Best Western San Jose Airport Plaza

soakedsoaked

Rainy day at San Pedro SquareRainy day at San Pedro Square

Winchester House

by lryder71

My daughter and I are looking at going to the Winchester House. Is there a better time during the day (Friday) to go? Is getting the whole tour recommened (Mansion & Behind-the-Scenes Tours)? How long does the full tour last?
Thanks

by Callavetta

Are you taking this tour because it's something you've always wanted to do? Or because it sounds like fun? Personally, I think it is not worth the money and isn't that interesting. We took the regular tour and I think it was about an hour. You can walk around the gardens and outside property on your own.

If you're looking for some interesting things to DO in San Jose, the Tech Museum and the Rosecruician Museum are both much better values and far more interesting. The first has loads of hands on activities, the second is one of the best Egyptian Museums in the world.

Enjoy your visit!

by rke21

I took the general tour. I thought it gave some good insights about Winchester and the house.

RE: RE: Winchester House

by EllenH

I saw a TV special about and it and wanted to go, when I saw how much it would cost for the 4 of us to go I figured I already saw it on TV and didn't go, just looked from the outside. I agree the tech museum was great.

by slilam

I agree with Callavetta's reply. I took my parents there and found the tour desperately overcharged.

Have you looked into Children's Discovery Museum? It's very close to the Tech Museum and targets young children (3 to 14). Both are accessible via Light Rail.

I would also recommend the Kelly Park for outdoor activities. It has History San Jose (with some vintage houses/banks/railroad) and a zoo where children can play with animals.

RE: RE: Winchester House

by alfredop

It is just a tourist trap for me... we took the brief tour and got disappointed, expected more, you'll only see the house and listen to the legends, you better walk around the house by yourself and it looks better from the ouside, buy the tour book and you'll get a better idea of the house's history. Besides, you'll save an hour of your day and about 40 bucks for 2 people.

Good Luck.

Travel Tips for San Jose

San Jose Taiko

by squidly2

This is an AWESOME performing group. They do drum concerts around the area, and even the country. Their energy is so energetic, and it resounds with everyone. I was lucky to only have to drive 90 minutes to hear them. Catch a performance if you can!

Free your inner rock star

by canela420

World Karaoke Boxes & Cafe
Private karaoke rooms that can accomodate 2 - 20 people. Sign up for the membership and get 20% off. Open late til 4am (sometimes) so call and confirm hours of operation.

San Jose is in a very central...

by jagr

San Jose is in a very central location. It is located about 1-1.5 hours from San Francisco and 30-40 minutes from Santa Cruz. Other Bay Area cities are also close by, so you can make various day trips to various parts of the Bay Area. I find hotels slightly cheaper in San Jose than San Francisco.

Santa Clara Valley Transportation Agency

by ATXtraveler

While I was staying at the Westin Santa Clara, I was able to take the light rail down to San Jose for the Sharks game and dinner. It was definitely an easy way to avoid rush hour traffic in the Bay Area.

The schedules are constantly changing, so make sure that you go onto their website and download the latest before your trip!

Good Beer, good food, very rude owner!

by Donnerfuss about Teske's Germania Restaurant-Bar & Beer Garden

I am German myself and though it is a well known fact that Germans don't know much about customer service, this place has really topped every experience I ever encountered. A few friends of mine have been going to Teske's for almost a year every Friday, spending a good $100 on food and drinks, but had to stop going, after being accused of not paying our bills, though we have been going back in order to straighten out every misunderstanding and explaining that we did pay all our bills. Then one evening the owner got involved who had no idea what had been happening so far and basically threw us out, on the grounds of lying. At that point we had been overpaying our tap - we had receipts to prove it. They simply couldn't keep track of their customers tap and on top lost good customers. Though the food and beer is great, I have to give it an unsatisfactory rating as I have never experienced such rude behaviour from any management. I told friends to stop going!

Comments