18 Bath Street, Santa Barbara, California, 93101, United States
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Santa Barbara

Kayaking inside Paited Cave, Santa Cruz IslandKayaking inside Paited Cave, Santa Cruz Island

Ernst & I atop the clocktower at courthouseErnst & I atop the clocktower at courthouse

early morning Missionearly morning Mission

State St, Santa Barbara, CAState St, Santa Barbara, CA

a day in santa ynez valley and a day in santa barbara

by sheisaeval

Anyway, next month (march) I am spending two days (well, two full days, plus the first day's evening, I'll be leaving the morning of the day after)
Anyway, for my first full day, we will have a car available and will be driving around the Santa Ynez Valley. Here are some things we are thinking about doing:

Chamush painted caves shp (does this cost?)
clairmont farms
zaca mesa winery
quicksilver ranch
solvang - visiting danish bakeries (any suggestions?), santa ines?
ostrichland

sb contemporary arts forum
farmers market
stearns wharf
chase palm park

Any other suggestions or what to do or see? We prefer cheap/free things if possible.

Also, what are some places we can get some good picnic food (but not too pricy) if we decide to picnic in the santa ynez valley while we're there?

by giampiero6

I can comment on Santa Ynez valley, but not so much on Santa Barbara. If I were you, I would plan on spending a tiny bit of time in Los Olivos, which is right were many wineries surround. It's a quaint little town. I'm not sure Zaca mesa is the best wine around. There is some delicious wine in the area, particularly if you are a fan of Pinot Noir. Babcock, Melville, Blackjack...for a nice drive, Foxen and good view (average wine) Firestone. Anyway, if you know where Zaca is, you'll find the others. Personally I'd put a little time into wine tasting. And one other note. If I were you, I'd go from SB to Santa Ynez valley via Lake Cachuma - I believe it's the 154. It's a great drive and only a few minutes longer. Have fun...it's my favorite short trip from LA!

by zuriga

I've driven through Solvang twice on trips in California, and I can highly recommend the bakeries there. We once polished off about 8 Danish pastries before we got 100 miles away. Well, there were 4 of us! :-) It's a beautiful area. The mission in Santa Barbara is also a nice, inexpensive thing to see.

by GracesTrips

Mortensen's Danish Bakery in Solvang is the best! Easy to find. I would load up on their pastries. Sounds like you have a full itinerary for your trip, you should have a lot of fun. There is a pretty cool motorcycle museum in Solvang you might want to check out.

by tracys2cents

El Rancho market is a good place for picnic supplies. Full service upscale deli, cheese& wine shop etc. As you leave Solvang and head east towards Santa Inez, you will see it on the right, before the gambling casino.

by desertbunny4

The last time I was at Nojoqui Falls, there wasn't much water falling and there were so many bees that we were attacked before we left the car. Solvang and Santa Barbara Mission and the pier in Santa Barbara are your best bets. Anderson's Pea Soup Restaurant at the junction before Solvang turnoff is the best -

by giampiero6

Sorry..I must disagree....there is so much great food in the Santa Ynez valley, that I think it would be a BIG disservice to give the impression that Andersens' Pea Soup is the best. Los Olivos Cafe is Great. Mattei's Tavern is great. Panino in Los Olivos is great for sandwiches. Andersens' is very more like diner food, and in my opinion nothing special from other family style dining places like a Denny's or Marie Callenders. Just my opinion...

Travel Tips for Santa Barbara

Good To Know and Go Phone Numbers

by keida84

There are many necessary phone numbers a visitor should have, so here is for your custom travel guide for Santa Barbara:

Emergency:
911 (Even a dead cell phone will dial 911)

Hospital:

Amtrak Train: 800 872 7245
Local bus service MTD SB: 805 683 3702

Visitor Information:
Santa Barbara Conference & Visitor Bureau 805 966 9222

Explore State Street with its...

by califdweller

Explore State Street with its red-tiled roofs and palm trees. Many fine galleries, restaurants, and shops there...also many historical plaques and markers identifying early buildings. Santa Barbara has unforgettable scenery....walking down the beach in Montecito in the rain was lovely....ocean pounding and no one else around hardly....

Thats me! Trying to stay dry under our umbrella!

find a place to stay..it is...

by michelangelo

find a place to stay..it is quite expensive and mostly it is necessary to make a reservation..
if this done i would recommend a visitto the sea at first,a real sandy beach!(abit less in summer as very crowded;
you have to see state street then just stroll around;;
of course there are other specific things to visit such as santa barbara museum of art(fre on thursdays)
good and interesting collection of matisse,dali,chagall,but also interesting californian art;frederic remington
the santa barbara zoo!a must!very interesting but mostly for children who will really enjoy it! the pier is very attractive!

4th of July Celebration

by Cammel11

Forth of July can be very fun in Santa Barbara. The whole community celebrates by going to West Beach to watch the fireworks. From about 5pm to 10pm Cabrillo blvd. closes all traffic coming through. Along the beach there is live music and food. The fireworks start around 9:00- 9:30 ish. Get there early and don't drive your car downtown because you will not find parking after 2pm. The fireworks show is always good!

Biking in the sun

by AgentJX

Santa Barbara/Goleta has a good network of bike paths throughout the city. Some these are simply a designated lane on the side of roads (sometimes a little narrow for comfort) but in other cases they are separate and generally well maintained paths. The main route between Goleta and Santa Barbara has long stretches away from street traffic and is a good route for a more serious bike ride (at time pretty scenic at times not so much). Likewise there are many trails that run from the beach to the hills where you can pick some roads that will test your climbing skills.

Comments