Villa Florence - A Kimpton Hotel

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Thommmo56's Profile Photo

Great Location

stayed 5 nights, rooms were a bit small but only there to sleep. Bathroom was very clean with top quality toileteries. Would stay again and recommend it to anybody for a good centrally located hotel. Front desk staff were excellent

Unique Quality: Excellent location right near Union square. Trams right at the door, BART 100 yards away, plenty of eateries nearby, all the top name shops also within easy walk

Directions: Union Square

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Plain awful!

A friend of mine had told me about this bidding site (priceline) that would allow you to bid on a specific area, not knowing the Hotel you would get. I tried it and ended up with this one.
    I read some reviews on the net and was looking forward to our stay.

I had specifically asked for a non-smoking room and when we opened the door there was such an intense odor that I could hardly breathe. The room must also have been badly affected by an earthquake as the floor was uphill entering the door.
    Of course the view was over a wall which was about 1 meter from the window. This also made it impossible to open any of them, you could only slide them open a little bit (about 10 cm), so it was not possible to "change the air" in the room.

It was a bit late so we rushed out for dinner, as soon as I came back I told the person at the reception (the same one that had checked us in) about our problem and that I wanted to change room. I was told no and that if I wanted a maid could go upstairs and "spray" the room.
    Since he said that with a very sarcastic smile, I figured there was no use in insisting and at that time I am sure the manager was long gone.

The next day at check-out the person was much nicer, apologized and said that I should have been given a new room.

When I came back home I wrote an email to the Hotel manager and was ignored, after a second attempt I got a reply with an apology and stating that "the maid should have come up with an ozone machine to purify the air" - Unbelievable.

Parking was $33, I suggest you try to find an alternative.

It actually seemed like a nice hotel, the soap and lotion in the bathroom were good quality, the bed was large and there was a large TV and a DVD player. Location was very good too, but I would never stay there again with that kind of service.

• JoeNYC's Profile Photo

Good choice

Villa Florence is a good choice for mid-range hotels. The hotel is steps away from Union Square so it's in a good area if you're in San Fran for business or travel. The rooms are not too big, but big enough. Some can get loud so ask for a quite one. The free wine every day at 5 is a great bargain and the restaurant connected to the lobby is a great choice.

Directions: Union Square area

More about Villa Florence - A Kimpton Hotel

loved villa florence

by TripAdvisor Member lori_torr

I stayed in the Villa Florence not too long ago, and found the beds to be fantastic, and the decor charming. It is right next to an excellent restaurant, and in the middle of everything. I think we got some great deal at about $120 per night, and we arrived in the middle of the night, and service was still excellent. I think there is a complimentary wine reception each night also. it is a great location.

Kuleto Restaurant on Powell...

by Jeannette1

Kuleto Restaurant on Powell Street in Villa Florence Hotel is an excellent restaurant in San Francisco...good food and atmosphere as well as great location near Union Square. Here is Zagat, a good comprehensive guide to San Francisco restaurants You can find restaurants by neighborhoods and by cuisine in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Lived up to all expectations

by TripAdvisor Member katehighlands

After extensive research on hotels in this price range, the Villa Florence delivered. I travel a lot for work, staying at Hyatts/Marriotts/Hiltons, etc. This is not like those, but I would recommend it if you are looking for a nice smaller hotel. The down bed was extremely comfy, service great (esp Tony Z/X)flat screen tv, and the location was fantastic - very safe and in the middle of everything. Drawbacks? Just a window air conditioner, but it was fine. I looked at the Savoy, a similarly priced hotel, but would not have stayed there due to that hotel's location. Go to the Villa Florence, ask for a larger room on check-in, away from the street, buy a City Pass if you're in San Fran for several days - the street car runs right in front of the hotel!

Fabulous hotel

by TripAdvisor Member lindos_lover

My wife and I have just spent 3 nights at the Villa Florence and it really is a cut above most hotels, and great value - we paid $95 + tax. It is very individual with lots of nice touches - nothing like a big chain hotel. The location is excellent, near Union Square and the cable car runs by outside the door! We asked for and got a room at the back which was very quiet - just a view of a wall but that's fine for the lack of noise. Many restaurants nearby and the area is safe.

Good for the Money

Villa Florence was great once we moved to a quiet room with no views but that was better than the loud noise. On the first day we had one bed for the three of us because we booked with hotel.
We had to see the next day if there was another room available and there was. The beds are very comfortable and a great location. We paid total of 520.00 for 4 nights 8/16-8/19/2004. Free coffee but it ends at 7:00 a.m. Too early for us.

Che Bella!!

I just returned from two nights at the Villa Florence with my boyfriend. We had a wonderful time staying here. The location is superb-- right in Union Square. There are tons of shopping nearby and good restaurants.

Our room was very comfortable. We had a down comforter and soft sheets. Aveda products in the bathroom were a nice extra touch. Although it is not a spacious hotel room, it was sufficient for two people travelling together. The lobby of the hotel is elegant. There is a bar and an upscale Italian restaurant.

For the most part, staff was pleasant. One gentleman at the concierge didn't do a very good job of recommending restaurants for people on a budget, or assisting us make reservations, but he was an exception to the others who were mostly kind.

We did hear sufficient noise outside our room from the street below in the early morning hours. I would have preferred an inside, courtyard room-- but those rooms were full when we checked in.

I was a little disappointed that this could not by accomodated since I had called ahead one week to request a quiet room. I think there was some difficulty requesting this because I reserved this hotel through Priceline (but at $64 a night I wasn't going to complain!)

Other nice amenities are the complimentary robes and a complimentary yoga basket to borrow during your stay.

I would highly recommend this hotel to others!

A great hotel

This was one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. It's right in the middle of touristy downtown (Powell Street car goes right by the front door and Union Square just steps away). The room I was in was back away from the street (requested when I made the reservation) and it was quiet. Nice furnishings, comfortable bed, big TV. It's an older building so the floor creaks a little, but then again it's billed as an older European-type Italian pensione. I would stay at this hotel again.

Kuleto's inside Villa Florence HotelKuleto's inside Villa Florence Hotel

Palomar at Fourth Street or Villa Florence at 225 Powell?

by Magdalenka_G

Hi,
I know there's many great people willing to share their traveler's knowledge here when I need you! I have another hotel dilemma and would appreciate thoughts on the location/safety of the following two hotel options:
1. Palomar at 4th street and 2. Villa Florence at Powell. I will need to be staying close to Marriott at 4th street, but I believe both hotels are walking distance there, so it really is no problem. The difference in the price per night is quite noticeable ($192 for Palomar, while $156 for Villa Florence), especially that we need to spend 10 nights there. I have seen Villa has much worse reviews on tripadvisor and I am not sure if we should try saving some money by staying there or rather try cutting some other expenses instead. What about the proximity to Tenderloin - where does it really "start" - what should we avoid?

I will really appreciate all your comments!

Re: Palomar at Fourth Street or Villa Florence at 225 Powell?

by YVRDave

The Villa Florence is at Union Square, across the street from Macy's and The St. Francis. The only bad rooms would be over looking the back, they are run by the same company, Kimpton Hotels. The Villa has a ground floor restaurant that is much busier than the 5th Floor of the Palomar. Both are nice hotels
You are not close to any Tenderloin district.

Re: Palomar at Fourth Street or Villa Florence at 225 Powell?

by yvr

If you decide on the Villa Florence, you may have to contend with hearing the ringing of the cable car bells as the pass the hotel. They are quite loud, and if you a light sleeper this may bother you. Be sure if you decide on the Villa you definately get a room in located in the front, I think, however regardless of which room you get you will hear the bell.

Comments