The Washington Square Inn

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about The Washington Square Inn

Washington Square Inn

by TripAdvisor Member tuck78

We stayed here mid-September & were delighted. Charming, small inn, wonderful staff, good continential breakfast & evening wine & cheese. But best of all because it is in the middle of North Beach, it was walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, financial district, Embarcadero, Coit Tower. Parking garage across Washington Square. Walked to wonderful restaurants all around -- Scomas on the Wharf, Cafe Albono on Francisco, Cafe Jacqueline. After dinner there are coffeehouses in the neighborhood -- don't miss Saturday afternoon live opera at Cafe Trieste. Jazz at Pearls & other nightlife just down the street. Having lived in San Francisco I knew this would be a fantastic location for just strolling around & enjoying some of the best things in this City!

Sophisticated, cosmopolitan stay at Washington Square Inn

by TripAdvisor Member CasaLaguna

I chose to stay at a smaller and more intimate property while on business in San Francisco rather than one of the large and well known hotels. I found the Washington Square Inn to be the perfect balance of sophistication, location, personal service and comfortable elegance.

The hotel is located close to everything – I had great walks/runs to Coit Tower, Fisherman’s Warf, Chinatown, North Beach, the financial district and Nob Hill.

I had great dining experiences within walking distance of the hotel including a funky coffee house as well as the famous Dimaggio’s and North Beach Restaurants.

The hotel’s breakfast was very tasty and complete – the best croissants I’ve had outside of France.

I had all the necessary amenities in my room to make my stay effective. I greatly appreciated the free, high speed wireless internet service.

Overall: a productive and very enjoyable trip to San Francisco.

Thanks Washington Square Inn!

Eclectic and wonderful International Inn

by TripAdvisor Member Indianpass

Our final few days in San Francisco, after spending several days touring Highway 1, Big Sur and Moonstone Beach (go there) were spent at this wonderful Inn. I chose this location based on reviews from the TripAdvisor and the Washington Square Inn fully deserves the #1 ranking among other Inns/B&B locations. There are only twelve rooms, so book in advance. The No Vacancy sign was for our entire stay and it is easy to understand why. We enjoyed the location-location-location in the midst of shopping, restaurants and historic sites. The Coit Tower is very close as well as the Wharf, cable cars, Union Square and museums. The rooms have wonderful beds, flat-screen TVs, period-refurnished bathrooms and so on. The best of 'new' and 'old'. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. If you are leaving for the airport, be sure to ask for the TownCar (comparable to taxi fare and much nicer). When we return, we will definitely be staying at this very nice and quite reasonable location. Don't miss the wine/cheese in the evening or continental breakfasts. Both are hospitable and fun....you also meet many interesting and typically international travelers.

Great Location In North Beach

by TripAdvisor Member Annie420

We stayed at the Washington Square Inn In November 2007, in room # 2. The location of this inn for touring San Francisco is perfect, after a long day of walking the hills of the city, you can step outside your inn door and be in Little Italy with many choices of restaurants, our favorite was L'Osteria del forno on Columbis Avenue. The night life in North Beach is great - with your choice of comedy, theater and Jazz clubs. The only problem we had was room # 2 was just up a couple of steps from the lobby and very noisy, we would recommend this Inn but would recommend a room on the second floor - unless you don't mind noise.
The continental breakfast was fine - and the host was very friendly and helpful!

Little gem in San Fran

by TripAdvisor Member foxxylizzy

We selected The Washinton Square Inn on the strength of recommendations on TripAdvisor and we were not disappointed. The place itself is a boutique, `European style' small hotel facing the Park in the North Beach area of the City which is a fantastic location for bars, restaurants and interesting shops plus everywhere is walkable.
The staff are friendly but not intrusive or over the top and very helpful. We only met the owner, Dan, on departure but he seemed very pleasant.
Our room was lovely (number 4) but quite small and I wished I hadn't taken quite as much luggage as there wasn't really much space for storage. We didn't need to worry about space for the first two days anyway as BA kindly lost our bags (nothing new there!).
The reception/lounge area is full of comfy seats and newspapers and wine and cheese/nibbles are served every day at 5pm when you get the chance to meet other guests if you so wish.
Breakfasts are lovely - fresh juices, Granola, yoghurt, fruit or croissants and bagels if your waistline isn't quite so important to you!
Staying in a place like this is so much nicer than staying in a faceless, corporate style hotel. We would definitely book this place again.

Teriffic B& B in a Teriffic Location

by TripAdvisor Member Love2Explr

This was a great overall experience. The overall B&B and our room were both very clean. I have stayed at many nice hotels and B&Bs over the years, but Washington Square was really clean! It is very quiet as well. The only drawback was that our room was a little small, but we did not spend a lot of time in our room so this was not a big deal.

All of the staff including the owners were great. Whether it was driving directions or restuarant recommendations, they came through with flying colors.

This B&B is also located in a wonderful location: easy walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf (Pier 39), Chinatown, Coit Tower, and some of the best retuarants in North Beach.

You need to consider this B&B if you want to be in the heart of SF.

Comfortable, but service lacking

by TripAdvisor Member mamayogini

This is a comfortable inn in a good location, but I disagree with other reviewers who thought the service was good. For what I paid for one of the larger rooms, I could have received excellent service at one of the finer hotels in San Francisco. Nobody ever asked me if there was something they could get me or do for me, even on the night that I checked in. Not once. And no staff member ever introduced themselves to me. (As in, "My name is ______, just call if I can help.") One night, the front desk person was on the phone the entire evening with a friend. He did answer my questions when I spoke to him, but he told his friend to hold on and then went back to his call after he spoke to me. He should have been more available to the guests.

On a positive note, the room was very comfortable and the views were pleasant. North Beach gets pretty noisy on weekend nights with Moose's right next door, so take advantage of the "nature sounds" on the CD player if you want to sleep before midnight. I liked the fact that the heater was absolutely quiet; it is old-fashioned baseboard heat. There is easy public transport to Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf on the No. 30 bus.

The breakfast was fine and always exactly what I ordered. I was unable to attend the wine and appetizer hour, so I can't comment on that

Excellent Place

by TripAdvisor Member sheriffaj

This was an incredibly enjoyable experience! The Inn was in a perfect location, acccessible to many attractions within walking distance including, cable cars, Coit Tower, Fisherman's Wharf and a variety of excellent restaurants. Right across the street from Washington Square on a side street. A small, intimate place to stay off the beaten track and away from the buzz and congestion of typical hotels. Free wine tasting, cheese, cookies, etc. in the lobby area each evening and continental type breakfasts that allowed interaction and conversations with other guests. Would definitely recommend it to those couples and singles looking for a quiet, enjoyable place to stay in San Franciso. I would not, however, recommend it for families with young children. Most guests were at or approaching middle-aged or beyond with no children and there are no amentities on the property (other than TV's in the rooms) to keep youngsters occupied or interested.

European grace and stytle

by TripAdvisor Member mymaruska

We frequently stay in the large hotels when visiting San Francisco so we decided to try this after friends reported how lovely it is. The atmosphere is very European and I agree with most of the reviews regarding the style and grace of this B & B. We did attend the complimentary wine and cheese each night which was a great start to our evening. Breakfast was always served on time and was exactly what we ordered. The granola is fantastic: filled with nuts and whole grains. Location is perfect and we walked everywhere. The staff was fantastic and absolutely eager to help and make our stay wonderful. They succeeded. Upon checking out the manager quietly approached us and asked how we enjoyed our stay. She did care and was appreciative of our positive comments. This is a treasure!

Wonderful rooms, people and location!

by TripAdvisor Member cotney

Loved it! Rooms were nicely appointed (we had three) with clean bathrooms, complimentary bottled water and TV. We enjoyed the wine & cheese in the afternoons as well as the complimentary breakfast each morning (which could be delivered to your room or eaten downstairs--your choice). The hotel had a HUGE selection of travel guides available for guest use, and we found the desk clerk to be extremely helpful with directions. Location across the street from Washington Square was perfect for walking all over SF. Our only suggestion would be better towels, but that's a minor issue given all the pluses this gem has to offer!

North Beach

by alanandkate

Hi, we are travelling to San Francisco in March and wanted to stay in the North Beach area, can anyone recommend any nice hotels...thanks Alan & Kate

by joscadi

Try the Washington Square Inn. It's right in the heart of North Beach, on Washington Square. It's also next to Moose's a very cool restaurant. Try this webiste http://www.wsisf.com/

by alanandkate

thanks...Alan

by SFHulaGIrl

There's also La Boheme, right on Columbus Avenue.

by stephen.g

Hello to find a good hotel at a good price in San Francisco go to http://passport2.worldventures.com and enter San Francisco, CA under Hotel search and check button that searches by price, it will come up with all hotels listed by price. Good luck on your travels.

Edward II Inn & Suites

by vante

Hi,

We are planning to go to SF this summer (from Sweden) and we found this hotel online: http://www.edwardii.com/hotel-pensione.shtml

It seems really nice, but does anyone know if this is a good place to stay? or do you have other recommendations on accommodation in San Francisco?

Thanks!

by lostsooner55

You might look at the following web sites: (1) Washington Square Inn: www.wsisf.com. This hotel is located in the North Beach area of San Francisco. (2) www.grosvenorsuites.com: Ignore the monthly rate shown, just type your dates in the "availability" box. The apartments have kitchens, which can save you a bit of money, and allows you to dine more on your own schedule, on food of your own choosing. Gary

by yvr

I believe this is the property located at Lombard and Scott in the Marina District. The property gets very mixed reviews. Either they get very high marks from past guests or extremely low marks from past guests. The property was built in the early 1900's. Lombard Street is a very busy and noisy street as it is the gateway to the Golden Gate Bridge, it also is not near the center of the city, you will have to use public transportation for anywhere you wish to go. Saying that however, public transportation is excellent in the city.

by USanFrancisco

Unless you are renting a car, I would not stay here. Lombard is good for people who have cars because most hotels don't charge for parking. The hotel is located on Scott, which is too far to walk to Fisherman's Wharf. Scott is near the Presido and Golden Gate Bridge. To get to any other district you will have to take a multiple buses for most places.

What are their rates? If it's cheap and don't want to increase your budget by much, I'd choose Cow Hollow Motor Inn, it's still located on Lombard, but is at least walking distance to Ghirardelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf. I've stayed at this hotel before and the rooms are nice and large. No amenities though (pool, sauna, etc but it's typical of the hotels around this area).

Small Hotel in San Francisco

by trek4500

I'm looking for a small Hotel (15 - 20 rooms) in a nice neighbourgh in San Francisco, similar style than Brooklyn in NYC.
Thank you very much from Madrid (Spain)

by lostsooner55

I'm not sure what "Brooklyn" style hotel means. Here are a couple of links for you to look at though. The first link: http://www.wsisf.com, is for the Washington Square Inn, which is located in the North Beach area of San Francisco. The second link: http://www.panamahotel.com, is for a very unique, small hotel in San Rafael, about 15 miles north of San Francisco. If you were staying at the Panama, the public transportation links are a bit tricky. It actually would be best to have a car to travel to San Francisco from there, at least until you were comfotable with the transport options which include both bus and ferry boat. If these suggestions don't meet your needs, let me know, and We can look at other options. Gary

by zuriga

Look at The White Swan or Le Petit Auberge. They are both lovely, small hotels near the center of town.

by YVRDave

The Sherman House

by trek4500

Thank you very much, Gary!!

Thank you, June!!

You are welcome ! Gary

by zuriga

Thanks for the thanks! Enjoy your trip. June

Hi, Griff
A little bit expensive, I think. But thanks a lot,
ch

by gabymsk3

We stayed in the Marina Inn at Octavia and Lombard Sts. Thought it was so cute and the people that worked there were so nice and helpful. The rooms were a little worn (emphasis on little, it was still ok), but the hotel itself and area were convenient to everything we wanted and it was pretty inexpensive too. I'd stay there again if I visited.

ch

by lgl4726

I really love the Inn at Union Square. It is within walking distance of the cable car line and there are lots of shops, and restaurants near by. It is a really cute place and the service is really good.

by lostsooner55

In one of the other San Francisco threads the following link was given for the Grosvenor Suites, which is located in very nice location: http://www.grosvenorsuites.com. Disregard the high monthly prices, you can rent their apartments, which have kitchenettes, by the day. They also offer a rebate for booking online. GARY

by trek4500

Thanks! And try the Spanish wine!

by JimGunther

Gosh - it would be hard to beat the Andrews Hotel on Post St.
I haven't stayed there in 8 or 10 years but if you're looking for a boutique kind of experience, I think you'll be happy. Walk everywhere!

You are welcome. Gary