215 South Gaffey Street, Los Angeles, California, 90731, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

More about Vagabond Inn San Pedro

Jewel in the rough

by TripAdvisor Member AwolAnnie

internet special rates made this a very affordable stay in an expensive area of the country, especially since i had pets with me. the staff was friendly and accommodating. the room was surprisingly clean, especially for an older facility. the hotel is convenient to area highways and very accessible to long beach.

Good value for the money

by TripAdvisor Member jrrichardson

I was pleasantly surprised. The room was average, but clean and very quiet. I called the hotel a couple of times to get info and they were very helpful. We booked the car storage package and were very surprised how easy it was to check in, leave the car, and pick up the shuttle the next morning.

I became ill while traveling and the front desk was very helpful with finding a pharmacy nearby (withing walking distance) and letting us check out late so I could get my prescription filled.

I wasn't too comfortable walking around at night (to the McDonalds 1/2 block away for dinner) but was just fine during the day.

Shuttle service to the pier was clean and effecient. Only drawback is that you have to take a cab back to the hotel when you return from the cruise and finding a cab for 4 adults and their luggage was a little hard, but only cost $8 plus tip.

Overall, I would stay here again and would recommend it to a friend.

Good Enough

by TripAdvisor Member Faeamy

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel on 7/6-7/7. We chose this hotel because it was the best rated of the few hotels close to an event we were attending at Ft. MacArthur. The room and bathroom were both clean, although, the carpet felt sticky, so I don't recommend walking around the rooms barefoot. The two problems I have with the hotel were 1. it smelled like urine and cigarette smoke, and 2. it seems to be convenient for prostitutes, and in a not-so-great area. It was fine for us because it was better than camping on the hard ground and when I woke up in the middle of the night with a migrane it was much better to be in a bed than in a tent. We will probably stay there again, unless something better opens up in the area.

Bring flipflops and earplugs

by TripAdvisor Member Gail1Marie

I needed a place for the night before a cruise on the S.S. Lane Victory at 7:30 a.m. the following morning.

Strangely, although the room was very clean, the furniture in good shape, and the bed comfortable, the carpet of Room 215 was FILTHY. It made the soles of my feet black within five minutes of my stepping out of the shower. (If you take the trouble to scrupulously clean the rest of the room, why not shampoo the carpet once in a while?)

Also, though the hotel appeared to be barely occupied, the desk clerk claimed it was full, and wouldn't give me a quieter room on the back side of the hotel.

In the rooms facing Gaffey Street, the traffic sounds are LOUD (cars with thumping speakers at all hours; big rigs downshifting for the stoplight half a block away; police sirens). I had to leave the air on all night to try to muffle the noise. Also, as mentioned in other reviews, the neighborhood looks a bit iffy, and I wouldn't walk around there after dark.

The 21 Sushi restaurant next door was good and reasonably priced; it was frequented by regular local customers, many of whom the owner greeted by name.

If the carpet were cleaner, this would be a good hotel for the price.

It served our purpose

by TripAdvisor Member HappyCamper35

We used this particular hotel because it has a Cruise and Stay plan. It was very easy to get to and had no problems at all. The room was adequate in size for three people. It was clean and comfortable. The staff was accommodating and helpful. There is plenty of eating establishments close by. The Vagabond even bussed us over to the point of departure. I would definitely stay there again.
We took a short drive down the street from the hotel and found an excellent Mexican restaurant for dinner on the evening we arrived. And on the same street we found a great café for breakfast the next morning. We even found a 99 cent store to look around in.

very close to the world cruise center

by TripAdvisor Member avidcruiser094

My wife and I went with my parents on a one day cruise on the norwegion pearl. We stayed at the vagabond inn in san pedro ca.The motel is less than a mile away from the world cruise center. We found the motel to be a very great deal. Well priced, less than a mile away comfortable and about 5 minutes from door to door.We will stay there again.We stayed there the day before and again the day after the cruise.

Be Aware...

by TripAdvisor Member sklIllinois

Good points - close to the cruise center and they did provide a shuttle there and back; price of room was cheap
Not so good points - Bare bones accomodations; fairly clean; the carpet was nasty. It advertises a restaurant on site. There is no restaurant called Jodis and the clerk at the desk said there never has been. Continental breakfast consisted of a 3' X 4' area with a box of donuts and coffee makers. No seating and when we went down at 9AM, there was no sign of anything except coffee. Also, we were traveling with an adult who had difficulty manuvering luggage and steps. Even to get to rooms on the first floor you had to go up several steps. Restaurants nearby are mostly fast food. We did go to the Holiday Inn next door and their restaurant was very good. Would I stay at the Vagabond Inn again? Probably not.

Noisy

by TripAdvisor Member nlmoose

We stayed here for one night. The price was good compared for what you get. Room could be cleaner. We did not get the TV functioning. Only really downside was the noise. We asked for a room on the backside of the motel, but we were told that those rooms were smoking rooms. Furthermore the guy behind the desk told us that there was a problem building behind the motel, which caused a lot of noise. So we got a room on the front side of the motel. Maybe try the backside of the motel if you stay there, because the noise from the traffic was very disturbing during the night. We did not sleap very well.

Fair for the price...

by TripAdvisor Member tandc2006

The motel is located on 2nd and Gaffey in San Pedro, CA. All of the hotels/motels in the area are super-costly in comparison to the Vagabond. The rooms are fairly nice for the price, however they have certain ammenities that I feel are lacking. They do not include a coffee maker (you have to go to the front office to get your coffee in the morning) and the fridges in the room do not work! Why would they place fridges in all of their units and then cut the power cords in the back? Is the extra electricity really killing them? Seems ridiculous to me... The best part of this motel is that they allow pets. It's a hard thing to find nowadays (at a reasonable price), especially in the San Pedro area...

Can't say enough good things about the Vagabond in San Pedro, CA

by TripAdvisor Member vaveesa

I would like to tell people about this hotel.....it is a very reasonably priced option and sometimes reasonably priced means you suffer in other aspects of the room. NOT SO HERE!! I live on Catalina Island and this is my go to choice for when I need to come over to the mainland for business, Doctor's appts. or leisure.
I have not only stayed here on this visit (Jan '08) but I have been coming here since 2004, when I moved to Catalina. I often stay either by myself or with my young daughter and I always feel safe and appreciated by the staff.
Kazi Ahmed is the General Manager and he has been incredibly accommodating every time I have stayed.
We were victim's of the fires on Catalina last May; I came over at the last minute & was able to get a room on short notice. One of Mr. Ahmed's desk clerks helped us get settled, finding us a refrigerator....we ended up having to stay for 5 nights, until we were able to come back to our home. Mr. Ahmed's hospitality went above and beyond, in our opinion.
The rooms are always clean, comfy and if I've ever needed anything, any of the staff does their best to help!
Our family definitely recommends the Vagabond Inn, San Pedro !

T.Montagna