Hotel Montgomery

Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown
FourPoints.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo

Recently remodeled

Very contemporary and stylish. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful.

Unique Quality: The 1911 landmark Hotel Montgomery reopened in 2004 after it was moved down the block a bit to make way for urban redevelopment. A lot of care and attention was put into making the hotel a success.

Paragon Restaurant & Bar downstairs has a good menu and a nice atmosphere. There are good coctails, live jazz and an outdoor bocce ball court.

More about Hotel Montgomery

Loved the Hotel Montgomery

by TripAdvisor Member ladybug96

We just returned from a quick weekend in San Jose California to see a Cirque du Soleil traveling show. We wanted to stay at a boutique hotel and chose the Hotel Montgomery in the downtown district, near museums, theaters and San Jose State University. It was absolutely lovely. LOVED IT! It is an older hotel that was recently renovated. Very affordable. It has a definite retro look, classy.The front desk staff were efficient and called us after we were in our room to see if everything was in order. There were fluffy white robes in the closet and chocolates on the turned down bed.They have a nice bar/restaurant, The Paragon, that had a jazz trio playing in the evening. The only bummer was the kitchen closed at 11pm and we were unable to order food after the Cirque show. There are several good restaurants within walking distance, but not much shopping. We would definitely stay here again.

Just excellent.

Hotel Montgomery is excellent -- a four star boutique hotel.
I imagine people read through several reviews here when making a decision, so I'm thinking it would be helpful to speak to a few points already mentioned.
Location is great. A couple blocks walk to convention center. A couple blocks walk the other way to things-to-do.
The staff is youthful, but they're not at all kids. They are polished, professional, personable and accomodating.
The hotel and the room and the restaurant are all slick, which is precisely what I was looking for in a boutique hotel. Kool decor. Nice CD/radio. Nice desk. High speed connectivity. Thoughtful selections at minibar, Aveda in the bathroom, etc. (Can't believe I'm gonna have to start buying $25 shampoo from now on. That stuff rocks.)
It's a good bed and a good sleep! Yes, I got in and thought, 'hey that's guy's right,' (from another review) I gotta untuck these sheets! Which I did. Then I enjoyed the excellent bed.
Greg Mauldin himself took a personal interest in representing his hotel and ensuring my stay was enjoyable. That or he just has his act so together as to make me feel as though it was a personal interest. Either way, he's great at what he does and his hotel reflects this from beginning to end.

Nice amenities and comfy furnishings

by TripAdvisor Member ciardelli

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Montgomery in downtown San Jose on September 19th for one night. We arrived very late (around 12:30 a.m.) and were anxious to get to our room. The hotel clerk was nice enough to upgrade our standard King room to one of their suites for no charge. The room we got didn't seem any bigger though (if it was a suite) but it did have a couch and a chair in it, but was still pretty small in size. I really like the Aveda products and luxurious towels and sheets that they had in the room. The bed was also very comfy but the heavy comforter in the duvet was quite hot and basically got pushed off onto the floor when we were trying to sleep.

The hotel lobby and decor is quite modern and funky but was very nice versus the generic look of chain hotels. I used the fitness room in the morning and found it had newer equipment and individual TV's so you could workout with headphones and watch TV at the same time. There was water and towels in the room for me to help myself to when I was ready.

I loved dowtown San Jose, it was so clean and had a lot of interesting shops close by to the hotel. But by the time we arrived, there were no restaurants open around 1 a.m. to get a quick bite to eat after our long flight so we had to go to bed hungery.

The one negative thing I found about the hotel and our room was it had this strange smell to it - like an overpowering cleaning solution or something. That bothered me all night even with the windows open to get fresh air in there, it was still prevalent in the room. I don't know what they were using for cleaning supplies but they should do away with it immediately as I see other people have mentioned that in their reviews for this same hotel.

A Fancy Motel 6

I'm not sure where you all stayed, but it couldn't have been at the same Hotel Montgomery in downtown San Jose that I was just at.

The room was clean and well-decorated (and 85 degrees when I arrived). But there were a few problems:

* The cool Brookstone CD/Radio/Clock is attached to the wall beside the headboard. The clock is not lit. To see what time it is at night you have to get up, turn on a light, and then look at the clock.

* This hotel was rated 4/5 stars at Expedia/Hotwire, but has no concierge and no baggage handling. Parking is outdoors about a block away with no covered access to the hotel. Really nice when it's raining.

* The front desk was happy to find me a sushi restaurant on a Sunday night and printed me a map and told me how to get there. But they didn't call ahead to verify it was open on Sunday so my half-mile walk was wasted. Interestingly there was another sushi place about a block away on First Street but they didn't send me there. The staff is a bunch of kids who don't know where anything is.

* On my way out I asked about a Denny's on the way to the airport and was sent in the opposite direction. Turns out there is a Denny's on the way to the airport; I just had to find it myself.

* They "short sheet" the beds. The blanket only comes about 3/4 of the way up the bed. Before retiring for the night you have to untuck all the sheets and blankets in order to get something that actually covers you up.

* The beds have giant, thick comforters that would roast an eskimo. No big deal, just a waste of time and effort and you have to find a place to put it every night.

* No hotel info in the room. I guess they have room service but I didn't know about it because they don't tell you about it.

* I put my parking ticket on my dash as instructed but still the kid chased me down every time I entered. Last time I stayed at a REAL 4/5-star hotel (the Fairmont) in San Jose, the valet parking attendant called me by name during my entire stay. Again, these guys have a bunch of kids working for them that don't understand the idea of customer service.

* I locked my keycard in my room and went to the desk for a replacement. The desk clerk, who I had never seen before, gave me a replacement without asking for ID.

This is a fancy hotel wannabe. They have nice facilities but they don't pull it together with good service. It's as if they own a hotel but they've never stayed in one to understand what people want. I won't be staying there again.

Trendy

I was very impressed with this hotel. The check-in was friendly and quick. Once we got to our room we received a call from the front desk to make sure everything was okay with the room. The room was small but very clean and had everything that we needed. Plan to pay $15 for parking.

Loved it!

Very nice hotel, friendly staff, great rooms, comfy bed, nice bathroom & the Paragon restaurant is excellent! The only thing that was a little annoying was some noise from the patio area at night & music that they play during the day. Overall, it was a great experience and would definitely stay again.

Great hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member huinuidog

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and really enjoyed this hotel. It's got a historical feel to it but yet looks new inside. The room was a bit small but the furnishings and bathroom were very nice, comfy bed, mini-bar, robes provided...for $85/night on Hotwire we felt we got a really good deal. The parking at $15/day was a bit steep though. Staff were polite and checked us in/out quickly. My husband left his cell phone charger in the room and we called and they said they'd mail it to us (charge us to our credit card, which is fine) so hopefully we'll be getting that in mail soon. Location is very central in downtown and close to restaurants, movie theater and starbucks. Had a drink in the restaurant bar which was very nice, the food looked good but we ate dinner at Il Fornaio across the street.

Wow!

by TripAdvisor Member Anabasis

I usually stay at the Fairmont in San Jose. No more. The Montgomery is now my favorite hotel in San Jose.

This reasonably priced, upscale hotel is in an elegant rehabbed 4 story building in the heart of downtown San Jose. The rooms are large and well furnished. My spacious bathroom had a tub and a stand alone shower. It was stocked with Aveda toiletries.

There is a well stocked mini-bar. The bed and pillows were very comfortable.

Highspeed Internet access is at no charge

The Paragon restaurant has great food and our server was very helpful. The entire staff at the hotel was friendly.

On the First Street side, you can hear the ringing of the streetcar bell right outside your window. Romantic or annoying, depending on your mood (and the time of day), I suppose.

This is truly the best place to stay in San Jose.

Very Pleased!

This was the best hotel I've ever stayed at. It was a girl's night out so the location was perfect for just that! We stayed in their suite and everything about it was just unbelieveable! Pillows and blankets were very cozy... staff was very helpful and accommodating. I would definitely stay here again (even though I live in San Jose)! Highly recommended.

Comments