Best Western Cavalier Oceanfront Resort

Value Score

Poor Value

Costs More than similar hotels

See Best VT Value Hotels

Do yourself a favor don't stay here!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 20, 2010

This is the hotel I chose to have my wedding reception. That was my biggest mistake. They ruined our reception! They gave us an outdated menu they couldn't prepare. They gave us added on charges two days before our wedding and wanted us to sign a contract agreeing to pay charges that were never mentioned to us. At that point if we would have canceled we would of lost our deposit and well our wedding was in two days. We rented both rooms until 10PM. When we returned from pictures at 7:45 we found the staff breaking down tables around our guests including our 97 year old grandmother. They had discarded my centerpieces and party favors onto a corner table. They should not have broken the room down until 10PM per our agreement. Many guest thought our reception was over. The restaurant manager was rude about it. I was so upset I left my reception early so I wouldn't cry in front of my guests. I was so shocked! When taking it up with the owner of the hotel he was absolutely rude to us. We never received an apology for their mistakes. I feel like they did the bait and switch on us. Having our reception at this hotel was the worst mistake of my life. We had planned to go every year to this hotel for our anniversary.... We no longer feel that way and it makes me sad. Don't stay here boycott this hotel! Shame on them!

Unique Quality: Worst treatment I have ever received at a hotel! Don't stay here!

A good Motel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 7, 2006

San Simeon is what you could say lacks a bit in lodging choices, but the Cavalier is one that you should consider staying at. When we made the reservations we were given the choice of an Ocean Front Room or Standard Room. The Ocean Front rooms are the closest to the beach and have windows that face the ocean straight on. However, the $140 difference did not quite fit into our budget so we opted for the standard room.

When we arrived in the evening it was right before sunset. They had just started some Bon Fires in 3 permanent Fire Pits/Chimneys above the beach adjacent to the Motel. This was a very nice and warm place to watch the sunset.

Once inside our room there were 2 queen beds as well as a Desk and Chairs. We also had all of the amenities, Hair Dryer, Iron, Coffee Maker, In Room Safe and a DVD Player. They also have an Honor Bar, which we did not get into.

The room was Clean and very well maintained. Even though we did not have an Ocean Front Room, we could open our curtains and see the ocean. The complex consisted of several buildings but it did seem that most of the rooms had at least some view of the ocean. This was also a pleasant surprise to wake up the next morning and hear the waves crashing on the beach. We even saw a couple of seals bobbing in the water.

Unique Quality: Great Views

• Business Services
  • Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet

San Simeon Travel Forum

Need advice about San Simeon, California? Visit the Travel Forum for San Simeon and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Simeon hotel reviews

Hearst castle - The pools
Hearst Castle, of course
Elephant Seals - the unofficial view point
Things to Do
Go To Hearst Castle (Part 3)
Things to Do
Go To Hearst Castle (Part 2)
Ride Along US Highway 1
Don't miss the pools
Hearst Castle Historical Exhibit
PIEDRAS BLANCAS BEACH HAS ELEPHANT SEALS
Things to Do
Visit the elephant seal rookery
Go to the Beach
Kayaking at San Simeon Cove
Visit the beach
Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Vista Point
Elephant Seals at Piedras Blancas
Piedras Blancas Light
Old Town San Simeon
Things to Do
The Elephant Seals Are A Sight To Behold!
Things to Do
The Indoors is just as beautiful
Amazing outdoor architecture
Neptune Pool
Athletic Activities
Seal Colony
Things to Do
Hearst Castle La Cuesta...
Roundtrip USA.... the next page