The Mosser Hotel

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• iweber's Profile Photo

Centralized Location and not too Pricey

The Mosser is one step up from a hostel with shared (individual) toilets and showers counting one on each floor. But for a really expensive city, it's very centralized and walking to just about anywhere is convenient. I walked to Golden Gate Park via Haight/Ashbury the first day and it was a trek but worth it. On day two, I walked through ChinaTown, Lombard Street (the crookedest street), Russian Hill and to the Golden Gate Bridge (also worth it). Both days were treks but my nights were easy as the hotel's near plenty of eating establishments. I plan to go back (eventually to move there) but I will utilize the Mosser's efficiency in price and surroundings, again!

Directions: On 4th right near the BART stop (forgetting which one exactly). Really easy to find. Also near lots of shopping!

• Jawnuta's Profile Photo

Great inexpensive hotel

I was staying at this hotel some time between 2001 and 2003.
    It was very elegant, quiet and clean hotel.
    I was traveling on a budget and was staying at the room with shared bathroom.
    I remember having no problem with showering in bathroom located on the corridor.
    I noticed when the cleaning staff was cleaning the bathroom and scheduled my day to take shower right after the bathroom was cleaned.

Unique Quality: It is a great option for those who have to travel on a budget but are sick and tired of dirty and loud hotels.
    Hotel is located right downtown next to public transportation.
    This allows for easy sightseeing of San Fran.

I would definitely consider staying there again.

Directions: Market Street and Fourth Street
    next to The Container Store and Old Navy store

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

The Mosser

The Mosser is a historic building just off Market Street, maybe two blocks from Union Square and just around the corner from the San Francisco Shopping Center. The building was constructed in 1913, but recently remodeled in 2003, so all of the rooms are new and modern.

We stayed here in summer 2007 due to the location (near Union Square and walking distance to AT&T Park) and the relatively low price... yes $140 + $20 in taxes is low for this neighborhood on a summertime Friday night (though just a month earlier, prices were much cheaper). We were heading to the Giants game, so we parked at a nearby garage ($30 for 24 hours) and walked to the stadium, deciding to check in after the night game. Later, after the visiting Pirates beat the Giants 8-7 and we stopped for a few beers...we finally checked in around 1:30am. Service was prompt as we were the only people in the lobby at that time of night! Our room was especially tiny...only in Japan have I seen hotel rooms barely 10 feet by 10 feet--so small the 6 inch TV was attached to the bed to get it out of the way. The queen-size bed was almost too big for the room.

The room was nice with a ceiling fan (no A/C), a new alarm clock/radio/CD player, and modern furnishings, but it lacked free wifi, had no view, and was noisy in the morning with the homeless guys out in the street below yelling at 6am.

Not a bad place in a pinch, but expensive considering the size of the room. Clean and safe are certainly plusses here.

• oisha's Profile Photo

Cosy digs downtown

I stayed here with my toddler in August 2005. We loved everything from the chaise longes in the foyer to the funky dining room to the cosy little nest we were allocated on the 4th floor. By looking in the other rooms during cleaning time, we knew we had got the worst room, but it was all we needed. I would not recommend it for 2 adults, because there is hardly room to swing a cat, but the interior decorator had done a great job with what little space there was. The bathroom was neat and clean too.

Unique Quality: The location could not be beat. Just steps away from Market Street with its subway stations and tram stops. The kids playground at Yerba Vista Centre was hardly further at a 3 minute walk.

Directions: You can take the BART (subway) direct from San Francisco airport (SFO) to Powell St. The Mosser is just around the corner. We negotiated this route with a stroller and backpack no problem.

• nomadig's Profile Photo

Boutique Hotel with Excellent Location

The Mosser is a sort of boutique hotel in the very heart of San Francisco on Fourth Street. Market Street with all its shops is just stone throw away and SFMoMA is just across a park.

The hotel has been recently redesigned, so the rooms are airy and stocked with good amenities. Note that you'll have to share bathroom with other travellers, unless you book a deluxe room.

• SnoopySue's Profile Photo

Moser Hotel rooms

I don't know how other rooms look like but room was very small but clean and well equipped. Internet access in room is available but extra charged. It is not so speed as advertised but it's acceptable if you just need to check your e-mail.

• SnoopySue's Profile Photo

Great location!

Small rooms but the location is unbeatable! On fourth street, just a block from Union Square and Powell Bart station. Friendly staff and affordable prices!

More about The Mosser Hotel

Mosser Hotel - A Good Choice

by TripAdvisor Member robincov

Stayed here 3 nights in late July early Aug 04.

The hotel is situated in a good location, ie near main streets and transportation.

The room i booked (701) came with no private bathroom ( i knew this before i arrived) was of good standard although it was small, but I only slept there - thats all i needed.

Shared facilities were close by and were very clean every time i used them and i didnt have to wait to use them.

Staff were very efficient and helpfull, I would reccommend this hotel to anyone.

The reviews on here were good and bad but a hotel room was just for slleping in and it was ok.

Marvellous Mosser

by TripAdvisor Member denimautum

I was trying my luck when I booked the Mosser online, not knowing what I would get, as the reviews seems to be mixed. Well, it was a really pleasant hotel. The room is SMALL, but very clean, and functional. Same thing for the bathroom and toilet. I was prepared for spartan furnishing, and it was, but there touches of luxury that I didn't even get at 4 star hotel in Las Vegas, such as bathrobes.

The only downside is that the walls are thin, and I can hear people moving around on the floor above and outside, plus the fan creaked when it was at speed 2 and 3, but to put things into perspective, it was great bargain at the price I was paying, the location is excellent, the facilities are great & clean.

One advise to future guests is to request not to be roomed next to the bathroom and toilet, as this will only add to the noise factor.

The Mosser Hotel and around

by Kastor

Hello,

This question is intended to people who know The theatre district and The financial district of San Franciscp very well.

I heard about The Mosser hotel corner 4th Avenue and Stockton and would like to know more about other hotels located around it.

Would you know any other Hotel close to the Museum of Modern Art? I would like to stay there for the conveniency (I will need to sleep on day time there as I will be jetlaged) but after 2 nights would like to switch to a lower budget hotel, probably a backpackers or Youth Hostel.

Can anyone advise me on what other accomodation is around these places?

Thank you very much!

by Kastor

Well, I do not want to give my credit card details unless I have shopped and found what I wanted for an hotel and in the process of becoming a member of hotwire, you have to give all these details and you haven't even had any info about any hotel at all.

So the long online process discouraged me to continue with hotwire. Could you tell me if it is safe?

by guell

The Mosser Hotel is actually located on 4th STREET and Stockton. If you ask a taxi driver to take you to 4th AVENUE and Stockton, he’ll know for sure that you’re an out-of-towner!! I don’t know anything about the Mosser, but I recently visited the newly opened Adagio Hotel on 5th and Geary, right in the heart of the theater district, and it was very nice.

Another hotel very nice hotel, albeit a bit pricier, is the Hotel Triton. This hotel is in the heart of everything!

You can’t go wrong with either of these places, and you can walk to the MOMA from either one. By the way, you can now take BART to either of these places from the airport for under $5.00! Exit at the Powel Street station.

I don’t know much about the hostels around here. Sorry! How about giving one of our B&B’s a try?

Enjoy your stay!

by rauwrie

My husband stayed at the Mosser while at a conference at Moscone. We live in the Bay Area but the conference went till very late at night so we booked him a room at the Mosser. He said that the hotel room was very nice, but tiny. The hotel is located in a great location though, so you can't go wrong.

The closest hotel to the MOMA I can think of is the W Hotel and the new Four Seasons, but those options are going to cost you a pretty penny.

Some nice boutique hotels can be found at www.jdvhospitality.com. Some are in "iffy" neighborhoods like the edge of Tenderloin, but they have great interiors.

Comments