11560 Calle Real, Santa Barbara, California, 93117, United States

Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

• keida84's Profile Photo

Pampered Camping

This place was a lot of fun. For my husband's birthday I took him to El Capitan Canyon.

We originally were suppose to have a safari tent but were upgraded to a Canyon Queen cabin which to my husband's absolute delight had a sleeping loft.

All the cabins and tents come with linens, towels and extra bedding. If you plan to cook you need to bring cooking supplies (cabins do have microwaves and small refrigerators)
    Each site has a fire pit and a picnic table.

The cabins have ensuite bath and toilet facilities.

This was such fun, we roasted marshmellows and hot dogs over our firepit. Kept vigil for a persistent skunk who wanted to invade our picnic area. We were able to clearly view the Perseid's meteor shower.

This is an experience not to be missed. Pampered camping is what I call it.

Rates vary for the cabins and the safari tents. Mid week prices are more affordable and note that summer is considered high season. We had an introductory rate for our night's stay which was reasonable especially since it was summer (August).

Unique Quality: It feels like "Out of Africa." You can actually rent safari tents which are canvas flap tents built on raised wooden decks. The tents all have beautiful queen size beds and are outfitted with electricity. The bathouses are well within walking distance.

The Canyon has a "No car in the canyon" policy so shuttles run from 8am to 10pm. The use of bicycles is strongly encouraged.

There is a "no pet" policy as well.

The beach is a good hike away but well worth it.

For those who do not wish to cook you can buy your meals at the Canyon Market and Deli. They have everything there from matches to roasting sticks to bug repellant to snacks of all kind.

They had a lovely gift shop where one could purchase candles, sweatshirts, cards and music. My husband bought me a very cool walking stick which I use a lot.

Directions: Far west end of Santa Barbara off the 101 freeway.

More about El Capitan Canyon

Santa Barbara

by keida84

"The Town Where It All Began"

Santa Barbara holds special meaning for me as it was the town where I met and married my husband, Paul.

He was a professor at UCSB and a mutual friend of ours set us up on a blind date and the rest, as it is said, is history.

We were married at El Presidio de Santa Barbara, a restored Catholic chapel (no longer sanctified by the church) but run by the state.

Our wedding pictures were taken in the Dorothy Keck Memorial Gardens which are some of the most beautiful gardens you'll ever see.

We went back to the gardens 11 years later and had a hard time recognizing the tree in our wedding portrait as it had grown even larger.

Santa Barbara is one of the prettiest places to get married.

AND...

My husband reminded me, has great shopping too!

If you are getting married in SB a great place for cake is Henning's Cake on Figueroa.

El Paseo Nuevo is the big shopping plaza on State Street that houses Nordstrom, Macys, April Cornell, and California Pizza Kitchen. There is Coldwater Creek, Pierre La Fond's and Aveda too.

Shop for antiques in Summerland and Montecito.

La Arcada is a shopping courtyard with interesting sculptures, a great photo opportunity.

Accommodations: A Secret Garden Inn and Cottages, The Glenborough Inn, Prufrock's, Cheshire Cat, the Four Season's Biltmore and the El Encanto are some just to name a few. Then for those of you who may enjoy a pampered camping experience take a look at the El Capitan Canyon accomodation tip where you can rent a Safari tent for the night.

And there are some restaurants that we as former "locals" like to go to.

Check out the tip for the I Madonnari Festival in May

• Aug 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM

We stayed in one of their cabins a few weeks ago, nice enough but tiny, very expensive, and very little privacy as they're almost on top of each other. Also, you can't park anywhere near your cabin so you do a lot of hiking with your stuff.

We were in the Santa Barbara area again this weekend and decided to try El Capitan Canyon's bar-b-que dinner on Saturday night. We were shocked to discover they charge $10 a PERSON to park. We had three families in two cars and had to pay $100 to PARK! The bar-b-que was an additional $20 a person.

The staff was apathetic, which I could put up with, but the price gouging clearly makes this place a tourist trap.

The beach is lovely, but is in no way associated with this place so I'd advise enjoying the beach and then heading 10 minutes south to Carpenteria where the dining and lodging choices are much better. Or head another couple of minutes down the coast to Santa Barbara where you'll have many far superior choices.