Union Square Plaza Hotel
in San Francisco
- Union Street Inn
- The Parsonage
- Ocean Beach Bed and Breakfast
- Annie's Cottage Bed and Breakfast
- Hotel Drisco
- Clift - Morgans Hotel Group
- Town House Motel
- Ramada Limited & Suites San Francisco Airport
- Hotel Cosmo
- Hostelling International San Francisco City Center
Great location and price
This 2* hotel is just off Union Square with easy access to the cable cars on Powel Street and Muni trolleys down on Market Street with a number of MUNI bus routes within easy walking distance. Whilst the hotel is clearly older, my room was freshly decorated and looked like it had recently had the bathroom refurbished. Basic room with a view straight into the multi-storey car park (who needs a hotel room view when there are tons of great places to get great views across the whole of San Francisco), the room rates are much lower than most other hotels, even those at a similar star rating, in the area. Simple double bed with wardrobe but for those on a tight budget, they will be pleased by the small refridgerator and microwave in the room. Would recommend this to anyone looking for a clean, cheap stay in the Union Square area.
Unique Quality: Fridge and microwave in the room - something quite unique for a US hotel! Great take aways and restaurants in the immediate area.
Directions: Directly opposite the ACT Theatre on Geary Street.
Overall, I was not satisfied with this hotel. I could think of more negative aspects than positives ones.
1. Located in a prime location.
2. Staff are friendly and helpful.
1 Don’t let the lobby fool you into thinking this is a grand hotel. We were given a key – an actual key, not a card access key. The lock was flimsy.
2 Old building, floor creaks, crumbling walls, dim lighting. Resembles an apartment complex.
3. Stuffy room throughout stay, even with the windows open.
4. The carpeting is disgusting. Bring slippers/flip flops.
5. The bathroom area: There is an opening with mirror and a sink and then there’s a door that leads to a tub and the toilet. Some might like this setup. However, I did not.
6. Very little water pressure. It sprinkles. And it takes a while for the water to reach the desired temperature.
7. No complementary items, ie shampoo, conditioner, shower caps. There are towels however. No coffee pot/maker in your room - there's a pot downstairs in the lobby.
8. Pillows were tiny. Bring something that you don’t mind using as a makeshift pillow. The bed was a nightmare. It makes noises every time you sit up, turn over, move, or even move your head. I think the noise is from a plastic/ vinyl wrapped mattress.
9. As if the noise from the bed is not enough, it is extremely noisy outside. The room I was staying in faces the street, across from a theatre. You will hear traffic, by, cars honking, people screaming to each other, and sirens ALL night long. Good luck sleeping.
Given the choice, I would not stay at this hotel again. I should’ve paid more and stayed at nicer hotel. However, if you are a budgeted traveler and don’t mind all of the above, this is an option for you. But if you are looking for a hotel for a family vacation or even for business travelers, I suggest you pay the extra money for a nicer room. There are plenty of nicer looking hotels in the area.
Unique Quality: It is located in a prime location, close to restaurants, bars, shops, sites and transportation. The Powell Bart/Muni train station is within walking distance; convenient bus stop down the street; cable cars ½ a block away. There are a selection of restaurants surrounding the hotel and in area, so you will not starve.
No Room service, good price and location
What can I say. When I vacation, I don't spend time in the hotel except to sleep. So I don't really care how great it is.
I require working faucets, working lights, clean room, clean bedsheets, no bugs or rodents. The Union Square Plaza hotel provided all of these, along with a reliable elevator, for $50 a night. And it was a block from Union Square.
Not too bad.
Unique Quality: The front lobby has a nice old Victorian look, which is probably authentic, judging from how old the building is. I guess they never redecorated.
Directions: Across the American Conservatory Theatre on Geary
Nearby Union Square Plaza Hotel
Nearby HotelsSee all 334
The Donatello Hotel 255 feet away
Hotel Diva 288 feet away
Union Square Backpacker's Hostel 290 feet away
Warwick San Francisco Hotel 297 feet away
Touchstone Hotel 308 feet away
Nearby AttractionsSee all 106
Union Square 0.2 miles away
Grace Cathedral 0.3 miles away
Metreon 0.4 miles away
Nob Hill 0.4 miles away
Yerba Buena Gardens 0.4 miles away
Union Square Plaza Hotel
We've found that other people looking for this hotel also know it by these names:
- Hotel Union Square Plaza
- Union Square Plaza San Francisco
Address: 432 Geary Street, San Francisco, California, 94102, United States
Amenities at Union Square Plaza Hotel
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Continental Breakfast
San Francisco Travel Forum
Need advice about San Francisco, California? Visit the Travel Forum for San Francisco and ask our Answer Gurus.