432 Geary Street, San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

Travelocity Booking.com Tingo.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Great location and price

This 2* hotel is just off Union Square with easy access to the cable cars on Powel Street and Muni trolleys down on Market Street with a number of MUNI bus routes within easy walking distance. Whilst the hotel is clearly older, my room was freshly decorated and looked like it had recently had the bathroom refurbished. Basic room with a view straight into the multi-storey car park (who needs a hotel room view when there are tons of great places to get great views across the whole of San Francisco), the room rates are much lower than most other hotels, even those at a similar star rating, in the area. Simple double bed with wardrobe but for those on a tight budget, they will be pleased by the small refridgerator and microwave in the room. Would recommend this to anyone looking for a clean, cheap stay in the Union Square area.

Unique Quality: Fridge and microwave in the room - something quite unique for a US hotel! Great take aways and restaurants in the immediate area.

Directions: Directly opposite the ACT Theatre on Geary Street.

• Unsatisfied

Overall, I was not satisfied with this hotel. I could think of more negative aspects than positives ones.
    Positives:
    1. Located in a prime location.
    2. Staff are friendly and helpful.

Negatives:
    1 Don’t let the lobby fool you into thinking this is a grand hotel. We were given a key – an actual key, not a card access key. The lock was flimsy.
    2 Old building, floor creaks, crumbling walls, dim lighting. Resembles an apartment complex.
    3. Stuffy room throughout stay, even with the windows open.
    4. The carpeting is disgusting. Bring slippers/flip flops.
    5. The bathroom area: There is an opening with mirror and a sink and then there’s a door that leads to a tub and the toilet. Some might like this setup. However, I did not.
    6. Very little water pressure. It sprinkles. And it takes a while for the water to reach the desired temperature.
    7. No complementary items, ie shampoo, conditioner, shower caps. There are towels however. No coffee pot/maker in your room - there's a pot downstairs in the lobby.
    8. Pillows were tiny. Bring something that you don’t mind using as a makeshift pillow. The bed was a nightmare. It makes noises every time you sit up, turn over, move, or even move your head. I think the noise is from a plastic/ vinyl wrapped mattress.
    9. As if the noise from the bed is not enough, it is extremely noisy outside. The room I was staying in faces the street, across from a theatre. You will hear traffic, by, cars honking, people screaming to each other, and sirens ALL night long. Good luck sleeping.

Given the choice, I would not stay at this hotel again. I should’ve paid more and stayed at nicer hotel. However, if you are a budgeted traveler and don’t mind all of the above, this is an option for you. But if you are looking for a hotel for a family vacation or even for business travelers, I suggest you pay the extra money for a nicer room. There are plenty of nicer looking hotels in the area.

Unique Quality: It is located in a prime location, close to restaurants, bars, shops, sites and transportation. The Powell Bart/Muni train station is within walking distance; convenient bus stop down the street; cable cars ½ a block away. There are a selection of restaurants surrounding the hotel and in area, so you will not starve.

• AngelRed's Profile Photo

No Room service, good price and location

What can I say. When I vacation, I don't spend time in the hotel except to sleep. So I don't really care how great it is.

I require working faucets, working lights, clean room, clean bedsheets, no bugs or rodents. The Union Square Plaza hotel provided all of these, along with a reliable elevator, for $50 a night. And it was a block from Union Square.

Not too bad.

Unique Quality: The front lobby has a nice old Victorian look, which is probably authentic, judging from how old the building is. I guess they never redecorated.

Directions: Across the American Conservatory Theatre on Geary

More about Union Square Plaza Hotel

Shop 'til you drop!

by Jefie

The Union Square area is mostly known as San Francisco's shopping district. All the big department stores can be found on the streets that border the Union Square Plaza, along with some upscale boutiques and plenty of more affordable stores. Many of the city's most popular hotels are also located around Union Square, mostly thanks to its central location and easy access to public transportation. Union Square itself, a lively plaza at the center of which stands the Victory monument, is a fun place to hang out. We once stopped for lunch at the Emporio Rulli Caffe (http://www.rulli.com/il_caffe.php), located right on the Square. We enjoyed a nice salad and a good glass of wine on their outdoor terrace and had fun watching people walk around with their arms full of shopping bags! I too did my very best to do the whole shopping thing one evening. I even found a store - Forever 21 - that I really liked, but I quickly realized that it's a bit difficult for someone of my height and size to shop in the US, nothing fits! Thank goodness there was a Ghirardelli Chocolate store and a huge Borders bookstore to save the day - in the end I came back to our hotel with plenty of chocolate squares and four new novels :o)

Hill City

by Gillybob

I had a great stay in San Francisco. The Union Square Plaza Hotel was my first location, just two blocks off Union Square and about 5 blocks from Market Street. Its a great location for getting around the sights as its an easy downhill walk to Market Street to board the F Line to take you down to the ferry building, Pier 39 or Fisherman's Wharf.

The one thing to remember, and its self-evident as soon as you get there, is that left, right, forwards, backwards, north, south, east or west you'll either have to walk up or down a hill! There's no going round them!

I spent my first day just having a wander around the Union Square area and getting my bearings (as well as doing a lot of resting after a hectic 4 days in Las Vegas).

Day 2 started with the F Line down to Pier 33 for my tour of Alcatraz. There's a lot of history to this island (and a lot of birds which made it a little bit on the stinky side when I was there). I already knew the fable of the Birdman of Alcatraz (yes folks, its only a Hollywood film) but didn't know anything about the native American occupation or its military history. The tour was interesting and informative and, after the walk up the hill to the main prison building, a nice leisurely stroll. After returning to port, I decided to walk up to Coit Tower - all 400 steps!!! Up here, there are great views in every direction but if you haven't got it in you for the climb, bus number 39 can take you up there instead. I then walked from Coit Tower down Lombard Street to the crookedest street part before boarding the cable car back to Union Square - plenty of exercise!!!

Day 3 was more relaxed with a nice ferry trip over to Sausalito which is really quaint and full of galleries and boutique shops - one for the ladies maybe guys!

Day 4 was another walking day as I decided to walk the length of Golden Gate Park. First was a short stop at Alamo Square to check out the 'painted ladies' before heading onwards to the Golden Gate Park. Its a lovely walk through the park but its quite difficult to make your way through without seemingly always ending back up at the main roads that wander through the park. Of course, that took me close to The Bridge which is a great sight from close up.

My last day in San Francisco (after a 2 day detour to Yosemite) was great. I met up with SFHula_Girl and she showed me North Beach before we went down to the Palace of Fine Arts which I had written off but I'm glad we went as its a magnificent building.

Be prepared when travelling to San Francisco - either get yourself a MUNI pass or be prepared to get plenty of exercise. I lost 10lbs on this trip and the bulk of it was from all the walking up and down hills I did in San Francisco. A MUNI pass will allow you to travel on all but the cable cars so can be great value but I really enjoy walking around cities and seeing them at my own pace.

I had considered a city tour but given that I had 5 full days, I chose instead to see the city at my own pace at the sacrifice of a side trip to Napa Valley.

Looking for a cheap hotel in the Union Square area?

by Ilovemypitbull

The hotel can be bare bones basic, with a private bathroom, without a concierge and without parking. I just want it to be in union square or fairly close (Forget the tenderloin) and it would be in a safe area. I am looking at spending no more than 70$ per night.

by bluwes

Try the Grant Hotel on Bush St near China Town .We are staying there in March on recommendation from a friend who is local ,and wouldnt let me down !!!!!!!!!!!!! would he?

by jessicadf

Have you tried priceline or hotels.com?

by tracys2cents

The King George is often mentioned as a bargain but I'm not sure of the price. Prices will fluctuate quite a bit depending on your dates of travel anyway

Re: Re: Looking for a cheap hotel in the Union Square area?

by jessicadf

Yep, King George gets listed a lot. You can frequently find hotels in the Union Square area for ~$99 specials, especially on weekends. However, I'm not sure about something as inexpensive as $70 (that's not in the tenderloin). There's a hostel in the Union Square area that would be about right...

Anyway, that's why I suggested priceline or hotels.com

by wiamy

yes, try priceline. You can visiting biddingfortravel.com first before you bid on priceline. Good luck!

by Ginnodo

My wife and I recently stayed at the Golden Gate Hotel while researching our second travel book. It's located at 775 Bush Street, three blocks from Union Station, 415-392-3702, fax 415-392-6202

by Ginnodo

In my earlier post, I forgot to mention the per night cost at the Golden Gate Hotel: $85. Nice, small, clean, convenient hotel. -- Bill Ginnodo

by guell

Have you check out the discounts offered by local merchants here on VT?

Have a great trip!

RE: Looking for a cheap hotel in the Union Square area?

by mgurung

we have booked our rooms at the union square plaza hotel for our upcoming trip to sanfran. it sounds good, i called to make reservation, the guy on the phone was very helpful, and its only $49 a night for a standard room. i got the info on the hotel from the lonely planet webpage.
union square plaza hotel
432 geary street
san francisco ca 94102
phone 415-776-7585
fax 415-776-4749
good luck

RE: RE: Looking for a cheap hotel in the Union Square area?

by tracys2cents

Clean OLD hotel. Bring your own shampoo to the Union Square Plaza because they don't provide ANY frills.

Comments