W Hotel San Francisco

W San Francisco
Booking.com Expedia.com WHotels.com

Costs 77% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• jwward1234's Profile Photo

A cool hotel experience in a great city

A relaxing home away from home right in the middle of the city. The W has all the amenities one desires so you don't have to leave the property. San Francisco is a wonderful city, so you will, but if you want some a private hideaway the W is the ticket.

Directions: South of Market. At night it can be dicey. Travel by cab or walk east or north.

• sinjabc's Profile Photo

Modern, Comfortable and Fun

Stayed one night at the W Hotel downtown. Loved the music in the lobby, ambience at night (lobby becomes a bar in the evening), customer service and swank rooms. Had a room with a beautiful view of the Yerba Buena Gardens.

Unique Quality: Very comfortable bed and robes. Regular rooms are a bit small. I would prefer a larger room if I were to stay more than one night.

Great location beside the SFMOMA just off of Union Square. A few blocks from the downtown shopping core.

Directions: 3rd Street at Howard Street near Union Square

• sahel578's Profile Photo

Costly Blah

I had heard such good things about this chain, so I was excited to book a room and services at their Bliss spa.

1. The staff was very courteous and asked at every chance if there was anything that they could arrange for us.

2. The room was quite boring. I was a bit put off with the very high charge for in-room internet access (min. $15) when lower cost hotels/motels offer it for free. There was the bottles of water next to the bed with very small print informing of the cost. It was like the hotel was trying to nickel and dime each guest to death. The bathroom was very blah, cheap fixtures and not very clean. But on the flip side, the Bliss toiletries were nice. (At least we were not charged for those too). The room decor was blah, the television old and dated (I was kind of surprised at this). But the bed was excellently soft.

3. Between the blaring techno music at all hours in the lobby and the shrieking people in the halls all through the night, it was hard to enjoy the soft bed.

4. The Bliss spa was excellent, however. The service was somewhat prompt, very attentive and an overall wonderful experience from the moment you stepped onto the floor.

I dont think that I would ever stay at this hotel again, but I would certainly return to the spa.

• frannykt's Profile Photo

Posh and Swank

The W Hotel is one of the best accomodations you can get in San Francisco. It's not right in the heart of Union Square or the Theatre district, but it's directly next to the SF MOMA and the Sony Metreon (as well as the park where the SF Giants play!)

It is very comfortable and I highly recommend it if you have the $$

Unique Quality: the W has beautiful rooms, Aveda shampoo & conditioner, fashionable along with a very cool lobby and a good bar / restaurant.

Directions: Third Street & Howard (South of Market)

• too flash for it's own good

This hotel is flash!!

Enjoyed the hotel - good food, great cocktails - but expensive and the restaurant and bar get really busy at weekend. Rooms quite small but well appointed and comfortable. Staff are very good but trying really hard to be cool.

Not sure about the area the hotel is in - girlfriend didn't feel comfortable sometimes at night. Will probably be OK when it's finished but it will probably have lost some of it's character by then.

All in all enjoyed the hotel but stayed in the W in Seattle on the same trip and enjoyed it more.

Lastly bear in mind there is a firehouse right next door so be prepared for some noise!!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Upscale, expensive stay in SF

This week, I had a short trip to San Francisco, so I chose to try out the W Hotel San Fran.

I was not very impressed with the hotel, however my expectations were high based on W's normal service level.

My room was not ready upon my noon arrival time, which was not a good start. Secondly, I parked my car there... which was $45 dollars a night!!!!

Then... at 45 dollars a night parking fee, the valet noticed my tire pressure was low when he parked the car... but did he bother to call my room and tell me? NO... he just wrote it on the ticket, so at 8am the next morning when I had to get to an important business meeting... I had a flat tire to deal with!!

Overall, the room is very nice, and the service from the check-in staff was excellent... but beware of the valet!

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Feeling like a star!

We had no idea where we were ended up. We already made the reservation for this hotel via the internet back home. The price we had to pay was a very special offer.

We learned that the W Hotel in San Francisco is quite something special. They call it a "sophisticated spirit", we just call it class and style. But we were glad we didn't have to pay the full amount! Phoeee...!!!

Unique Quality: Recently named to Travel and Leisure's 2003 "Greatest Hotels in the World".

Also internet access in all rooms and therefore we were able to sent all our friends back home an email how we were doing.

Directions: Set in the heart of downtown San Francisco's "South of Market".

• kumachan200x's Profile Photo

MODERN

Set in the heart of downtown San Francisco's "South of Market," W San Francisco stands out with the offbeat, yet sophisticated spirit of the city it calls home. Literally stands out. On the Third Street Frieze of W San Francisco, towering 46 feet above street level, is a fantastic reclining figure made of irregularly sheared bronze strips woven together. Conceived by a local artist to complement to the neo-classical design of W San Francisco, the figure (with one arm draped casually over the edge of the podium) also reflects W's whimsical reinvention of public and private space. Experience it for yourself.

Unique Quality: Located at Third Street and Howard, W San Francisco is adjacent to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and directly across from the Moscone Center. In an important part of the new development area called "Yerba Buena Gardens," we are five blocks from Union Square and just steps from an eclectic array of boutiques, theaters and galleries. The Metreon, a new high-tech Sony entertainment center that includes a multi-screen theater, is just one block away.

• Stasigrace's Profile Photo

Too hip for the room

This hotel is trying to cater to people like me but seemed to have been designed either by nerds who don't understand what truly cool is, or middle-aged people who also don't understand coolness.

Anyway, it was fine, they just tried to hard to be cool.

Unique Quality: It's just the hippest place ever...or so it thinks. It's kind of so over-the-top in it's love of itself that you have to giggle.

Nice pool, though. The room was cozy (read: tiny) but had views of some bridge (not Golden Gate).

Best toiletries and bed I've ever had in a hotel, I say with all honesty. And I plan to someday buy one of the robes (when I save up 100 bucks for it).

Comments