501 Geary St, San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• scbelle's Profile Photo

Another young looker...

We did not stay in the Monaco beacuse of availability, but it had been our first choice, so we decided to check it out in person. It was also a contemporary hotel, but with a completely different vibe--a little dressier and flashier than the Adagio. We checked out their standard room and their Jr. Suite, and I have to say, for MY money, the Jr. Suite was not enough of an upgrade. It was smaller than our room at the Adagio. However, bathrooms in both rooms were larger than the ours. Same Aveda toiletries (which I love). This hotel would be another excellent place to stay.

Directions: Two blocks from Union Square

• nomadig's Profile Photo

Hotel with rich d├ęcor

Hotel Monaco belongs to chain of boutique hotels operated by Kimpton hotel group. The hotels are distinctive in their look and feel. The theme for Hotel Monaco is good old days, when people travelled on ships and horses.

The room was compact, but not too small. The bed itself was quite a sight, looking like a bed of dreams of all small princesses, with curtains and everything. The washroom was stocked with all relevant amenities, and the hotel promises to provide more, if required.

The location on Geary street is quite central, a few blocks from Union Square. There are a selection of good and inexpensive restaurants nearby. However, the street deteriorates fast when you walk away from the square towards Tenderloin area.

• bruingirl's Profile Photo

Find "guppy love" at this boutique hotel!

My newly FAVORITE hotel!!!! I LOVE it here!
    1) Great location - within a short 5 minute walk to Union Square.
    2) Great service - the staff here is very friendly and will do anything to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
    3) Aveda hair products in the shower!!!
    4) Small, but VERY cute rooms with so much character! It's SF, you can't ask for that much space here!
    5) Happy hour every night where they serve free wine and hors' doeuvres and you can mingle with the other hotel guests.
    6) Pet-friendly.
    7) A free "loaner" goldfish to keep you company - what more could you ask for???

All this for such an amazing price!!! I almost don't want to post this one b/c I don't want everyone and their mom going here. :)

Unique Quality: The foyer is beautiful! Take some time to sit in front of the large fireplace with a cocktail and some good friends or a loved one. This place is great for a couple or just some friends. There is also a great restaurant connected to this hotel that serves great food and apparently, great oysters!

• kandl1's Profile Photo

A great Union Square hotel.

Why would we stay in a hotel when we live here? Well, it's kind of a new tradition for us. On Christmas Eve, eve (the 23rd), we like to stay in a hotel in the Union Square area and treat ourselves to a night on the town. The city has that holiday buzz going on and all of the streets and sidewalks are packed with shoppers and tourists. Our most recent hotel choice was the Monaco. Located a block from Union Square, this old, but thoroughly modern, building is filled with vibrant colors, bold stripes, and an attitude that while upscale, is quite aware that it's guests are mostly regular people. In other words, it's a fun place!

Unique Quality: The restaurant, Grand Cafe, is set in a large room (a restored turn of the century ballroom) with large floor to ceiling columns, and art nouveau and art deco touches.
    You can request a goldfish for your room in case you didn't bring your own pet. We saw a few dogs (with thier owners) on our latest visit.

Directions: It's in the Theatre District, a block away from Union Square.

More about The Monaco Hotel - a Kimpton Boutique Hotel

Hotel Monaco is nearly perfect

Almost everything about the hotel and staff was perfect during my stay. I also got this hotel through Priceline for $65 a night which is a steal. The posted rate was $199 which would also be fair relative to the brand name competition's rates.

Lobby:
The lobby is beautiful. I'm not sure how to descibe it art terms but it is very attractive. There were fresh baked cookies at the counter to enjoy during the quick process. In the mornings there is complimentary coffee in an adjoining room. In the early evening there is wine and cheese, also complimentary. There is a back massage service and a tarot card reader whose services are free but to whom you should offer a gratuity.

Room: Our room was small but otherwise flawless. Everything looked brand new. There were no dents in the wooden furniture or marks on the walls - which were done in deep red and gold striped wallpaper. The colors are bold and the accents show that someone put much thought into decorating. An example is that the artwork on the walls was the right size to make the room look like someone's home - assuming that person had excellent taste. At a large chain hotel I stayed in recently, a huge wall had one small framed print. It looked silly. Other accents included a huge mirror with a very artistic frame and throw pillows on the bed - which was very comfortable - that complemented the rest of the decor.

Rooms have cable TV, CD player, hair dryer, iron, and robes. Soaps and shampoos are by Aveda. For a fee, there is high speed Internet, a fax machine and Nintendo games. The mini bar was fully stocked with snacks, alcohol, soda, water, etc.

Service:
This is where the Monaco stands out. The doorman started to help us immediately. He asked us about our travels, our hometown, etc. while organizing our bags on a trolley. After a few more pleasantries he directed us to the front desk. As I mentioned, check-in was a breeze. We were barely in our room before the bags arrived - brought by another cheerful employee. We didn't have much further interaction with the staff because everything was nearly perfect. We came back one afternoon to find a complementary bottle of champagne in the room as we had mentioned to the doorman that we were in town for our own wedding in a few days. Upon leaving, the bellman was really friendly and talkative. Checkout was a breeze.

I definitely got the impression that the employees really like their jobs and are probably well compensated relative to their peers. Their friendliness never seems forced. It seems that they are in the hospitality business by choice and that they grasp the concept that by being friendly they promote repeat business. This simple idea seems lost in most American companies these days.

Other:
The hotel has a small fitness center with treadmills, stationary bikes, and Nautilus as well as a large Jacuzzi, a steam room and a sauna. As with the guest rooms, everything was clean and well maintained. Towels were provided. There is also a small business center.

There is a restaurant adjoining the lobby, Grand Cafe. I didn't eat there but it got a 21 from Zagat and always seemed to be packed in the evenings.

The location is about 3 blocks west of Union Square so it is within easy walking distance of the Union Square shopping district as well as the Financial District. Public Transportation of all sorts is nearby.

Another great Monaco stay

This was our second Hotel Monaco experience (Chicago being the other). As with our previous stay, the San Francisco Hotel Monaco was a real treat.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean. The bed was super comfortable. The restaurant was outstanding. Etc, etc...

The rooms are small but cozy. They are perfect for a San Francisco stay -- just enough room to sleep, nap, unwind and clean up. The rest of the time should be spent exploring the city!

The free wine hour is a lot of fun and serves as a great starting point for a night on the town. Additionally, the free morning Starbucks helps kick start your day.

The location is nearly perfect. You're a short walk from Union Square, which in turn is a short walk from Chinatown and the Financial District. Be warned, if you leave the hotel for a walk, turn right once you hit the sidewalk. Going left will drop you in the Tenderloin, a rather depressed area of SF.

All in all the Hotel Monaco complimented a great visit to San Francisco.

Fab Boutique -- esp. if you get a Web rate.

I pricelined a boutique hotel in SF the day before, and got the Hotel Monaco for $65 a night. At that rate I was expecting a key to the broom closet. Instead, they gave me a gorgeous room -- everything brand new, fantastic appointments and linens. The service was fine, staff friendly, and the restaurant downstairs is a fun place to grab breakfast or a drink. All in all, it's a fine place -- I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member MikeGrossman

We were looking for a quick getaway to S.F. Found a great deal with air fare and hotel for the same price as the airfare alone! The Hotel Monaco is fabulous....people are VERY friendly. Hotel is very lovely...very art deco era! Rooms are small, European style but still fine. VERY nicely decorated. Make sure to ask for a gold fish and take advantage of the massage..you'll need it if you walk those S.F. hills.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member Cynical

Got this through price line for $65 a night. Stayed there between 18th and 22nd of May. During the nights I stayed there, the rooms were advertised for prices ranging between $220 to $300.

This is a lovely hotel. Check in was fast, staff was friendly and the door man (Ken) down right helpful with directions and sightseeing etc.

The room was spacious, lavishly decorated with all the trappings like mini-bar, steam iron, high speed internet access, fax machine, room safe etc.

The free wine, cheese and massages are good.

The hotel is located in a very central location with the cable car turnaround & Market St station only a few blocks away. Deli's, shops etc are within a couple of blocks radius.

However this hotel borders an iffy area (The Tenderloin). But the doorman can tell you which way you are not supposed to go. I followed his directions and never had any trouble.

For a price of $65 (for a 4 star/boutique), it is an absolute steal. You cant get a decent 2 star in a central location such as this for the same price (I know, I checked!!)

Amazing !!!

What a ablow out sur prize, my second visit once a year ago for business this time for a weekend in the city. The manager has changed and you know it !! They could not stop dotting on me - if you want to spoiled sincerly and genuinly check out this great little place.

Dont miss the personal service from the present, poised staff.

Rooms are small but well appointed with plush ammenities - I will be back !!

Mike

Advice

by NaseerAli

Hi Guys:

I managed to get Hotel Monaco for $65 a night through priceline during the nights of 18-22 May. My questions are:

1) Is it a good hotel/good deal?
2) What about the area? I think the hotel is in Tender loin? if so, what do I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance everybody

Regards

Re: Advice

by Rixie

I don't know much about this place, other than the fact that it's a fairly new boutique hotel. $65/night is an excellent price -- I've seen it listed from $209-$329. There are testimonials from satisfied guests on the hotel's website: http://www.monaco-sf.com/

I'd consider Geary and Taylor to be closer to the upscale theater/Union Square area than to the Tenderloin, which is a poorer section of SF. I would still recommend taking a taxi at night rather than walking around by yourself -- better to be safe than sorry. I hope you have a wonderful visit.

Re: Advice

by joanmeyer

I've stayed at the Hotel Monaco in SF several times when traveling there on business. You received an unbelievably excellent rate. (I usually pay around $150 per night and regard that as a good rate). The area of the city it is located in is just fine. Ask the concierage about walking at night to be on the safe side.

Enjoy! It is a lovely hotel.

Comments