San Luis Obispo Hotels

Our Members Say

• Weaslebeee profile photo Weaslebeee
  • Reviews: 11

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Inn at Avila Beach: Personality, personality, personality!

My husband and I stayed here for one night as we were only passing through San Luis Obispo. We were traveling from San Diego along the 101 and found the hotel very easy to locate without a map or GPS. Upon arrival we were uncertain of where to park so we decided to utilize one of the many empty spaces directly across the street (which is located right above the beach).

The lobby was quaint and had a very hospitable feel to it. Check in was quick and easy. We were given two keys (literally keys, not key cards) and asked to follow the attendant. She gave us a tour of the property and personally showed us to our room.

We chose a court side room because the price couldn't be beat by any of the surrounding hotels I had looked at. Our room had a kitchenette including a sink w/ garbage disposal, gas oven, microwave, coffee pot, and dining room table. The couch sat at the end of our four poster bed and faced an armoire with a flat screen and VHS/DVD combo. The decor was a bit outdated and the building was certainly old but the linens were clean and that's what mattered most to us. It was a very comfortable room.

The hotel is located on the beach and at the end of the main street and was a minutes walk from the Custom House Restaurant, local bars, and market.

Check out was quick and painless.

Again, I cannot stress the wonderful hospitality at the Inn. We will definitely make our way back to this hotel!

What I loved most was the fact that there is a library full of books, board games, vinyl records, VHS, and DVDS that could be checked out for free. There was a sitting area in front of a fireplace and big screen television, two dining tables, and an area with free popcorn, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. There is also an onsite laundry facility and a rooftop deck that overlooked the ocean. The deck featured three separate cabana areas with day beds, hammocks, wet bars, refrigerators, TV's, DVD players, and two barbeque grills.

• Related to: Family Travel, Beaches
  • Written March 6, 2012

Inn at Avila Beach

• kariannenue profile photo kariannenue
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

San Luis Obispo Business Trip

I recently stayed at this hotel for business. I quickly learned that this was not a typical Courtyard. They seemed to have much nicer and larger rooms than any other Courtyard I have stayed in and the staff was on top of anything I asked. In between meetings I managed to sneak over to Pismo beach since it was so close and managed to get a sun burn! I’m a picky eater, so the breakfast buffet was ideal for me and I was seriously shocked with how diverse the menu at the hotel restaurant was. I travel to the area often for work and have usually stayed at the Holiday Inn Express out there, but I am definitely going to stay at the Courtyard since my experience was so pleasant.

Great staff. Right near Pismo Beach. Great dining opitons.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written September 16, 2008

• Ewingjr98 profile photo Ewingjr98
  • Reviews: 5700

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Downtown Travelodge

I had read a few terrible reviews of the downtown Travelodge, so I was a little worried when Priceline accepted my $70/night bid and got me a room here for the night. I knew the location was excellent, but not much else about the place. When entering the hotel parking lot, we we greeted with a large, fairly modern looking motel, well lit and with nice landscaping. The front desk was staffed with the friendliest guy who gave us all kind of advice about where to go and what to do in town.

The rooms are very, very small, with just a single full bed. The TV was older and maybe 15 or 20 inches, the heater an old gas unit (but very effective), and the phone was an old school 1980s model. Oh, and the hot water was limited in the shower... it was hot for maybe 10 or 15 minutes then went lukewarm.

Despite these minor inconveniences, the room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The bathroom was older, but clean... the only problem was the sing was plugged up and slow to drain. In room coffee and about 80 TV channels are about the only perks. The best feature is the close proximity to the mission and the nightlife/restaurant areas of town--really just 2-3 blocks away through a nice residential neighborhood. Fee Wi-Fi (password in Jan 2008: "music").

This 51-room, two-story motel was constructed in 1967.

• Written January 20, 2008
Tip Photo

• tvdandy profile photo tvdandy
  • Reviews: 319

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sunbeam Motel: Cheap and Close

I always stay here when I come to town. OK, OK, it's not the Hyatt, but if you're on the cheap, not bad, and the only affordable motel that is within walking distance of downtown. The rooms are clean enough, and buy the way, you're in CALIFORNIA, what in the heck would you be doing INDOORS judging your room anyway.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 24, 2007

Sunbeam Motel

• Viajara profile photo Viajara
  • Reviews: 36

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sands Suites & Motel: Very accomodating!

We stayed in a very comfortable suite. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Our room was very clean. The free continental breakfast was satisfying and there was a pleasant dining room. Only downside is that they are not within walking distance of downtown, but a short car ride away.

They allow pets! The hotel offers free videocassettes for guests to check out. There was a mini-mart at the front of the complex which was really handy for picking up a microwave popcorn or something for the sweet tooth! The swimming pool and spa were a little crowded on the weekends, but nearly vacant on weekdays.

• Opinion of Price: about average