening. Once back at the Donatello the huge king sized bed and elegant fabrics allowed our imagination to take a break. the reality of the surroundings made for a very "Union Square" feel.

Unique Quality: Be prepared for the Time Share/Vacation Club pitch, but it is very casual approach. They did not pressure my girlfriend and I at all. Do take advantage however of the complimentary Club Level passes that are issued upon check-in. The top floor club is a nice place to chill out in the morning, and plan the day's itinerary over some coffee and pastries.

Directions: Union Square

More about The Donatello Hotel

Zingari

by zChris

When I first arrived in San Francisco I was still on eastern time, and my stomach was growling around 4:30 pm. After dropping my bags at the hotel and haphazardly wandering about the city, I came upon Zingari, in the Donatello Hotel at Mason and Post Streets near Union Square. A vry elegant restaurant, Zingari consists of a very long, narrow dining room along the wall of the hotel facing Post Street. It's passageway-like appearance, with windows on one side and mirrors on another, renders it in the image of Versailles' Hall of Mirrors. Needless to say, when a sweaty traveller in rather disheveled clothes with a large backpack on steps into such a fine establishment, the staff is somewhat put off. I was served nonetheless, and sumptuously. And the surprising part was, it didn't wind up costing as much as the decor would have one believe. The cuisine was hot, fresh, and very good...in fact, it was better than that had at other Italian restaurants in the city, even in vaunted North Beach.

Dinner and night music?

by poetjo about Zingari Restaurant and Lounge

This is a great little place. I love it. it's located in the heart of Union Square within Hotel Donatello.

I've not eaten in the restaurant itself, but rather in the lounge bar area. There are jazz entertainers performing nightly from the likes of Paula West, Vicki Burns, Sony Holland etc...

It's very warm and cozy with an intimate atmosphere.

My suggestion? Order from the bar menu, have some drinks and enjoy the shows.

The risotto is awesome. No dress code.

Great Hotel, Great Location & Excellent Service

by TripAdvisor Member Gocko

We just returned from a week in San Francisco and stayed at the Donatello Hotel. I used to stay at this hotel in the late 80's and early 90's and found that the charm is still here at the Donatello. We stayed in the Presidential Suite on the 14th floor. This suite is in desperate need of a makeover, although it is immense in size. Living room, dining room, full kitchen, two bedrooms and 2 baths. This suite could easily sleep 8 with roll-a-beds. The view was nice, corner unit with huge windows overlooking union square. Union Square area can be very noisy at times and the hotel is older with single pane windows, noise level at night can be loud. The Club Donatello on the 15th floor offers continental breakfast, coffee and other refreshments. It is a nice touch in a well-appointed lounge with tv's, gym, sauna, jacuzzi and outdoor terrace area. The staff is always extremely helpful and courteous. Miguel, our valet attendant, remembered me from years ago, nice touch!!! He is an awesome person, make sure you say hello to Miguel. Zingari, the Italian restaurant in the Hotel has pretty decent food (although it is hard to beat North Beach) and the bar is nice as well. The Donatello offers live jazz every night in the lounge which is a awesome feature. All in all the Donatello Hotel offers great value and is close to everything in San Francisco. Our rate was $400.00 per night and included breakfast and valet parking, which will run you around $40.00 per night in San Francisco. I use my car alot while in Northen California, so it is nice having your car available at any time. I would highly recommend The Donatello, a nice, large boutique hotel located in the heart of Union Square.

Outstanding!

After seeing fantastic reviews on this forum, I booked this hotel for 2 rooms for myself and my colleague for a 5-night stay in early September for a conference. We checked in early and the staff were gracious and our rooms were ready. There was a slight issue with my air conditioning; but the engineering staff was attentive and offered me immediate alternatives. I loved the fact that the windows opened and allowed fresh aire inside!

My colleague and I were abruptly summoned back to our office in New Jersey after only 2 nights. When I spoke to the staff, there was absolutely no issue with our early departure. They were extremely understanding and helpful in returning us back to SFO airport in time to make our new flight.

I would highly recommend the Donatello to anyone. The rooms were well appointed, extremely tidy, and the most spacious of any hotel. The staff were courteous, gracious, kind and helpful! The price was extremely fair for San Francisco standards!

would stay here again

by TripAdvisor Member scheng

The hotel is a good value. We paid less than $130, which included parking and breakfast (though we didn't try it). The hotel is in a good location, extremely close to Union Square. The room we stayed in was really large, with a mini-fridge and microwave oven (turns out the hotel is partly a time share as well). Our room was on the fifth floor and overlooked a public terrace. The hotel has a small fitness center, including a beautiful jacuzzi.

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member bennifer

The location was great and the room was spacious, but a little bit run down- worn, dirty carpet, older model tv. But for the price, it was a great deal. My one complaint was the service- the package we purchased included a free bottle of wine upon arrival. Upon arrival, we were told that it was too late and that we could get our bottle of wine from the bar the following evening after 4pm. Not quite the welcome I was expecting. They offer a manager's cocktail reception in the tiny lobby bar for an hour in the evenings which is a nice touch, but the bar is really small and crowded and you have to fight your way to the bar to serve yourself. I have stayed at other Kimpton properties where the staff is much more friendly and service oriented (circling the room and offering refills!) All in all a good value, but there are so many hotels in S.F. with employees who go that little bit extra that I would not bother staying at the Donnatello again.

Very San Francisco

by TripAdvisor Member Colleague

This is a well located, pleasant, and well run hotel. Just a block from Union Square (and Sears Fine Food), the hotel was very clean and comfortable. The service, from the friendly doormen to the friendly room cleaners, was seamless. Our room was large, quiet and well appointed. Everything worked. Although it took some extra digging on the web, I was also able to get a very attractive price, and I have rated the hotel with that price in mind.

BART to Donatello

by peanutmarie

We are coming in to the Oakland airport and were considering using BART to get to the city. If we do that where would we get off and which way would we head, we are staying at the Donatello. Would a shuttle be easier? There will be four of us traveling.
Also, are the tour packages the way to go? Do they give you enough time at each location?
Thanks

by nomad7890

BART is easy. If you don't know the hotel website, here you go:

Expand the map (click on the "Click here to open area map" link, and you will see all the Bart stations listed.

by poetjo

You would get off at Powell Street station. If you have alot of luggage I would suggest a taxi. It's only about five minutes not even to the Donatello. If you don't have much luggage you can walk. Walk up Powell to Post street, about 5 blocks then turn left on Post and walk one block up to the Donatello on the corner of Post and Mason. BTW the food their is great and you can catch live music in the lounge on a nightly basis. The appetzer bar menu is also very good. Try the espressotini!

by HarmoniousBotch

Bart is the easiest way to get to SF.

BTW, there is not a BART station at the Oakland airport. You have to catch a shuttle for a mile or two to the BART station. Just follow the signs; it is easy to find.

by lostsooner55

You probably won't meet too many fans of package tours on VT. Generally, you can get around San Francisco on your own fairly easily using public transit. This allows you to determine what you wish to see, and how much time you wish to spend there. When will you be travelling ?

by peanutmarie

Thanks for the help, the details are great.
I'm sure we will be able to get there just fine.

by peanutmarie

Thanks, you can't get much easier than that. As for the espressotini, we'll do that and let you know.

Comments