Doubletree Hotel San Jose

DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose
Priceline.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 91% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

OK for the airport but no more

The Doubletree is mainly a convention or short stay for the airport hotel. It boast the biggest rooms in San Jose and it's true mine was gianormous.
    Warning: it's right next to the 101 highway so when you book make sure that you specify that you want a room that is not overlooking the highway or be prepared for a noisy night!
    I was surprised at the old fashion TV (ie not flat screen) and the lack of a minibar.
    Beer price in the bar is v high $8-9.
    Sushi bar, average price
    Steak restaurant. V good but quite pricey: 1 steak + one glass of wine & side dish = $72, ouch!

Unique Quality: outdoor pool and jacuzzi. Gym.

More about Doubletree Hotel San Jose

Get the Executive Level and avoid Spencer's

We stayed at the Doubletree last Friday (December 15) and expected it to be busy, especially since many groups book parties at this time of year. Still, we were pleased with the lack of
crowds. We were even able to bypass the $15 valet parking charge when a free space opened up (yes, these charges do add up). To use the hotel's internet will set you back an initial fee plus 99 cents a minute--usurious. At 2:35 we tried to book into our Executive level room, which had been "pre-assigned" us. We were instructed to return aat 3:00. OK but hardly welcoming. Although the Burlingame Doubletree offers coupons for hotel guests at their Chutney Kitchen, the San Jose property does not. More on the restaurant later.

Since no one offered to take our bags (because we parked our own car on the premises without any help?), we saved on the tips but had to trudge a ways to the elevator. With the executive level room comes a specially activated card to access the upper floors. We noticed a couple of individuals trying to wait for us to get them to the top floor. For security reasons, we waited until they got off and then proceeded to the 9th floor. Nice room but with no microwave or mini-fridge--I guess only the Embassy Suites offer these? In an hour, two bottles of complimentary mineral water were brought to our room. Very comfortable pillow-top bed with six pillows. No protective rail guard in bath tub area, an annoying oversight in Hilton establishments. Room was quiet and large.

At 5:30 we went up to the 10th floor for the complimentary happy hour--hors-d'oeuvres and drinks. Very pleasant server--Sandra--mixed cocktails and brought a little class to the lounge. We noticed a number of people bringing back heaping plates of tacos, possibly saving themselves the expense of dining at Spencer's. Since we were meeting friends at Spencer's, we had to limit our drinks and snacks and went down to the restaurant. This is a steak and chop house and boasts a large wine list. The atmospere is clublike but the noise level can be almost defeaning, especially when in contact with groups already well irrigated. But the prices! Everything is à la carte, even the dressing on the salads and sauces on the steaks. These can range from $1.95 to $4.95. And these are unseen extras. The $31 8 oz filet mignon becomes $60+ after figuring in any veggies and sharing a bottle of $42 merlot ($10.50 a person), coffee, tax and tip.

The complimentary breakfast served in the lounge was nice with fresh fruit (melon, pineapple, strawberries, oranges). Nothing hot. We paid $108 (plus $11 tax) for the room, which had to be pre-paid--non-refundable. This is a good rate for use of the lounge and a large room. The hotel obviously makes up for the lower costs with its restaurant. I would personally recommend room service or going elsewhere for dinner. But the festive ambiance in the lobby helps to make the Doubletree a pleasant retreat.

Useless so far...

by TripAdvisor Member intelli

ok I havent stayed there but the system requires me to enter how i booked so Amex would have done . had I stayed. The guest (see below) booked thru Amex anyway.
Tried last week to contact the Hotel by phone at around 1.30 pm local time. I wanted to order something from the gift shop for a guest who was attending a conference there.
1st attempt. A computerized menu answers, I press 2 for the operator. Asked whether the guest had checked in, the reply was incomprehensible (to me anyway) but the operator was tryign to connect me to the guest I reckon... line failed.
2nd attempt, press 2 again.. wait and wait.. nothing happens., I hang up.
3rd attempt.. pressed 2 again.. wait and wait.. call being redirected to a voicemail system which tells me the person I want tor each is n/a, press 2 for the operator... clever!
4th attempt some time later (I though the operator may be having lunch).. wait and wait, operator finally answers. Asked whether the guest had checked in. No details of the name she says... connecting with the front desk. I repeated same question .. front desk doesnt say anythyng but connects me straight to the room. I didnt particularly want to talk to the guest (was asleep), all I wanted was to suprise her with a gift on arrival. How much is this Hotel, $ 145.00 x night?

Great Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member LizzyBC

My husband and I stayed at the Double Tree in San Jose while I was there on business. From check-in to check-out 5 days later, everything was just lovely.

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, the valets were extremely polite and very fast always asking if we needed directions anywhere. Our room was very spacious and the two sinks in the bathroom area were an added convenience. The beds are very comfortable and we never had a problem falling asleep. Everything seemed very clean and well kept.

We needed a refrigerator for my husbands insulin and one was delivered within about 10 minutes of our request. We also had a telephone that didn't work and their serviceman came very promptly to resolve the problem.

About the only complaint I have is that the jacuzzi could have been a little warmer.

I can't say enough about the San Jose Double Tree. We'd definitely stay there again.

Excellent!

by TripAdvisor Member pyrobluestar

I came here for the National Youth Leadership State Conference. At first impression, this was a great five star hotel with large spacious rooms! There were only a few drawbacks. First of all, the prices in the gift shop were off the hook! I understand that things in gift shops were a little pricier, but this was crazy! Two: Late in the first night, some loud voice came up saying that the alarm system was back to normal. This happened two times. It scared us all a bit. And lastly, if you put the plug on the bathtub up (in order to stop the water from flowing down the drain), it was almost impossible to get back up. It was late night, and we were not allowed to leave the room. My roommate had to go through a lot of trouble to get the water out. Overall, this was a great hotel with the exception of a few quirks.

Quiet, comfortable room, but they nickel and dime you.

by TripAdvisor Member groovyvegan

Liked:
1. Large, quiet room.

2. Comfortable bed with pillowtop mattress and many pillows.

3. Having a sink outside the bathroom as well as one inside.

4. AAA discount.

5. My partner enjoyed the free hot chocolate chip cookie they give you at the front desk.

6. Helpful, friendly front desk staff.

Disliked:
1. Bathroom was not particularly clean. Looked like there was mud splashed outside the tub, as well as some hairs in the bathroom.

2. Shower was confusing to use, confounded by the knob falling off into the tub.

3. No refrigerator or microwave in room.

4. Noisy, hectic lobby/bar scene on Saturday night complete with shieking women at the bar. Some of the men in the lobby were dressed like they were in gangs.

5. We self-parked for $10 a night; had difficulty finding a parking space and had to park far from the entrance.

6. Computer in lobby to check email was a complete ripoff: I believe the cost was $2.99 initially + $.99 a minute.

7. No breakfast included, instead there was an expensive room service menu.

Nice overall hotel

by TripAdvisor Member tamio

The hotel is very nice overall. Not the newest of rooms, but I slept
comfortably there. It is very close to SJC airport. There is a daily charge for parking and one must use your room key to get in and out. There is no breakfast provided, but there are several restaurants inside. This used to be the Red Lion Hotel years ago.

Service sucks

by TripAdvisor Member RegularGal

My experience at the Double Tree was quite bad. Initially when I tried to book for 3 nights, I was told that the hotel was only available for 1 night. When I checked in, I tried to extend the stay again. The receptionist was polite and helpful however when she checked with the manager, he was pretty unhelpful and since I was only a Blue member of the Hhonors program (the most basic level) he did not permit her to extend my stay. I went up to my room and was able to extend my stay online with no trouble. Even then, the manager was quite ungracious about allowing me to keep the same room (and wanted me to switch to a smoking room). I understand wanting to treat the Gold/Platinum (whatever) members differently but I think they take it too far to the extent of making ordinary guests feel unwelcome.

When I ordered room service, I did not find the service great - in fact they were quite rude when I pointed out an error. I only stayed there because we had a negotiated corporate rate. Avoid it if you can!

Nice rooms, good service, expxansive food

by TripAdvisor Member marcstrauch

The Double Tree hotel in San Jose had typical spacious rooms for a US hotel, they have two restaurants: One Sushi bar and a very good, but expansive steak restaurant.

Nice room but super noisy!

by TripAdvisor Member Kellysan

We stayed one night at the doubletree in san jose, california. The room was spacious and clean. However, it was facing a very noisy freeway that didn't quiet down until the wee hours of the night. Also, we could hear the heavy doors slamming from other guests as they opened and closed their room doors. If I had stayed there longer, I would of requested a more quiet room. Yet, I was only there for one sleepless night in San Jose, California.

Comments