Best Western Somerset Inn

WATER FOUNTAIN WINE PATIOWATER FOUNTAIN WINE PATIO

THE GREEN LEAVES OF SUMMERTHE GREEN LEAVES OF SUMMER

Where to stay - SLO?

by snackster

I am planning on spending a night in SLO on the way from LA to SF. Can anyone recommend a reasonbale place to say which isn't too expensive. I know there is an econolodge there - Is it very downmarket?

thanks
Mark

RE: Where to stay - SLO?

by yvr

Most of the motels in the SLO area are of decent quality. The econolodge has been there for many years. For one night, if the price is right, I would certainly consider it.

yvr

RE: Where to stay - SLO?

by travelgourmet

If you are looking for quality and in the 130 usd range, you can't beat the Quality Inn in SLO at 1631 Monterey. Wine and beer reception in the afternoon and a fully cooked breakfast in the morning. Great rooms and location. On the more reasonable but still good is the Best Western Somerset Manor at 1895 Monterey at around 95 usd.

RE: RE: Where to stay - SLO?

by snackster

Thanks for your help. The Best Western looks fine. I found another called the Lamplighter Inn. Has anyone stayed there?

thanks

Travel Tips for San Luis Obispo

weather

by MStars

The weather here is odd. Think layers. It's really cold and foggy in the morning, then it can get really hot in the afternoon, and then really cold again in the evening. . .. During warm weather it can get pretty breezy at night. Maybe it's because we're surrounded by mountains.

MILDEW! $50 dolllar smoking fee!

by jackbash

first thing I noticed when opening the door to our room was an over powering smell of mildew. we burned incesne to make the room more livable. then we where charged $50 smoking fee, when my wife and I are both non smokers. I think it is funny that the maids "detected" a smoke smell. but are unable to detect the mildew smell that they should be cleaning. I will never stay here at the Madonna Inn again.

Charles Paddock Zoo

by tvdandy

Located in Atascadero, about 15 miles north of SLO, is the Charles Paddock Zoo. This is a very small, but good zoo. The cost is only 5 dollars admission. As small as the zoo is, it has a good variety of animal life and has a cool walking path which easy to follow. Good for about 3 hours of your time.

Mmm barbecue

by MStars about Firestones

first time i saw it i thought it was the tires, but this is a loud lively place with REALLY GOOD FOOD. Supposedly they have good salads, but i always order meat. the basket of fries, a whole lot of fries.

very reasonable prices. tri tip sandwich. . .. very tender, good bbq sauce

pork rib meal. . . if you're really hungry

abc burger. . .burger w/ swiss cheese, avocado, tomato

grilled chicken. . . again, love the bbq sauce

can't not have their seasoned fries

fancier sushi

by DoroTheExplorer about Yanagi Sushi

Walking in, your senses are already being appealed to. The restaurant is clean and aesthetically decorated in shades of red, black and brown. Staff is not overly friendly, but welcoming in that subdued "Please, do come in" kind of way.

The sushi tastes sooooo fresh. The sushi chef I had (Jonathon, I think his name was) was very honest when I asked for recommendations. He informed me which of the fish in stock was most fresh. And no, he did not tell me that the expensive stuff was the fresh stuff! Hee hee. He created dishes as I requested and we were not charged an exorbitant amount on the bill.

I'm not a huge fan of the house specialty rolls, though. They look very good--color, texture, shapes of all kinds. I, however, think that they all tasted the same. The extra stuff (sauce, wrappers) overpowered the fresh taste of the fish too much and all I could really taste was sauce-drenched rice.

From now on at Yanagi, I will stick to regular sushi and sashimi (and sake, of course). The quality of the fish and its preparation voids the need for fancy frills like asparagus and rice wrapper.

The crowd starts to come in around 8pm. Go a little earlier for excellent customer service. The tuna tataki was divine and typing this right now is making me salivate. So fresh and perfectly prepared. I don't think it was on the menu. If it was, I didn't notice. The chef made it for me after I talked about my tastes. I'm sure you can just ask them for it and they will happily prepare it for you. Or, tell them your personal tastes and have them craft something for you!

Comments