3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

490 Geary Street, (formerly The Warwick Regis), San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

Expedia.com Warwickhotels.com Orbitz.com

Costs 95% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Worst Hotel Ever

We were booked there for 3 nights - however, after entering the room which was advertised as a 'big' room we were very disappointed. Very very old furniture and NO air condition. All we had was a ceiling fan - this was not mentioned in the online booking service.
    The room was facing West and when we arrived it was super hot in there (outside temperature during the day was in the 90's).
    To even be able to sleep we had to open the windows - big mistake, since somebody across the street decided to jetspray the sidewalk at 1am in the morning with a huge fuel fired compressor on an idling truck.
    This already says it all about the neighborhood this hotel is located - but this is subject to preferences, so you decide yourself.
    The bed - man, what a nightmare. Unable to describe but I really think the mattress was from a thrift shop.
    The wooden floor is very uneven and makes huge noises when attempting to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
    Oh, did I mention that the bathroom is actually not even a bathroom... there is only a bathtub and the toilet -- sink, mirror etc. outside of the bathroom in the already cramped up and small bedroom.
    Even though I booked the Warwick from good experience in Seattle, the San Francisco Warwick is not worth any money, not to speak of 149 bucks a night in not even a king size bed...
    Saying it is a dump (also that thrift shop smell there) is an understatement.
    We did spend the rest of the nights in a different hotel close to the Wharf - in a room which did hold all the 'promises'...

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

European Elegance

I've stayed here 3-4 times and have no complaints -- marble bathrooms, four-poster or canopy beds, armoires, terrycloth robes, hairdryers, mini bars, and color cable TV. My favorite rooms are the corner ones.

Unique Quality: Parking, La Scene Cafe & Bar, meeting rooms, non-smoking rooms.

Directions: Union Square area

More about Warwick Regis Hotel

Warwick Regis A+

by TripAdvisor Member pryncesscharity

Excellent little "boutique" hotel! Very Friendly staff! Perfect Location! We stayed in the Warwick Regis for 4 nights over the 4th of July weekend. Our stay was excellent! Perfect experience. Yes, the rooms are a little small and the sink/vanity is outside of the bathroom...but overall the rooms are very nice! They are decorated well and kept very clean! There is a safe and a fridge for you to use during your stay! There were free cookies and tea in the afternoon and chocolates on our turned-down bed at night! Free coffee would have been nice but they didn't have any. The good news is...there is a Starbucks like 3 doors down. Like I said excellent location. The only downside... was parking. It was pretty expensive ($29/night plus taxes etc), but what do you expect so close to Union Square in downtown San Fran. I would definetly recommend the Warwick Regis hotel.

Repeat guest- still impressed!

by TripAdvisor Member napagirl

We first found out about this hotel from some of our friends... two different couples at different times... who raved about the Warwick Regis and said it's where they always stay when they drive into the city (we live only an hour or so away). So we tried it for the first time about four years ago and have stayed there on average two or three times a year since then.
Pros:
Extremely safe, convenient location, walking distance to pretty much everything we need or want
Other locations in the city are just a quick cab ride away
Welcoming and helpful staff
Lovely, unique, traditional decor in each room and beds (some canopy beds) are comfortable
Meticulously clean and nicely arranged rooms
Great bar in lobby for pre-dinner cocktails or people watching
Delicious breakfast in the restaurant
Excellent affordable pricing- you can get great deals on their website
Several choices for rooms, including Deluxe rooms, and Jr. Suites
Terrific spa products in the baths
Turn-down service is a nice touch
Removable Window fans that fit in the windowsills and suck in the cool night air

Cons:
One side of the hotel faces a Walgreen's Drug store- not the most special of San Francisco views
San Francisco streets, like any big city's, are NOISY throughout the night. That's a fact. You will hear the noise even on the upper floors.
No A/C- rooms can get stuffy- but there are seriously only about 10 days a year in SF that you would even want A/C
Rooms are small. It's worth upgrading to at least the Deluxe and even better, the jr. Suite. A size upgrade makes a big difference and can often be done at little cost
I have had difficulty getting the front desk to recommend certain rooms- they are noncommittal at best
Lobby is small (but really lovely) and lobby/restaurant restrooms are in the basement, down a long hallway with offices and maintenance closets, past workers talking about stuff you don't want to hear about (I"d rather not hear details about the innermost workings of a hotel and workers complaining about mgmt, etc.)

We travel a lot and live in a tourist area ourselves, and every month or so we find ourselves craving a stay at the Warwick Regis. A really nice feeling hotel and a great home base for exploring San Francisco- and it won't cost you a fortune!!

Central / close to Union Sq

by TripAdvisor Member London929

My partner and I had a room for 4 nights and we have no complaints. The Hotel is very close to Union SQ and Market Street. We walked to the train station (for the airport-train). We had dinner at Max on the Square just a few minutes down the road.
The Hotel offers free shower gel et. and is clean.
Romm was of a good size. Would stay again.

Convienient but small

I purchased this boutique hotel through Priceline. The hotel is near Union Square which makes it convienient to both the sights of SF as well as transit. Parking at the hotel was 29.00 per day plus 4.00 tax (which is par for the area). The hotel allows in and out privledges. The hotel was renovated in the late 1980's and is starting to show its age. The standard rooms are very small and are configured with a single queen bed. If you have more than two people in your party you will want to consider upgrading to a larger room. The room was clean and the hotel staff was attentive and helpful. This hotel (probably like many other in SF) did not seem to have AC. The area the hotel is in (Union Square) was not very touristy like Fisherman's Wharf. Keep this fact in mind when travelling with kids.

Gem in Union Square

by TripAdvisor Member AllisonC

I wasn't sure what to expect after reading other reviews, but I had a wonderful experience at the Warwick. It's in a great location just two blocks from Union Square, has cozy, clean rooms, and a very helpful and attentive staff. We found a great deal for only $118 per night, too. The rooms are small, but remember this is a European-style boutique hotel. There was plenty of space for my husband and I in our room, and we didn't book a suite. Other reviewers have complained about street noise, but we had peace and quiet in our room on the top floor. When we checked in I requested the highest room available and even though the hotel was fully booked, they put us on the top floor. I highly recommend this hotel.

Clean, Quiet & Convenient Locale

by TripAdvisor Member SeminarTrekker

I stayed at this Hotel, just steps away from the City's Theatre district to attend a seminar at the Crowne Plaza, north of Union Square. My walk to the seminar hotel was around 15 minutes. I stayed during the beginning of March of 2006. There are many resturants and food stores nearby. My check in and check out were smooth and the front desk staff were friendly and helpful.
Rooms were old but clean and the cleaning staff did a very good job of cleaning the room each day. The sink is actually in the room and not in the bathroom.
Since I was spending most of my time at the seminar, I did not spend too much time in my room. If I was staying with my girlfriend in the City, I'd probably stay somewhere more upscale. But if your looking for a convenient, clean, quiet no frills place to stay, then I recommend this Hotel. I booked the room with a online travel service.

Nice hotel with nice service, in a good location.

by TripAdvisor Member BoinkPortland

Just two blocks west of Union Square (and Powell St. with its cross-city cable-car line), this was a little gem. It was clean and had a bit of old-world charm. Just 7 stories (I was on the 7th) and originally was the "Maryland Hotel" built in 1913 (when the stay was just $1 per night). Service at the desk was excellent. The room was small but well furnished (with flat-screen TV and antiques). I didn't use the restaurant in the hotel; one can easily walk to any number of eateries (from fast food to expensive places - all within a block or so).

I was attending a meeting at the Mosconi Convention center, and had a daily walk of about 20 minutes (maybe 15) each way (which was easy and nearly level).

The surrounding of the hotel were good. Lots of shopping at high-end stores, and a quick hop on a cable-car can put you at Fisherman's Wharf within 10 minutes.

Comments