9135 Hearst Drive, San Simeon, California, 93452, United States

Costs 50% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about The Orchid Inn At San Simeon

Total disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member chuckg2

Upon arriving at the motel, our first reaction was "all right! this place looks O.K." It was all downhill from there on. Our room wasn't in the main hotel (the South Wing) with the attractive lobby, dining area, pool, and modern exterior. It was up the highway, on the other side of an older "Mexican restaurant" in the North Wing. It had tackey decor, filthy cushions on the loveseat, and a dated style of architecture. We felt that it was an older motel, remodeled and made part of the Sea Coast Lodge. We had numerous other complaints (ants, bugs, unclean linen, etc.). And finally, the "deluxe continental breakfast" consisted only of plain bagels, toast, individual boxed servings of cereal, coffee, juice, and really small miniture yogurt cartons. My recommendation is that if you make reservations here, request only accommidations in the "South wing" and eat breakfast in a restaurant somewhere else.

My words cannot do this place justice

by TripAdvisor Member CharlesMarr

One-star-dump.

Room was dirty. I mean REALLY dirty. Bed was lumpy. At least it was lumpy where the springs had not already broken to create a slop to the bed that resulted in my wife falling out twice. That's right - twice. We then switched sides and I had the pleasure of falling out.

At least the only thing wounded was our wallet.

Good value if you can't afford a place right on the beach

by TripAdvisor Member RebeccaLws

It was a little hard to find. Our internet reservations were for the "Seacoast Lodge," but that must be the old name for the property. The sign says "Orchid Inn," but the address was on the south wall of the building - just hard to spot in the dark. We were at the economy sister lodge 200 feet away from the main building.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Even though we were in the economy-sister property, we were still welcome at the main building with the heated indoor pool. They told us not to worry about bringing towels, they provided them at the pool.

The room was clean and cheerful. The carpet was a little old and had a couple of stained spots, but in decent shape. We wanted some fresh air, but the window wouldn't stay open so we propped it open with the ice bucket. It was probably designed to not stay open for security reasons since we were on the ground floor.

I would not hesitate to stay there again and would recommend it to anyone who wants to stay near San Simeon but can't afford to stay at the places on Moonstone Beach.

disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member rob001

I recently posted the review below with a rating of 2 (out of 5). Since posting the review, I was contacted by one of the hotel owners who was concerned about the issues that I encountered during my stay (she was not certain that I was the one who had left the tripadvisor review, but knew that I had filed a complaint with the hotel staff.) She wanted to hear about my concerns, agreed that improvements could be made, and explained that the hotel is currently in the process of addressing my concerns. She assured me that the hotel prides itself on a high level of customer service, which she acknowledged should have been extended to me during my stay. Based on the level of customer service that she displayed, I have raised my rating to 3 (out of 5) and will give the hotel a second chance.

Old Review:

We were very excited to stay at the Orchid Inn after seeing the on-line photos and hearing others' reviews. However, we were very disappointed in our stay.

When we booked the room (and checked in at 10:00 pm) we were told that our stay included a hot breakfast, which started at 8:00 am. We had to be at Hearst Castle at 8:40 am for our reserved tour. When we went down for breakfast at 8:00 am, we were told that there would be no breakfast. Apparently, according to the person at the front desk, the person that had been working the night before had forgotten to order the breakfast with the restaurant next door. Instead, the hotel had a breakfast basket for us. The basket had a cold hard bagel in a plastic bag, a cup of yogurt, and a cup of milk. The person seemed to think that this basket would suffice for our "hot breakfast," while seeming to take no ownership of the problem. Why would a hotel rely on one person to order breakfast every day, and not have a set agreement with the restaurant? And if a mistake like this happens, why would the hotel expect the customers to pay the full rate? (the rate was much too expensive not to include breakfast) We had to complain and express our disappointment before being offered a discount. Luckily, we found a nearby cafe (The Big Sur California Cafe) that prepared our breakfast in 5 minutes. They were great! We were still able to make it to the tour on time.

We were also disappointed with the hotel itself. The on-line pictures had us expecting a nicely decorated modern hotel. The building appears to have been constructed in the last 5 or 10 years as a cheap motel/hotel. They have furnished the hotel nicely, but the furniture doesn't change the fact that the building materials (bathroom fixtures, windows, etc.) are cheap.

Lastly, there was a refrigerator in the room that would rev periodically throughout the night, waking us up. We should have just unplugged it.

The hotel was clean, and the bed was comfortable.

Disappointing. The pictures are misleading

by TripAdvisor Member AustinMjo

A friend and I decided to meet in LA and travel up the PCH. He had always wanted to see Hearst Castle (which is amazing and should not be missed). We planned our trip so that we could be at Hearst Castle for a morning tour which meant we had to book a hotel close by. That is how we landed at the Orchid Inn. It looked like the pick of the (rather ratty) litter. We arrived in the evening. The room that we were shown was cramped and faced the highway. (I had asked for a room facing the ocean when I made the reservation). I asked for a different room across the hall. After some hesitation the person at the desk changed rooms for us. Why couldn't they have just honored my request when they obviously had extra rooms???
For the money this place is NO WHERE near worth it. The pictures are misleading to say the least and the picture of the ocean HAD to have been taken in the parking lot standing on your toes because that was NOT the view even from a room facing the ocean. All of the motels on that strip looked tired and worn out but at least they are not pretending to be something they are not. Anywhere else this would have been a $75 room.
Breakfast was interestingly delivered to the door in a basket. According to the website this was an option but we never saw breakfast in the lobby. The basket was it.
If you have a choice keep driving on up (or down the road).

A nightmare!

by TripAdvisor Member brighteyesh

We will never stay at Orchid Inn again. We were fooled by the lobby which looked really nice. The hallway and our room was very warm. The room was not very clean. The floor was stained bad and there was a stain on the comforter. The bathroom was disgusting. The toilet looked like it hadn't been clean in a long time and there was a woman's hair in the shower. I tried washing it down the drain but it flooded because the drain did not work. There was something dead floating in the water. I think it was a fly or a spider. I didn't care to see. I jumped out of the shower when I seen it and went to bed with conditioner in my hair. At 1:00 a.m. we left to go to another hotel. The room was so hot and we couldn't open up the window to get fresh air. It would only crack open. I told the person at the front desk how bad the room was but they would only refund our money for one night. We will never go back there again. They should of refunded all of our money for such a horrible room.

Very Nice: Would Recommend Hotel To Any One

by TripAdvisor Member memberOaklandCA

The Orchid Inn at San Simeon CA.: " We Loved the Orchid Inn"
We had never been to San Simeon Ca. before, so I went on trip advisor to read reviews on hotels, and when I read the reviews on this hotel, I decided that this would be the hotel to stay at. There were some reviews that said negative things, but I took them into consideration and told myself that you cannot please everybody, no matter how hard you try! So I decided to give them a call, and made a reservation.
If you are looking for a nice, clean, relaxing hotel, this is the hotel to consider staying at. Me, My Husband, and two children stayed at this hotel November 20, 21, 22, 2006, When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by a friendly staff. The lobby was relaxing, The entertainment was great. We relaxed in the lounge every evening listening to Mr. Allan King Sing. (He was fabulous.) During our stay we visited the Hearst Castle twice to see different tours: We also was able to see the Elephant Seals, (great to see) which only come to San Simeon once a year. We plan on visiting San simeon Ca. again and I can assure you that the Orchid Inn will be the hotel for me and my family.
Oakland CA (December 2006)

Great place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member LindaFt.Worth

We made reservations for a one night stay. The Orchid Inn was full but we booked its sister property, The Traveler, just a short walk nearby. When we arrived, the manager upgraded us to the Orchid Inn. The rooms and service were wonderful. The bedrooms are large and we had a faux fireplace. The front desk was very accommodating. We had to leave early the next morning and the staff had a breakfast basket waiting for us at the door. I can't recommend this hotel enough for its service and its location. It is just a short drive away from the Hearst Castle.

Loved the Bed and Fireplace!

by TripAdvisor Member Cat2000

We were looking for a place to stay on our way down from Monterey and decided to stop at San Simeon. We were very nicely suprised about this Inn. It felt more like a luxury hotel to us!! The bed was absoloutely fantastic with two thick mattresses and the room even came with a fireplace and ocean views. Bathrobes were also included and other room amenities included fridge, coffee grinder and coffee machine, TV, hairdryer, iron and ironing board just to name some. Breakfast was included in the price (only $109 + tax per night) but it unfortunately did not meet the standards of the accommodation at all. A small basket with some juice, yoghurt, cheese and (old) bread was delivered to our room, but the fresh coffee made up for the otherwise disappointing breakfast. I would highly recommed this Inn to anyone - very nice!

Not too Shabby, San Francisco, CA

by TripAdvisor Member Moreea1

The hotel was good except that the buildings are split in two with a Mexican restaruant residing in between. Building 1 is the best out both. No beach access had to go to the Best Western and use their beach and camp fire (a must do).

The room was nice but no room service or restaurant on site. Good places across the street.

Five minutes away from Hearst Castle.

Comments