Wyndham Hotel San Jose

Costs 44% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Wyndham Hotel San Jose

A decent hotel...

by TripAdvisor Member rossbo1

Stayed one night on May 3 during a business trip and at $149, it was probably priced fairly. Very comfy sheets and pillows, though the mattress was way too soft. The bathroom had the sink in the main room and you could tell that this is an older property but it's been updated and is fairly attractive. A good location near the airport and downtown - it probably merits a return visit while on business, though I would not consider it as a vacation stop.

Some Real Problems at This Property

My stay was for four days, so I have a pretty good read on this property. Some things visitors should know. First, this is not a typical Wyndham property. My other Wyndham stays have been very nice, which is why I selected this hotel. The problems started right away. The rooms have noisy wall-mounted air conditioning systems... the type of system you might expect at a Hotel 6. I asked to move to a room with central air, but the front desk indicated that the property does not have that room type. When speaking with the maintenance guy, though, he indicated the front desk is mistaken. In the end, I moved to the 9th floor, which has central air.

The restaurant has great food. While the manager is a wonderful guy and very helpful, the staff act like they would rather be somewhere else. I finally gave up getting my check and asked to have it sent to my room. Forget about asking for anything mid-meal. Basically, the wait staff doesn't care.

I tried ordering room service and was told they were too busy to take my order. The restaurant was already closed, so this seems a little bizzare. Anyway, I am a club-level, loyal Wyndham guest refused service during normal room service hours.

None of the pre-programmed buttons on the phone work. You get an automatic message the day you check out. If you want to turn off the blinking light to get some sleep, you have to go through the front desk, who will connect you to the message system. You have to listen to the message and then delete it. If the front desk is busy (they are usually understaffed), then this can be a frustrating process.

If you stay here, be sure to stay on the club level. The food is great, but don't eat here if you want good service. The problems at this property can be summed in one word... service.

Decent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Treveler

We booked our stay on the Wyndham website. When we got there everything was ready for us. My husband is a member of Wyndham By Requesst. We were given a large room with a King Size Bed that was clean and neat. That night we found bottled water, diet soda and a large package of mixed nuts in our room. We were there three nights and did not have any problems. We had heard about problems in the parking lot, but we parked in front near the front entrance which was well lit and had no problem. We did not eat at their resturant (high prices). We went into downtown San Jose for a couple of meals. There was a fridge in our room and we purchased milk, juice and some fruit for breakfasts. We were visiting family and had some meals with them.
We would stay there again.

Nice for the price

by TripAdvisor Member keciaanne

We stayed here because of the close proximity to the HP Pavillion, where we attended a concert. The room was spacious and clean. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful in calling us a cab to get to the concert. The bed was comfortable and the room had all the necessary ammenities. The location was fine for us, but the surrounding area did not appear to offer much in the way of shopping or reataurants. We were pleased to have free parking and easy freeway access. Overall, a pleasant stay at a great price.

you can do better than this place

by TripAdvisor Member Illinois_traveler22

I got a room for one night here for $50 on priceline, and even at that price, I gotta say i would not stay here again. The hotel is run down [not at all like the other wyndhams i've stayed at], the shower didn't work, the faucet on the sink was broken, and the restroom off the lobby smelled like a train station. The rooms are dark and have those noisy room air blower heater things. It is seriously in need of an update. Surrounding area nothing to write home about, though the light rail will take you downtown to some nicer parts of town. if you want to be near the airport or near downtown, you can definitely do better.

Not as good as it looks

by TripAdvisor Member augieHI

Booked this hotel through Costco and got a decent price. The hotel from the outside looked ok, the lobby area looked decent , but the room we got was another story. The room was small and dated, the bathroom was extremely small. One night, a brown spider with a spread of about 2" fell on my husband's head while he was on the commode; the next night we found another spider in the bathtub. We reported this to the gentleman at the front desk and never heard from him regarding this. The night before we were to depart, the remote for the tv set wouldn't work; reported it to the front desk; after about 2 hours, called again, after which a maintenance person came and tried to figure out what was wrong. After about an hour, he offered to change our room but since we were leaving the next day, we declined and called it a night. The location was not too bad. A few minutes from the airport (I don't recall hearing airplanes either), 45 minutes to Monterey, and a few minutes to the Winchester Mystery House. All in all, I don't think we'd stay here again due to the unfriendliness and rudeness of the front desk personnel who don't want to be bothered.

Great for an Airport Stay

by TripAdvisor Member rosedrr

Our flight had been cancelled Due to the Denver Blizzards, and we were given a 6:29AM flight out of San Jose Airport. So we decided to stay at a hotel the night before and get a shuttle to the airport. We have stayed at Wyndham Hotels before and have always been happy with them. If you are a ByRequest member, it is worth it.

The lobby was very nice, the shuttle was on time and the driver was very courteous. The check-in process was very easy, we booked through the hotel's website taking advantage of the AAA discounted rate.

The bedroom was very nice, updated from what we can tell. The bed was very comfortable. There weren't very many TV channels but we were only there for one night, so not a big deal.

The only complaint we had is in regards to the in room internet. When you pull up the internet on a laptop, you come to a screen that states one day internet is 9.99 per day. If you pay closer attention, you will see a button at the bottom of the screen that says ByRequest member access. This will get you free internet, but this is not explained anywhere.

Great for overnight airport stays.

Great location for SJSU

by TripAdvisor Member AFoxyOT

I came to San Jose for a medical conference at SJSU and was looking for somewhere that was 1.) close by 2.) had parking and 3.) was close to downtown/the airport.

I was happy all around- my room was spotless and in a great location with a good view. Bed was comfy, it was relatively quiet the entire time I was there. The light rail station is right outside, but it was easier for me to just drive. There is a great downtown area not too far away with some fantastic fare (Melting Pot, PF Chang's, Johnny Rockets, etc). SJSU is only a few miles away, which suited my needs perfectly. The front desk staff were very helpful-- even hand writing me directions to get to a Barnes and Noble!

I would definitely go back.

Plus-- San Fan was only a 35-40 minute drive away. A perfect day trip after being in class :)

Mold in rooms--stay away

by TripAdvisor Member Foodwise

The bed was comfortable and the breakfast was really nicely done--they modified my order as requested without an upcharge.

Be warned, however, there was visable mold in three large areas above
the room window. I lost my appetite and could not even eat dinner there.

Also, the room door did not go all the way to the floor so you could hear people coming and going. Luckily, my neighbors were quiet, so the noise wasn't too awful.

I would not stay here again.

stay somewhere else

by TripAdvisor Member Bojingle

just a tired and not well managed place. the parking lot is full of debris from trees, the glass vestibule entering the lobby looks like the glass was cleaned with muddy water, air conditioner was noisy and either too cold/too hot, and buttons on the phone didn't work right. you can just tell that the owner or manager is not a detail person. Plus it was something like $150 a night. Booked this through expedia as a package so we couldn't change out after the first night. Trapped, but leaving today.

Comments