170 South Market Street, San Jose, California, 95113, United States

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• pharsadi's Profile Photo

San Jose's Best

I think this is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Staffs were very friendly and were very helpful. There were Spa & Health club and pool in the hotel. They looked very nice and clean, even though we did not use those facilities. The hotel had a small gift shop. Even though it was small, it had some basic stuff one might need.

The bathroom was also great. It had a bath tub, a stand in shower, and a separate little room when you want to go to the throne. There was also a robe in the bathroom that you can use.

The room was very clean and big. There was a mini bar fridge in the room. Be careful not to move the little bottle of drinks in the fridge as it might get charged. And the bed & pillows... oh man.. there were to die for. They were dawn comforters & pillows. Once you get in, you won't want to get up...

CONS:
    - no microwave in the room (just fyi, not that one would use it extensively)
    - need to pay for in room internet

Unique Quality: Dawn pillows, comforter & bed

Directions: Downtown San Jose

More about The Fairmont San Jose

Thank God they made me change my mind

As a Business traveller I was originally booked to stay at a near by 4Diamond Hotel. Last minute I was told by local friends to change to the Fairmont and I DID. THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVISE. I arrived late at night and what a bliss it was to see the Fairmont. Huge lobby, very plush, comfortable rooms with huge bathrooms and the service top notch. Will definitely get back soon.

I wanted to move in!!

I thought this hotel was absolutely beautiful. Apparently, I stayed in the newer section. Everything was spotless--the room, the hallways, the common areas. The decor was tasteful. I found the desk staff friendly and helpful. The cleaning staff was very efficient and polite. I'm not sure if the previous guests in my room took things home with them--there was no hair dryer, but after calling guest services one was immediately brought up to my room and over the next few days, new things kept appearing after housekeeping had visited: a corkscrew, a bathmat, etc. I too was surprised that there was no in-room coffee...I've started to expect this to be standard.

My room was huge (900 sq ft is probably a good guess). The bathroom, dressing area, and closet were spacious. The water pressure was incredible. The bed was extremely comfortable. One night I returned to my floor to find a huge party taking place in one of the suites nearby--people were spilling into the hallway and the noise was tremendous. I was exhausted and was worried this would keep me awake, but the moment I closed my door I could no longer hear the noise despite the fact that we shared a wall.

I thought this was a wonderful hotel in a wonderful area. Unfortunately, I did not have time to visit any of the museums...but I would have loved to do so. I've heard great things about the Tech museum. The art museum is small--but free. There are many festivals in the park across the street. The area has a lot of charm--but you need to be careful where you walk, especially after dark. A wide variety of restaurants are available--in terms of cuisine and price.

I plan to return and hope to take my family. All of my colleagues have raved about this hotel as well.

Romantic Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member BabsSC

Just returned from a stay at the Fairmont. Can't say enough about this hotel. Great location for one - across from the Tech Museum and Art Museum. We sat in our room and watched the planes land at the airport. For some people this is not very exciting, but my husband is a pilot....say no more! It's all the little touches that make a stay at this hotel worth it. We had a King suite in the south tower, which I believe is newer. Great bathroom amenities. Walked to dinner at Gordon Biersch. We only live about 30 miles so it's a great destination for a weekend getaway. Will come back again.

Just Ok...

by TripAdvisor Member AmoItalia

I only stayed one night at this hotel, and though it was far from bad, it never felt special either (especially for a 5 star property). Check in was smooth, but when I inquired on a specific room type, I was told "sorry" before the front desk person even took the time to check (and the hotel was empty!).
I found out hours after I checked in that my husband had emailed the hotel and requested that a bottle of champagne be waiting for my birthday in the room upon my arrival, but I never got it or anything to acknowledge a celebration. Not a big deal, but not 5 star.
The south tower suite we had was nice, but just that... nice. Nothing special. The bathroom was big, but the bathtub was small.
Room service was fine, and the delivery people were all very nice, but the food was just average.
The gym was a bit of a disappointment too. It had some old cardio machines and weights, but again, it just wasn't anything special.
I'd stay here again if it were about half the price we paid per night. Otherwise, there are better options.

Great hotel!

My husband and I stayed here for one night this past week. It was a great hotel. The room was immaculate, beautifully decorated and spacious. Service was excellent as well. The young men working at the reception desk were friendly and efficient. The hotel's fitness center contained a nice selection of weights and cardio equipment, although it was a bit dark in there. Overall, I say the hotel was a great value. We were given a AAA rate of $169.

Upset Out of Town Bride

by TripAdvisor Member SoCali

I booked adjoining suites 2 months in advance for me and my bridesmaids. The process took over an hour since I insisted that the adjoining rooms were BOTH suites and I wanted to stay in the better tower and had to decide between the two. The day before my wedding, I checked in the hotel only to wait for over an hour without so much as an apology, clutching my wedding dress to my body with 4 very very grumpy bridesmaids (all from out of town). Get this, they didn't have my rooms. What made it worse was that I specifically booked it 2 months in advance. They somehow had a mix up and had no more adjoining suites left. So they tried to pass off two regular rooms as suites. Keep in mind that I personally saw the rooms that I booked the day I booked so I would know exactly how much room I had in each room. By the time I saw the rooms, I was too exhausted to complain since my bridesmaids and I were tired from standing in the lobby for over an hour and the entire days events. After the wedding, I wrote an email to complain and I still to this day have not received a reply.

Absolutely the best in Downtown San Jose.

I've stayed here several years in a row for an annual event. This year was no different than any other.
I've had the opportunity to stay in a variety of the rooms available. From the Presidential Suite to a Suite in the South Tower to a standard room and I've never had a better experience at any hotel around the globe. Service from check in to check out, valet, valet parking and room service are always tops with this Hotel. I highly recommend this hotel if you're in the San Jose area. It is second to none.
I'm pleased to rate this Hotel 5 Stars !

Not a five star anymore maybe a 2 or 3

I have stayed here several times before. I am even a member of their Fairmont President's Club so I was surprised when after booking a suite two months in advance when I arrived here it was not available. Since there is a three hour time difference between coasts I was very tired but went to lunch and came back three months later. When we were shown our suite it had a peculiar smell to it, I am an asthmatic and very sensitive to orders. I later realized that it had a strong disinfectant smell that was trying to block out the cigarette smell. This was supposedly a non-smoking floor. When we asked for another suite we were given a suite in an the "new" tower, these suites look like they are located in another city as well as being a small walk form the main hotel. We also had to wait for this room to be prepared. There is no security in the other tower, there is no reception desk and after hours you walk through an area filled with some of San Jose's homeless. We did write a letter to the manager, who said he was sorry about this and that was that. He also said the long waits were due to lack of staffing!! Is that my problem? A small token such as a price break or a bottle of wine in the room may have gone further. We will not be staying here again.

Comments