The Huntington Hotel

Costs 38% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about The Huntington Hotel

Nob Hill

by gkitzmil

I am very distantly related to the Huntington from whom the Huntington Hotel on Nob Hill is named. But so what.... Just enjoy the view. Visit Grace Cathedral! On Sunday AM there usually are artists who exhibit in the Cathedral area and courtyard!! Taking the Cable Car up Nob Hill - a great ride.

Nob Hill

by Ewingjr98

Nob Hill is an exclusive neighborhood at the top of the hill near the intersection of the Powell and California cable car lines. It sits at the heart of the city, surrounded by Union Square, North Beach, the Tenderloin, Chinatown, Telegraph Hill, and Russian Hill. At the top of Nob Hill you'll find Grace Cathedral, the exclusive Pacific-Union Club, and fancy hotel such as the Fairmont, the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental Hotel, the Stanford Court, and the Huntington Hotel.

This neighborhood has always had a reputation as home to the rich and famous of San Francisco.

Nob Hill (Snob Hill)

by machomikemd

this is part two of my tips on SNOB Hill, again I am sort of biased since I find the Views in View Lounge Better than the Top of the Mark. Nob Hill, besides the home of San Francisco's Big Four (Leland Stanford, Collis Huntington, Mark Hopkins and Charles Crocker) and Nice views of Car Chases in the movies, the Snob Hill is also the home of the Big four (the Fairmont Hotel, the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental Hotel, the Stanford Court, and the Huntington Hotel) Hotels and the Iconic Grace Cathedral and Masonic Center.

Welcome to Snob Hill!!!

by wilocrek

Nob Hill is an affluent district, home to many of the city's old money families. Sometimes it is sarcastically referred to as Snob Hill. Its also home to some of the most expensive hotels in the city like the Farimont Hotel, Mark Hopkins, and the Huntington Hotel to name just a few. The Farimont Hotel has been used in many different Hollywood films so its the most famous of all the hotels. Grace Cathedral also resides on the hill which is located at the intersection of California and Powell, Grace Cathedral is one of the most beautiful churches in the city and was built in the same style as Notre Dame. There is also a small park with a beautiful water fountain if your looking for a place to relax and take in the rich folks that pass by!

A very disappointing hotel

by TripAdvisor Member AMCanadian

My husband and I just returned from our wonderful week in San Francisco
The only disappointment we had was our hotel. We stayed at the Huntington Hotel. We reserved a luxury room with a view. I called the hotel the night before to confirm our reservation. When we arrived we were given one of the worst "luxury" rooms I have ever stayed in. The carpets, drapes and furniture, what little there was, were worn and dirty, the lighting was poor, the bathroom was miniscule and there was a musty smell in the room (which was #1203) I complained the next morning, we were changed to #1003 which was in the same condition!
That morning we spoke to the manager and showed him our reservation, he promised to change our room to a "renovated" one but when we returned to the hotel in the afternoon, nothing had changed.
Needless to say I was very upset because we had chosen The Huntington over The Campton Place and The Palace (which were the same price) because we had read that the rooms were big and beautiful!
After a serious discussion with the front desk we were finally given a room that was clean and up to date(#1210)
The whole situation has left us with a terrible impression of the Huntington and we will never stay or recommend that hotel to anyone.
My advice to anyone who has plans to stay there... make sure you get in writing that the room you reserved is renovated or stay somewhere else.

Horrid

by TripAdvisor Member billymax

Similar to the disgruntled member from Florida - 23rd October ...we arrived at The Huntington in September 05 for 5 nights. It was to be the highlight of our 2 week (3 city) trip to the US. Suffice it to say we booked through Small Luxury Hotels of the World and after visiting the hotel website expected a wonderful experience and unashamed 5 star luxury.

There wasn't a lot of comment on Tripadvisor which with the benefit of hindsight probably should have told us to book elsewhere.

One after another the rooms we were shown were quite horrid, musty poorly furnished and very dated. The bathrooms were unbelievably bad. We were told the room we expected and thought we'd booked wasn't available and they couldn't offer us anything better.

Tired, a little anxious (as we had nowhere to stay) and very disappointed we decided to check out without actually staying there at all.

When we returned to England we complained both to the hotel and to SLH.
We received a sort of apology from the Huntington offering us a refurbed room for a future stay at a reduced price, but very much doubt if we will ever return.

We would not describe it as a 5 star hotel. Interestingly Expedia only show it as a 3star hotel. We would not award (from what we saw) 3 stars and sometrimes wonder how hotels earn and retain their star ratings.

We immediately booked into The Four Seasons Hotel which was fantastic and for which I can only utter unreserved superlatives. Faultless and as a result our visit to San Francisco is now a terrific memory.

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member miamimickey140

(April 27th 2-nights)
This was stop number 2 on our California/Las Vegas trip and we loved it.
We were worried after reading the reviews on here.....but we have learned in the past years that not ALL of the reviews here are right. My partner who is in the travel industry and I were both VERY impressed with this hotel.

LOCATION: Its in a great area of San Fran and has the trolley stop right on its door steps. YOu can take the trolley for a 15min ride down to China town or switch trains to Union Square (shopping area). I will say that the trolly makes it easier then trying to walk up and down the hills in San Fran. We did it the first day and that was enough for us to get a one day pass.

ROOMS: The suite we had on the 10th floor had wonderful views of the city. Since the building is on a hill...we looked down on the whole city. Room was bigger then my living room with a nice comfy bed and pillows. The sitting area was a sofa,coffee table and 2 chairs. Again very rich looking. Small kitchen area (sink and mini bar). TV was great and lots of closet space. Bathroom had a shower/tub which was huge. The glass door made the shower seem even bigger. I loved the seperate toilet/shower area to the double sinks.
Turn down service was amazing...with night cream for the face and a breakfast menu left for you to fill out. Complimentry Shoe shine if you left them outside your door.

POOL. Cute small pool. nice sitting area around pool to relax and read the paper. We never used the pool since thats not what we went to San Fran for. But at least we knew it was available.

PARKING- none. But you can valet for 30.00 a night (which we did).

SERVICE- Amazing. Wake up calls were on time. Check in and out was also great and fast.
We were super impressed with the care everyone has for you. Doormen knew us as we walked in and out and always helped with anything we needed.

So there has to be something wrong, right>???
Yes we found the carpet in the room COULD be changed and the hallways might get a little bit of an upgrade.....but it expected from such an old place.

OVERALL this is a great classy place and we would stay here again. The location and service is worth the extra money you will spend and your stay will be full of luxury.

Over-all: 7/10

by TripAdvisor Member ErwinFromBelgium

Stayed 3 nights during a California/Las Vegas trip.
The hotel is a beautiful building; the location is excellent: quite, classy neighbourhood but thanks to the cable car it takes only minutes to get wherever you want to be in town.
The staff was over-all very friendly; only the receptionist didn't acknowledge/validate my Leaders Club card (Leading Small Hotels of the World Card).
The other main good point: the spa is excellent; also the swimming pool with the sun terrace is great.
The bad points: my room needs an update ASAP; given the budget paid, it was unacceptable: very small room with stained floors, non-working tv (and they didn't manage to repair nor replace during my stay), totally outdated and very loud AC, bathroom for lilliputters.
Also their Big 4 restaurant: it might be famous for their kitchen, but it is so dark that it makes you depressive. It's a personal thing of course, but I wanted to get out of the restaurant ASAP.
My advice: if you can book a nice deal for a suite (some of them are said to be renovated/updated), go for it. If not,I would stay somewhere else and enjoy the spa. (BTW, their fitness facilities are close to non-existent)

Our room was gorgeous - great service too

by TripAdvisor Member napagirl

After reading some of these reviews- it's like we were staying at a different hotel. The service here was top notch from beginning to end and we felt pampered and luxurious.

From what I can tell by reading previous reviews it must be that some of the rooms have not been renovated yet. Perhaps when booking you have to be very careful to ask for a renovated one. If enough people do that will it put pressure on mgmt to cough up the $$ to finally renovate all of them? I feel badly for the people who got bad rooms when they were expecting luxury. I also feel a bit badly that the Huntington is being labeled a ripoff and "horrid" when our experience was the polar opposite of that. Anyway...

Our room was on the 11th floor, had a huge flat screen TV on the wall, brand new carpet, bath fixtures, beautiful mirrors everywhere. It was a nice large room (although it was the cheapest available) and there was enough room for a "conversation area" which were two comfy overstuffed chairs and table. I sat in one of the chairs a long time and watched the fog roll in over the city. The view was excellent, over the city and toward Twin Peaks.

You will really be missing out if you stay here and do not book a treatment in the spa. We had massages and pedicures. The sun deck overlooking the city, the infinity pool, the jacuzzi- all great. Again the service was great and they anticipated our needs from the beginning. I will definitely stay here again.

every year it's fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member skiswimsun

i should have written this review long ago, as my husband and i have been coming back to the Huntington for four years. This place is fantastic. everything you think "old San Francisco" should be. the bellman are great, always there but never obtrusive. they welcome us back by name. sure, it's because they're great recordkeepers, but it still feels good! the concierges have always been good. we've never had the same twice, but they employ the best, so it doesn't matter. we typically come in from Ohio, spend two or three nights here and then head up to Sonoma. we always have a car delivered on the morning we're leaving and it's never once been screwed up. if you travel a lot, you know that's unusual. makes me think they have a great reputation in town. we never eat there, but that's not a commentary on the restaurant - we just like to get out and check out other things. this past July, the restaurant was closed, as was the bar, for renovations. it was a bit of a disappointment, as we like to grab coffee, or a drink when we get home at night. the great thing was that they called us two days before we arrived to warn us about the closings - in case that would be too inconvenient for us. the rooms are great. the suites are very large, the regular rooms very roomy for an old hotel. location at the top of nob hill cannot be beaten. linens, beds, towels - all great. also, most rooms seem to have a window in the shower which we just love. there are probably a lot of hotels that are much "cooler" than this one, but we love it here. very worth the expense.

opinions of the Huntington Hotel on Nob Hill

by tahoekelly

Anybody stayed here? I've read mixed reviews on tripadvisor and was looking for more input.

RE: opinions of the Huntington Hotel on Nob Hill

I found it spectacular

RE: opinions of the Huntington Hotel on Nob Hill

by yvr

Very nice!

by YVRDave

IMO Tripadvisor is not a very good measuring stick

by yvr

I think you need to take Tripadvisor with some grain of salt. However, I post reviews of all hotels that I stay in and they acurate. I think you could also look at other sites that review hotels to get a more comprehensive view and then make a judgement based on more than just one.

by YVRDave

Yes, that is the comprehensive answer, thanks Phil.
All you have to do is look ath The Hotel Accropol in Istanbul to see what we mean. No opinions until one person posts a bad tip, then the staff come in and post glowing opinions

by tahoekelly

a second opinion is precisely why I posted this question here

by YVRDave

On Nob hill I also like the The Sherman House, The Fairmont and the Mark Hopkins.

by tahoekelly

We did stay at the Huntington over New Year's weekend -- it was great! We had a HUGE room (1010) with a city view. At this time of year, we had a partial view of the Christmas tree in Union Square, and glimpses of the fireworks over the Bay. The location at the top of Nob Hill made for great exercise -- and sore shins! Fortunately, the California St cable car line is right out front, and the Powell Street line is just a few blocks away.

by YVRDave

great bar and door man at the Huntington too

day spas and day hikes

by jenn_d

Hi Bay Area Friends, I will be staying in Nob Hill this weekend and would like to know if any one can recommend a day spa near by or in walking distance of the Renaisance hotel. Also looking for a quiet and peaceful hike to do perhaps in the morning.

Thanks!

RE: day spas and day hikes

by aserafica

Funny you asked. My sis who lives in SF got a spa/aromatherapy present from her husband. Guess where she went after her birthday lunch? The Nob Hill Spa. She enjoyed it judging by the pictures she sent me. Don't know the address but I'm sure your hotel concierge can tell you where it is.

RE: RE: day spas and day hikes

by jenn_d

I found them online...and was very excited about the champagne pedicure but they were of course booked for the weeked! Thanks for the suggestion.

RE: RE: day spas and day hikes

by Alikatt

Nob Hill Spa is at the Huntington Hotel right there in Nob Hill. As for hiking, I recommend that you take a cab to the Presidio of San Francisco, go to Crissy Field, walk along the water and turn left to the stairs on the slopes past the Warming Hut (cafe) and go on top of the hill for a fantastic view of the bay, Golden Gate Bridge. If you want a place to walk to, walk several blocks to Gough, turn right and left at Sacramento for Lafayette Park. If you want a better view, walk further down Sacramento going West until to come to Steiner and that's Alta Plaza Park. Go all the way up and look South for city views and North for bay views from Pacific Heights. BTW, you can take the California 1 bus also I believe although I don't know the exact route from Nob Hill to Pac. Heights. I think they are not on California all the time. Enjoy!

Comments