9390 Castillo Drive, San Simeon, California, 93452, United States

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Silver Surf Motel

WOW!!

by rdawdy about Manta Rey

The Manta Rey was a totally unexpected fantastic restaurant in a strip mall just off the highway. The food was fresh, resasonable, plentiful, and the service totally professional. We stayed at the Silver Surf Motel and asked the people at the front desk where to eat. They recommended the Manta Rey and gave us a 10% off coupon. In my travel experiences that usually means "you can get better food but you can't pay more for it". We checked the menu, saw the nice variety of seafood and decided to give it a try. We had to wait about 10 minutes for a table but it was well worth it! As we were going in, a man who had just finished told us we needed to try the lobster encrusted sea bass - we'll have to go back because none of the four of us chose that entree. All I can say is that if you want San Francisco quality food at a local price (entrees 12-20, wine 20-50) you have to try this place. I will definately go out of my way to eat here again. I had seafood pasta with fresh clams, shrimp, scallops, etc. My wife had a huge piece of calamari, our friends had the fried seafood sampler platter - I was the only one who could finish the entire meal.

The Pacific coast near San SimeonThe Pacific coast near San Simeon

Hearst castle - San Simeon - USAHearst castle - San Simeon - USA

Elephant seals on the beach 1Elephant seals on the beach 1

Sunset at Moonstone beachSunset at Moonstone beach

Travel Tips for San Simeon

The power (and wealth) from a media0tycoon.

by Pavlik_NL

Randolph William Hearst. As child he inherated his parents millions from gold- and silvermining and knew well where to invest it. He became the newspaperking of the United States and he who holds the media ... holds a important part of power (namely the possibility to influence public opinion). Slogans like "there's no better news then bad news" showed who the dark side of him, especially when he adds whispering "and if ther's no bad news ... one always can make it!" In connection with this, still there are people that suspect him of setting up the Spain-American war over Cuban independance. Anyway, his place here in the mountains of San Simeon is a beautiful place, with a strange legacy. The guide with whome I had the biggest fun during the tour.

Piedras Beach Rookery

by yooperprof

Every year about 2000 seals are born at the Piedras Blancas beach. It's fascinating to observe their mating and birth experiences. The male bull seals sometimes have fierce battles to protect their large harems.

San Simeon Tip

by Krystynn

Still at HEARST CASTLE....

This is the Refectory - the huge Dining Room where Mr Hearst would hold his many lavish dinners and grand functions. Ah, lifestyles of the Rich and Very Rich!! ;-D

One of Mr Hearst's favorite pastime was to invite his many glittering Hollywood celebrity pals over to this mansion and it is here that the scene of many extravagant gatherings took place. He also wined and dined his many rich and famous friends (from bankers to lawyers) and legendary aristocrats from all over the world... including 'powerful' friends from the National Government besides those that he already know in show business! I wish I were born 50 years earlier... I'm sure Mr Hearst and I would be great friends. Yeah, I wish! ;-))

San Simeon Tip

by Krystynn

Oops! Here's a candid shot of me standing just next to the impressive Roman Outdoor Pool.

Noticed the thick fog?? Yes, even in summer, this place can get VERY chilly and foggy. Brrrrr...

This pic was taken in July, just after America's Independence Day.

Comments