26891 Ortega Highway, San Juan Capistrano, California, 92675, United States

Satisfaction Poor

• Nice Place Unpleasant People

I stayed at Mission Inn last weekend. It's a charming conversion of a motel to a bed n' breakfast/in -- lovely gardens, each room different, nice touches (roses and chocolate in the room, cookies and sherry on check-in, simple but fresh breakfast buffet). If the management changed I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. When I checked in, the woman at the desk offered no real welcome, no info about how to get to my room, no smiling "we're glad to have you here". Ok...I checked that off to maybe someone having a bad day. Loved my room (#21) but when I noticed the woman's husband (I think they were the owners) in the garden, he didn't smile or say hello or anything...just walked right by. What really frosted me was their "I could care less" attitude on Sunday when I checked out. On Saturday night I slipped in the shower and broke my leg. There was no "front desk" open or person I could call for assistance. I found a hospital on my laptop, managed to drag myself to my car (fortunately it was the left leg so I could drive), went to the emergency room, got xrays, painkillers, crutches, a brace and was released with some reluctance and the instructions to get to a hospital as soon as I flew home the next day. When I was struggling to get my luggage to my car the next morning, the Inn's owner walked by without offering to help, asking what happened or anything. Another guest came to my assistance. When I checked out, I wanted to get a cup of coffee and a pastry to take with me and the woman at the desk did not offer any help (I was struggling around on crutches). I had to practically spill coffee all over the floor trying to carry it before she sighed and reluctantly asked if I'd like her to carry that to my car (after making sure the car was about 10 feet away by the door). All in all, a most unpleasant experience. I'd not recommend Mission Inn to anyone, sad to say, given the people running the place. A big part of a "bed n' breakfast" experience is being in a friendly, welcoming environment. I've had warmer welcomes at Motel 6.

• keida84's Profile Photo

A "Gem" next to the Jewel of the Missions

When I was planning this particular trip I knew we were going to take the train therefore leaving us without a car. This was not a problem as San Juan Capistrano is a highly "walkable" town. The Mission Inn is a 5 minute walk up Ortega Highway. We did this walk with our handbags and luggage without a problem. If the weather happens to be inclement then I would recommend a taxi to greet you at the train depot.

We arrived at the Inn at a quarter to 2 pm, the Inn keepers were at the market so we just waited on the covered porch for them to return. Our wait was brief at that. Our hosts, Harold and Sunshyne, greeted us in a warm and welcoming manner then checked us in promptly. All the rooms are named after the 21 California Missions. Our room was number 15, "The San Buenaventura" room which was appropo since that is the Mission in our town.

Harold was a wealth of knowledge about the restaurants in the area. He even made reservations for us for the first night we were there. We utilized his other recommendations throughout our stay.

Unique Quality: Kris commented on the "attention to detail" in the room. We had two very comfortable queen size beds, a refrigerator stocked with bottled water, soda pop, and a tray of pastry and candy which was all included in the price of the room. There were bathrobes in the room for our use. These were the "doe skin" type which is a very comfortable robe, Kris was in that robe whenever she had a chance! The Inn sells these robes with their logo for $99.00 which is a bit less than I have seen these type of robes go for in the stores, like Restoration Hardware.

Kris and I are early risers which means we need coffee! The Inn did not serve coffee until 8am, but that was not a problem as Diedrich's Coffee, which was a 2 minute walk was open at 6am.

Every morning from 8:30am to 10:30am an "extended" continental breakfast was served. We filled our plates with fresh berries, cantaloupe, hard boiled eggs, ham, cheese and yogurt. A wide assortment of breads and granola cereal was offered as well. Coffee, tea, water and organge juice were on hand as well. All of this was enjoyed on the patio over looking the pool.

In the afternoon there is a plate of delectable cookies, candies with a bottle of sherry for a decadent snack. We walked so much that we did not worry about calories......well maybe just a little.

One funny note: The remote for the TV in our room did not appear to be working. We mentioned it to Harold and he gave us a printed sheet with instructions on how to re-program the remote! LOL we figured this happened very often indeed!

Our train did not leave until several hours after check out, so Harold and Sunshyne kept our bags in the office while we continued gallivanting around the town.

I highly recommend The Mission Inn to everyone including travelers with their pets. The Mission Inn is a "pet friendly" Inn, we saw several guests out walking their dogs. All in all we truly enjoyed our stay at the Mission Inn and I am sure you will too!

Directions: The Mission Inn is located at 26891 Ortega Highway very close to the Mission San Juan Capistrano.

Comments