The Ritz-Carlton San Francisco

The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 52% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• jose76's Profile Photo

Best Golf Course in the north SF bay area!

One of the most luxurious places to stay along the coastline. The 18 hole golf course is all along the water and nestled along some cliff side scenery. When you stay, make sure to at least take a relaxing time off of your busy schedule to just relax on the ocean terrace on the back end of the hotel. Perfect place to relax and enjoy the sun, fun and company.

Unique Quality: Any room you are in will be a great time. Some of the rooms to look for (my personal preferance) are on the second floor with the spa and shops. The rooms on the second floor share their balcony with the ocean terrace and you can litteraly walk right off of your balcony and on to the terrace. PERFECT SURROUNDINGS!!!

Directions: Coastal line, 20 min. south of San Francisco.

• Jessica88's Profile Photo

The Razzy Ritz

"I have always been better treated in San Francisco than I deserve." Mark Twain

The Ritz-Carlton is San Francisco's only ***** AAA hotel. The location of the hotel is ideal as it is within walking distance of the city's main shopping district - the walk to Union Square being all of 5 minutes. Not only this but it is situated near the world famous Nob Hill, and if you nab yourself a great room, the hotel commands fabulous views over the city. Unfortunately, such height gain does make the journey back up from excursions strenuous and on foot, it isn't recommended for the faint of heart. The service was faultless and the staff willing to make every effort to make your stay pleasant. The rooms were large and even sharing with my sister, we never felt cramped or lack of space, despite the throws of teenage mess created. Nice touches such as chocolates on pillows, turned back beds and soothing music when you came back after a hard day shopping, made all the difference. A definite recommendation for anyone considering to visit San Francisco and undertake some serious indulgence.

Unique Quality: The location again was so important. It is located directly near the California Street Cable Car line and so access to all of San Francisco is easy. You're located out of the noise and nuisance that a bustling city brings but close enough to the action to really get a feel of the city. The Terrace Courtyard must be mentioned - it is a breezy, sun-filled utopia, in which to escape city life. The Sunday brunches are reknowned throughout the city and having tasted one myself, heartily recommend them. The Lobby Lounge is another sweet little dining area, for the jazz croonies amongst you. Afternoon teas and cakes are served here and it's all very elegant and "sophisticat" (I obviously stuck out like a sore thumb then!) The hotel spa, Equilibrium, is also notably a fantastic sanctuary from the bustle. The indoor pool and jacuzzi (there is no outdoor pool, as even during our mid-summer visit, the wind was a little too chilly!) are great and more often than not empty - so there is plenty of space in which to relax. Although I never sampled the spa and gym services, they looked great (and in the case of the spa) smelt divine! One last outstanding point - if you happen to be one of the lucky few on the club level, I must urge you strongly to take advantage of the complementary fresh fruit and breakfast buffets on offer and the fantastic views over the city from the lounge. And let me tell you, the cookies are the best I have EVER tasted and I am some serious cookie fiend!

Directions: Take Pine Street to Stockton Street and make a left; the hotel driveway is on the immediate left.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Ritz-Carlton. Okay, I've...

Ritz-Carlton. Okay, I've never stayed here, but it's good to know that they have a Ritz! The San Francisco version of this excellent hotel, is housed in a former insurance company's headquarters.

More about The Ritz-Carlton San Francisco

Excellent urban Ritz

Recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton San Francisco for 5 nights with my wife and daughter over Christmas. Location is excellent (particularly for access to Union Square and Chinatown). Be forewarned that the hotel is up on Nob Hill so you will get plenty of exercise walking back to the hotel if you are not taking a cab. You also may get some cable car noise depending on where your room is located. Facilities were excellent for a city hotel (indoor pool, good health club). The lobby area was nicely decorated for the holiday season and had a very warm feeling. They serve dessert after dinner in the beautiful lounge right off the lobby which everyone enjoyed. All the staff was uniformly excellent. My only minor complaints for the entire stay was that the creme brulee was a little runny and that a restaurant recommended by the concierge was not really kid-friendly. We have stayed at a number of Ritz Carltons and this one certainly lived up to our expectations.

A nice hotel for the 60+!!!

I was excited about staying at the Ritz-Carlton after reading these reviews. However, when I got there, I was immediately disappointed. Although the service is what you would normally expect of a Ritz-Carlton, I felt like I had just entered a NURSING HOME.

I am a 33 y.o. female who enjoys the nicer things in life....and always choose to stay at top hotels like The Ritz, Mandarin-Oriental, Four Seasons, etc. I was not impressed at all with the quality of this Ritz-Carlton.

LOCATION: I can't believe the hills surrounding the hotel...considering most of the people who stay there are 60+. However, it is very centralized to the convention center, shopping, Chinatown, etc.

ROOMS: The rugs and bed spread were a dingy pink. It was reminiscent of an old set my great grandmother owned. The furniture looked like replicas of antique Victorian (I think) pieces, which looked like substandard reproductions. It reminded me of the furniture in a cheap motel. The room was equipped with the bare minimum - 25" RCA t.v. (which they desperately need to upgrade), 3 bath towels, 1 pair of slippers. In a hotel that wants you to believe they are in the business of providing service in abundance, they sure were stingy. The bathroom was typical of a Ritz-Carlton....very nice.

LOBBY: The flower arrangements all around the hotel were gorgeous. It was one of the few pleasures I enjoyed. However, the bar off the lobby was filled with the 60+. Nothing against the aging population, but I've never seen anything like it. I felt awkward walking around the hotel with a low cut blouse...waiting for my grandmother to come out and reprimand me.

Overall, it's a nice hotel for the older population but NOT worth the price at $355/night.....it's worth no more than $199/night (yes, even in San Francisco) This Ritz-Carlton looks like the real thing from the outside, but inside it's deceiving.

Consistenly excellent!!!

I travel a lot, and I have to say that this is one of my all time favorite hotels. The service is exceptional and warm, the rooms are clean and comfortable, the afternoon tea is marvelous...just to name a few. I've arrived at the SF Ritz dressed quite casually, and I still receive the same level of service. I'm delighted to see the same valet gentlemen year over year, who are focused on service and exceeding expectations. Great location. Truly worth the money, and I can't say that I think all Ritz Carlton's are great anymore. Some have become inconsistent, but not true for this one!

Beware of the Dog

by TripAdvisor Member Comparsita

We had booked a room on the Club floor and were disappointed at both its size (small), outlook & dinginess. We hadn’t unpacked when we became aware of a strange noise from next door. It was a dog barking continuously. (There was actually a sign “Woof” on the door – presumably to warn the staff) I was amazed that people are allowed to bring noisy pets to a hotel of this standard. We could hear the animal when walking past the room on several occasions subsequently.
We returned to the front desk and asked to change the room because of the disturbance and the second room we were shown was not much bigger but a great deal more pleasant in outlook and much brighter. This was a relief as we were staying 4 nights over the Thanksgiving weekend.
In my opinion, the bathroom was not up to standard for a Club level room in a hotel of this type. There were two basins but no separate shower cubicle, just a shower in the bath. There was a separate cubicle in the bathroom for the WC.
I had to call Housekeeping to get the bath plug mechanism repaired. However, they could do nothing to improve the shower which my husband described as “the most feeble shower I have ever experienced in the USA”
The Club lounge was superb and we enjoyed several of what they quaintly term “ food presentations”. Jet lagged, one night I went along at 4 a.m. to collect milk & fruit. The Club concierges were also very helpful and managed to get us tickets at short notice for Alcatraz when the website was showing fully booked.
The indoor pool is open for very long hours from 05.30 a.m. until 9 p.m. We swam early as we were waking up early from jet lag. However, the pool is quite small and overcrowded at busy times.
The room safe was operated by a key which you had to carry around with you instead of an electronic number code which many hotels have these days.
We enquired about dinner dancing in San Francisco and the concierge at the lobby desk told us there weren't any dinner dancing venues. In fact, we found out independently that there was live music for dancing at the nearby Top of the Mark restaurant and bar (at Intercontinental Mark Hopkins) and we had a great evening there and an enjoyable dinner. Another night, we took an evening dinner cruise again with live music for dancing with the Hornblower company from Pier 33.
We were leaving San Francisco on an evening flight back to the UK so requested a late check out. The hotel were not keen until I said that we would pay for half a day.
I believe that hotels are entitled to expect payment for extended use of the room in these circumstances, especially in busy periods. But this was a quiet day, as the hotel had emptied after the Thanksgiving weekend and they still charged us even though we checked out at 16.30 and they had originally said that they might be able to let us have the room until 16.00, presumably for nothing. (We had thought that we'd be leaving around 17.00/17.30) Also, I do think that if they charge, they should service the room, but they did not. (As a full day’s rate includes 2 room services, so a half day rate should include one service).

Great Hotel & Staff

by TripAdvisor Member ceo1213

First time to SF! We stayed 11/17-11/22. We felt the staff was wonderful. Very friendly and helpful in any way. We were always greeted and I liked how they remembered our names. We arrived about 11:00 pm & my friends luggage did not arrive and they offered to open up the gift shop. We also enjoyed the club level. Great for a bite to eat and drink. I thought the rooms were nice. Loved the bedding, I think it was the most comfortable bed I slept in! The room is a little larger than your standard hotel room. Went to Harry Denton's for drinks and dancing and had a great time. So many places to eat! We really had a great time in SF and would go back and stay here again!

grand, elegant, great locale

the ritz san francisco is one of 5 the best hotels in the whole city. we stayed for our anniversary and if you rebook closer to your arrival date you may get the great bed & breakfast deal we got! it included free breakfast (room service incl!) and free parking all for the price we were originally booked at for just the room.
always rebook people!!!

Ritz Carlton Half Moon BayRitz Carlton Half Moon Bay

Nice hotel along hwy 5

by maryamk22

Hi,
I have heard that there is a nice hotel (for which people actually stop on purpose) along hwy 5 steching from san francisco to LA. I have traveled that route many time, never seen anythingliek that! Does anyone know about this place?
thanks :-)

RE: Nice hotel along hwy 5

by travelgourmet

Please, you only have to ask the question once. VTers will respond, but 4-5 times to enter the same question is not necessary. Good Luck. BTW, this has been answered for you on your same post earlier.

RE: Nice hotel along hwy 5

by cnango

HAHA great minds think alike ! Madonna Inn is what I thought of right away but as the others said it is not on the 5 fwy.

We have to of the only 5 star hotels in Calif, here just a little north of Laguna Beach and close to the 5 fwy. But doubt this is what you were thinking of. But just incase they are: The Ritz Carlton and the St Regis.

Good Luck, hope this helps !

Comments