Best Western Pepper Tree Inn

Orbitz.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• paradisedreamer's Profile Photo

Bw Pepper Tree Inn

Built in Spanish style architecture the hotel is a bit like a motel - 2 levels and you can park right by your door. All the rooms open onto a private terrace leading to the central gardens and overlook the pool and jacuzzi area.

Unique Quality: Since it was our honey moon we received complimentary champagne and fruit which was anice touch, especially since we only stayed one night.

• Well I would say the less...

Well I would say the less expensive accomodations are in Goleta.

But depending on time of season you may find moderate accomadations downtown.

Exspect to pay between 80-200 dollars a night depending on season and location.. I told yaa it was expensive!..:)
    Some names to look up online..
    Pepper Tree Inn 805-682-7277 very close to beach and Breakwater
    Best Western Pepper Tree Inn. 3850 State 805-687-5511
    State Street Hotel 121 State 805-962-2499

However there is a hostel close to downtown.. I have no idea of the prices but the name is..
    Banana Bungalow 210 East Ortega 805-963-0154

More about Best Western Pepper Tree Inn

Not Enough Pepper for the Price

by TripAdvisor Member openbook

While we enjoyed our stay at the Pepper Tree Inn, travelers should be advised that the property is more of a "motel" than a "hotel."

We were amazed that our room (and all rooms) didn't have a guest information directory. This left us reliant on asking questions of the front desk (which we found was very hit and miss depending on the clerk). There was no information on the Mission, the Botanical Gardens, good walking beaches, etc. There were maps available at the desk, but that also should have been part of the nonexistent directory.

The toilets in the guest rooms are ridiculous. In "decorating" the vanity there is no way to sit down without feeling as if you're in a torture chamber. My family took to using the pool restrooms rather than endure the one in the room. It's hard to believe the GM hasn't sat down on the toilets to do his own assessment.

While fruit and coffee are offered in the lobby, the selections seemed hit or miss (bananas not there one day, there another - mushy oranges). It also would have been better if it had been more kid friendly (no hot chocolate).

The front desk often seemed overwhelmed, especially in the afternoon/evening (phones not answered until dozens of rings).

On the positive side, there is a complimentary front car window wash every morning by staff, and the gardening was beautifully maintained.

There are no rollaways at the property, but they do have an alternative of semi-futons. We only learned this after trying to create a "nest" for our daughter (the information was not offered upon check-in).

It is a nice property, but it's about four miles to the beach, and at a minimum of $120 a night (midweek), a traveler might consider the alternatives. For about the same rate you can be much closer to the beach, or at half the rate you can go the Motel 6 or Days Inn route.

What a Great Best Western

by TripAdvisor Member Esther56

What a nice Best Western. The rooms were just the right size for two which also included a table and two chairs along with a mini fridge. The carpet seemed very new and the tub and sinks were very clean and even seemed new. The wallpaper in the room was very nice and seemed new. We were surprised how large the hot tub and the pool were. We were on the second floor in a very quiet area close to the corner and each balcony was private. Infact, the whole area seemed very quiet. Only wished the hot tub was open until 10:00 p.m. instead of 9:00 p.m. Nice touch to have a computer in the lobby to get directions to where ever you wanted to go. We stayed for three days and plan on staying there again.

A lovely stay

My Boyfriend and I stayed here on a tour of California and Nevada. I thought the pool area with the Pepper Tree very homely, like sunbathing in the back garden. The breakfast was also the best we had in the whole 2 weeks of touring. I thought the room was very functional and airy and although the bathroom was a little small, it had everything that was needed for a short stay. We had a great night out in Santa Barbara drinking beer and listening to live music.....although they are pretty strict about ID. I got ID'd everywhere and I am 30 years old!!!! This would never happen in London!!

A Best Kept Secret

After a four night five day stay, we didn't want to leave. The staff was courteous and informative. The room was clean and well maintained. The grounds are also beautifully maintained.

The hotel is not the closest to some of Santa Barbara's main attractions, but it's not far either. Access to and from the hotel is a breeze and it's conveniently located to the freeway. The Mall across the street has a Starbucks* which is always a plus!

The pool (of which they have two of) could've been a tad warmer, but it too was clean and refreshing.

The restaurant/bar on property was good. The bar while awfully small, was a nice find. Good martinis.

Our next stay will definitely be at the Pepper Tree.

Loved this place -- try it out !!

by TripAdvisor Member BogeyBob

We stayed here for two nights on July 10 & 11, 2004. Very nice, clean rooms, comfortable bedding, quiet, view of pool, good bathroom. This hotel had more amenities that others that cost far more. I would certainly stay here again. Good staff, really nice pool and hot tub, in a nice area of Santa Barbara, about 10 minutes from the ocean. First time I ever stayed in a hotel/motel where my car windshield was perfectly cleaned each morning by the staff......nice touch.! Decent place for breakfast right next door. Overall, a very nice place to spend a few nights, even more. Bravo to BW Peppertree Inn, Santa Monica.

Great value

by TripAdvisor Member calcej91302

We stayed at the Pepper Tree overnight to see a concert at the SB Bowl and found the staff very friendly. The adjoining restaurant was excellent, good food and reasonable prices. They even cleaned our car windshield as a courtesy. There was fruit in our room and a shopping complex is across the street from this motel. We would defintely stay there again.

best kept secret

by TripAdvisor Member netflyer

We only were able to stay here one night because we were traveling by car from San Fran down to the Hearst Castle. Wish we had more time. The rooms were clean and very comfortable for the money. We had fruit in the room and a fridge, also had a balcony overlooking the courtyard. Staff was very friendly. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the window overlooking the outside hall from the bathroom. It just seemed strange.

A good night before Cambria

by largerama

ON our way up the PCH from Santa Monica and will be staying in Cambria on the 21/8 but it is the wife's birthday the night before and need somewhere a little special. Any suggestions on places, accom, restaurants, etc etc.

by travelgourmet

The night before the birthday. Does this mean you will be going to Cambria but stopping for one night somewhere inbetween Santa Monica and Cambri? If so, then no better place to stop is almost 1/2 way. The "American Riviera" city of Santa Barbara. I have the website of the hotel I choose for the out of the way location above the busy lower State St or Beach area. It is the Best Western Pepper Tree Inn but there are 5 hotels in Santa Barbara in the group to choose among. See website: www.sbhotels.com
Dinner is special at "Bouchon". I have a review of Bouchon on my VT Santa Barbara restaurant page and their website is listed there as well. There are many hotels/motels in Santa Barbara as well as restaurants.

If you are going up to Cambria, before you get there on Hwy 1 is Morro Bay. A quaint waterside town with one of the best Hotel/Restaurants on the central coast, in my opinion. The Inn at Morro Bay and the Orchid Restaurant are very special and the view from the bar is outstanding of the bay and Morro Rock. I have a review of the Hotel/Restaurant on my VT Morro Bay hotel with their website. Happy Birthday to your wife and enjoy California.

by GracesTrips

Hopefully money is no object, but Geoffrey's in Malibu is supposed to be one of the best places to dine. The restaurant is literally located on a cliff overlooking the ocean.
Make reservations in advance - ask for a window seat.

Here's the link:

by travelgourmet

If staying in the Santa Monica Area, I enjoy "Moonshadows" in Malibu,on the water. Website: www.moonshadowsmalibu.com

by HarmoniousBotch

Wit appologies toi Grace, I've been going to Geoffrey's for years, and it is in decine, IMHO. The view is still great, but now the food seems to be the quality of something purchased at Costco and shoved in the microwave.

by trvlrtom

Not far south from Cambria is the smaller coastal town of Cayucos. There is a nice beach there and one of the best restaurants in the whole area: Hobbes.

by HarmoniousBotch

Hobbe's? I believe the previous poster is referring to Hoppe's Garden Bistro & Wine Shop. It is a tad crowded, but definitely worth visiting.
It's been a few years, but I still remember one of the best salads I've ever had. Order the spinach salad with pears and goat cheese if they still have it.

by USanFrancisco

I'd also recommend Santa Barbara!

by orcoastgirl

The Wine Cask in Santa Barbara is very nice! :)

by largerama