Wharf Inn

The Wharf Inn
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Wharf Inn

Good Value

I've stayed in many different hotels/motels in SF and unless you want to shell out the big bucks, most of them are about the same. But I have to say that The Wharf Inn was an exceptional value. We were there for New Year's Eve. The room was spacious, had brand new furnishings, including new carpet. The bathroom was a little small, but could accomodate two people in front of the vanity easily. And the free parking is a definite bonus. Almost every lodging in SF charges an additional $20-$30 for parking. If you want luxury look to one of the truly luxurious hotels in the city, if you want good value in a touristy place, the Wharf Inn is a good bet.

Stayed here three times now!

by TripAdvisor Member cantstayhome

I've visited San Francisco many times and have stayed at the Wharf Inn for three of those times. You can't beat the location for access to fisherman's wharf, cable cars, shopping, boat tours, etc. The rooms are clean and comfortable. No A/C but San Francisco weather is never too hot for me. I've noticed several people complain about noise, but I can't remember it ever being a problem. All 3 times I had a room overlooking the street, and I loved to stand on the balcony and take in all the commotion down on the street. As far as noise, what I remember is a wood-wind quartet that you could hear playing on the corner at all times of day. Coupled with the smell of the ocean and wharf, it definately holds many fond memories of one of the most beautiful cities on earth. Parking is free, and getting to any main street is no problem from this location. I plan on staying here again next time.

Great hotel!

We stayed here from 11th - 14th Sept and enjoyed our stay. All the staff at the Wharf Inn are extremely helpful and Bill made us feel very welcome when we checked in. There is free parking, plus free coffee and newspapers in reception. The staff also printed directions for us from the internet and booked us on city tours - nothing was too much trouble.
The location of the hotel is great, yes it is noisy at night, but that is because of the location! You can't book into a hotel right next to the Wharf and then expect it to be silent at night. We didn't find the noise too much bother, we stayed in a room on the road front and slept well each night.
The room was newly furnished and decorated, very large and clean.
If I was going back to San Francisco I would definitely book in here again and would recommend it to others. If you think that street noise will bother you just ask for a room at the back - I'm sure that Bill and his staff would be more than willing to accommodate you.

The Perfect Location

by TripAdvisor Member Pappy101

We stayed at the Wharf Inn after several trips to San Francisco because of the location. You just can't beat it for the price and the free parking. You could stay at the Raddison which is right across the street, but expect to pay about $30-40 more then add $28 a day for parking, just not worth it.
Now for some details, the rooms are very spacious, compared to the other 3 hotels that we have stayed in, and are clean. Although they do not advertise it, you can get free wireless internet service with no problem at the hotel. The desk staff was very friendly and knowledgable with any info. you may need for sightseeing and locations.
The only problem that I could tell anyone about is that there is no air-conditioning in the rooms, while this may not sound like a problem due to the average temps in SFO being in the 50's and 60's, it is. There is only a very small window about 2x2 and it's located at the bottom of windows and behind the curtains. My solution was to buy a small powerfull fan for about $12 and put it in the window so we could get some outside (cool) air.
If you want to be right in the heart of everything that SFO has to offer, then you will not find a better bargain. Most all hotels in this area are at least +$230 a night. So my suggestion is to book this on early, get a little window fan and use the money you save to enjoy all the wonderful fruits that SFO has to offer.
If you need any more info on SFO or this hotel, I'd be glad to answer, just E-Mail me.

Ok...as long as you don't need to sleep!

We just got back from a stay at the Wharf Inn in Fishermans Wharf. We had requested a Queen/Queen non smoking room as one member of our family has a severe allergy to environmental tobacco smoke and were very pleased to find that they had reserved this for us ahead of time. They were also happy to give us our room at 12.30pm even though officially check-in was not until after 3pm, which meant we could park and do some sight seeing. Check-in staff were helpful and friendly and there was coffee and hot chocolate available in the lobby. Great when coming in from the chilly SF air.

First the good stuff. The location of the hotel is excellent (1 block from the Alcatraz ferry terminal and very close to Pier 39 + restaurants) and at $134 per night was good value for this area of San Francisco. They also throw in free parking which usually costs $25-$30 per night at other hotels in the area. The room was comfortable and clean with a huge closet and looked to have been recently remodelled. The bathroom, although quite small, also looked fairly new. We requested extra pillows and these were delivered almost immediately.

Now the not-so-good stuff. We knew ahead of time that this hotel didn't have air conditioning but didn't think that it would be a problem in San Francisco in September. We were wrong. Even with temperatures of 65F during the day and mid 50's at night the room felt hot and stuffy. The ceiling fan didn't cool much. During the afternoon we could compensate by leaving our door open when we were in the room but obviously we could not do this at night. We left the very small window open but this didn't improve the air flow or heat situation and it worsened the second problem...noise. This hotel is NOISY.

OK it's a location issue and not their fault but the traffic noise did not abate all night and it was LOUD. Then, starting at 5pm, in come all the delivery trucks into the area. Between the heat and all the noise no-one slept much at all...we were a very sorry, cranky lot in the morning. Luckily we were only passing through and were only there for one night.

Unless they install air-conditioners I would never stay in this hotel in the summer months. It is a fairly nice property for the area with friendly staff and excellent customer service but it isn't conducive to a restful stay. We might possibly stay here again for a short trip but only if we cannot get one of our usual deals through Priceline (usually we get the Sheraton for $65-85). Hope this helps!

Good value, good location, below average service

by TripAdvisor Member skpr77

This is a decent budget hotel with free parking. We reserved 2 non smoking rooms and I arrived early to attempt to guarantee myself that. When I arrived I was told all non smoking rooms were already taken. So I checked in and proceeded to the first room and it smelled like an ashtray. I went to the 2nd room and it was even worse. I went back down to the front desk and asked them if I could check a couple of the other rooms that were currently vacant. I did that and picked a smoking room that was alright. But unfortunately my original room was the better of the rest so I had to take it. These rooms had louvered windows on the bottom and the top, but without any screens. So after touring the Fisherman's Wharf area, and in the evening having multiple run-in's with the rodents while they scurry looking for food, I had to close the bottom windows because I didn't want to take any chances of one of them taking a midnight stroll into my room. I want to stress that the hotel property itself was fairly clean and that the rodents "do not" reside anywhere on the property. So the room was always stuffy and the air doesn't circulate like it should. We were told the hotel had hair dryers. When we arrived we couldn't locate them, so we called the front desk and they gave us one and just told us to return it when we checked out. But a couple of times, they called our room asking us if we were done with the hair dryer. The manager at the front desk was very friendly and helpful, and overall it is a decent place to stay. But the overwhelming smell of smoke in the room, really turned me off. I do recommend staying here.

Great Room - Great Price - Great Location!

Because of the great location and the great deal we got on the room, I was a little concerned at what we might actually encounter when we arrived. We were very pleasantly surprised. Everything looked new and clean. One block from Fisherman's Wharf; free parking; very friendly, knowlegeable staff; a clean, comfortable room -- what more can you ask for? We will definitely stay here again.

Hotel close to Pier 39

by TripAdvisor Member ishouldbediving

We stayed at the Wharff Inn for one night. The room was clean and comfortable. It had a small balcony overlooking the street and the bay. You could hear the noise from the street in your room but it quieted down in the evening and we had no trouble with the noise keeping us awake and I'm a light sleeper. Parking was free and underneath the hotel. This is a small hotel so the walk from your car to the room only took a minute. They also let you park there until 5pm the day you check out which is nice if you are hanging around town for a while. The location was the best feature of this hotel. It was 2 blocks from Pier 39 and the cable cars. The Rainforest Cafe was around the corner as were other places to eat. They provided fresh coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the lobby. The check in staff were very friendly and helpfull. I would stay here again for the location.

Avoid it....

Based on the glowing reviews here I booked a three night stay as part of an extended family vacation. As anyone who tries to stay in San Francisco knows, it is exceedingly difficult to find a hotel with free parking and queen beds (traveling with teens!). Upon arrival the look on everyone's face pretty much told me I had made a mistake. Let's start with good: Location is really steps from Pier 39, parking is free. Now the bad: This is hotel has no AC, which considering the temps in the bay area should be no problem. However, the rooms have only one teeny-tiny window (about 1ft square) to allow air into the room. The overhead fan doesn't do much to help pull fresh air in either. As a result the rooms are roasting hot, even when the high temp for the day is 69 degrees. And the location is extremely noisy. Our third floor room faced the Sheraton and we could hear every bus, every car, constant noise day and night. I'm used to having some noise in a hotel room.. but this was ridiculous. In short, we checked out after one night an moved to a hotel out of the city. Oh yes, the elevator broke that night also. The management was very understanding and helpful... but there really isn't much they can do to make up for this hotels shortcomings. If you really must stay in the city, try finding a deal at a higher class hotel through hotwire and then pay for the parking.

Good Value !!!!

by TripAdvisor Member tojoe72

Hey, its not the Ritz or the 4-Season's, but for $122.00 a night with free parking you just cannot go wrong. Our room was newly renovated and spanking neat and clean. It is just blocks from the Wharf and Giardelli Square. Free coffee and a newspaper are also provided. It is family run and everyone is helpful with directions and recomendations. As for the no A/C well I guess that could be a problem, but so far now I have stayed here twice and with the temps topping out at only 65, the temps were no problem. I myself cannot stand stuffiness but I found it comfortable. As for the noise the key is to get a room in the rear of the motel off the street, this has worked twice and we have had no problem with excessive noise.
Again, it is not luxory, but good, clean rooms for a good value

Really enjoying her time hereReally enjoying her time here

DeYoung Latte & MousseDeYoung Latte & Mousse

Hot chocolate and Bellini (November 2010)Hot chocolate and Bellini (November 2010)

In the Days of RomeIn the Days of Rome

Wharf Inn or Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf

by monicamn

Does anyone have a recommendation as to which hotel they would prefer? The Holiday Inn has parking of $35 per night but we have a free night at the Holiday Inn. The Wharf Inn has free parking but we wouldn't have a free night. We are looking at staying in San Francisco two nights. We are also looking at renting a car right away since it is cheaper to rent one for two weeks then to rent one for a week and four days. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Wharf Inn or Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf

by travelgourmet

If the Wharf Inn is the same price range as the Holiday Inn, $195 per night, then it's a no-brainer. Holiday Inn will save you, with the one free night, over $126 for the two nights and that includes the parking fee. The $126 will buy you an excellent dinner for two.

Re: Wharf Inn or Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf

by haysnoe

Sheesh, that sounds expensive. I stayed directly across the street from the Holiday Inn for about $80 a night last October. Forget the name but I think it was a Best Western or some other chain brand hotel.

Frankly, you should be able to park your car on the street no more than within a half-mile of the hotel. Just drop your stuff and drive around in the neighborhood just north and northwest of the hotel and you'll find space. It's a safe area, just take the jewelry off the front seat.

Comments