San Gabriel Mission
San Gabriel Mission, named for the Arcangel Gabriel, was founded on September 8, 1771 by Fathers Pedro Cambon and Angel Somera. It was the fourth in a chain of 21. The original plan was to place it on the Santa Ana River, but when the founders arrived, they went further inland to found the mission near the San Gabriel River.
Legend claims that the native chiefs tried to prevent the fathers from building. The fathers, afraid of a bloody battle, showed the chiefs a painting of Our Lady of Sorrows and the chiefs immediately threw down their bows and arrows.