28 W. Cabrillo Blvd., Santa Barbara, California, 93101, United States

Official Site Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Try Canary Hotel SB instead

Based on the great reviews on this site, I reserved a room at the Harbor View Inn. Boy, was I in for a surprise. I planned to come down from San Francisco to run the Santa Barbara marathon. I invited my little brother to run it with me, and as an early Christmas present, I offered to pay his entry fee and for the hotel room. Shortly before the marathon, however, I caught the flu, and the day before, I decided that I was still too sick to run. My little brother still wanted to run, however, so I called the Harbor View Inn to confirm that they should simply charge the room to the credit card that I used for the reservation.

Katie at the front desk told me that I would have to come in and physically sign the receipt. I explained my situation and that I was in San Francisco, and I asked her to send me whatever authorization form they needed me to sign. She refused. She stated that the only way I could pay for the room without being physically present would be to send a check before arrival, which if it cleared in advance, would be deemed acceptable. I pointed out that since my reservation was for the next day, this was not going to work.

After 30 minutes of back-and-forth with her and her supervisor, Nate, I offered to wire transfer the funds. She refused. I asked her why the hotel would not accept a credit card over the phone, even with a faxed, signed authorization form from me. She stated that it was for “my protection.”

I then asked what would happen if I cancelled the reservation. She stated that at this point, she would charge my credit card for the room. I pointed out that if she was willing to charge my credit card if I cancelled the reservation, then it seemed silly to refuse to charge my credit card for the stay, particularly if I faxed her a signed authorization to do so. She refused to budge. As a result, I had to have my little brother charge the room to his credit card, and then I sent him a check. Merry Christmas.

If you look at the reviews marked “terrible” and “poor” on this site, you will see that they consistently point to poor service and/or management. Based on my experience, I must agree. My brother confirmed the reviews that state that that the hotel itself is beautiful. If I were to going to spend $300 to $400 a night, however, I would try the Inn of the Spanish Garden or the Canary Hotel Santa Barbara. That way, I would not have to deal with the staff of the Harbor View Inn.

Unique Quality: none

• Cammel11's Profile Photo

Beach Front

Harbor View Inn is a wonderful place to stay in Santa Barbara. It's one of the few beach front hotels with beautiful rooms! It is pricey, but so are all the other hotels in SB. They have a variety of room types, standard, suites etc.. Some of their amenities include: flat screen TV's, Pool, restaurant, valet parking, concierge... It's located across the street from West beach and the Pier. You can walk to State Street, the beach and the waterfront/ downtown shuttle. For pictures check out their website.

• Harbour View Inn

USD 100-150, depending on day of the week and time of the year.

Unique Quality: The location is great, of course, with the beach just steps away. The rooms are rather large and are very comfortable. There is a workout room that is not too bas as far as hotel workout rooms go - which typically isn't very far! The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Directions: At 28 W. Cabrillo Rd., this hotel is right at the beach!

More about Harbor View Inn

Not impressed

by TripAdvisor Member twoworlds

I chose this hotel based on location and the reviews herein. I stayed in room 117.Good - Room was large, the decor was very nice and the bathroom was gorgeous - large, with a great big tub. The bellman were terrific, and the young man in the gift shop was also very friendly and service-oriented. The terrace/balcony was pretty and had comfortable lounge chairs. The location is close to bike rentals and you can walk out of the hotel and across the road onto the beachBad - I paid a premium for a King Ocean View balcony room and was very disappointed. Keep in mind that the hotel is on a busy road, and the view of the "ocean" is really Stearns Wharf and some dodgy shipping or fishing type industrial stuff. I expected to see an ocean view, not a flat view of water over a busy road. Note the website lists these ground floor rooms as having a raised terrace. Well, it was not raised sufficiently to have a good view.In addition, there was a creak in the floor in the room above. Every time the occupants upstairs walked across the room, I would hear a creak in the ceiling. It woke me before 6.30am both days I stayed (Saturday and Sunday mornings!!) I asked for a room upstairs and was told that they were fully booked on Friday night, about 1/2 hr after check in. I asked about Saturday night (if I could change rooms for just one night) and was told "It's even worse tomorrow night!" I explained that a hotel cannot, by definition, get "worse" in terms of availability than being fully booked already. The front desk agent was momentarily confused. She said, "Well, we're not fully booked tonight (Friday) but we are tomorrow night, and room changes are too hard and complicated." Then she went on to further explain that if you want an upstairs room, you have to say so on booking.I should have checked out right then.When I mentioned the creaking ceiling on checkout, the checkout clerk apologized on behalf of the upstairs occupants. I explained that I didn't hear THEM - ie - no voices or banging, it was the building I could hear. So he apologized and said he'd mention it to management. What I would have expected was a discount from my $256/night room bill.On Sunday one of the staff entered my room despite the Privacy sign being on my door. He "thought I had checked out already" and had come to collect the breakfast dishes from room service.OVERALL. For this location, you are basically staying on motel row. If you want to be here, there are many cheaper places to stay which looked comparable. Maybe the room decor is not as nice, but I can live with that. For the price of the Harbor View Inn I expect a more intimate, gracious place, with exceptional service and no problems like noise from upstairs. Harbor View did not deliver on any count. Stay at the Inn at Spanish Garden which is all of these things, and you'll also get breakfast included.

Nice but a one-shot deal

by TripAdvisor Member 5115

My family and I spent New Year's at the Inn. The room was nice enough, but there were definitely frustrations. For one, there was very little parking availiable, so we had to park at an outlet quite aways from our room and haul our stuff through the lot, over a bridge, thru the grounds etc etc..NOT fun with kids and/or luggage..and minus any help.
My husband searched in vain for a modem outlet that actually worked-to find out that they had charged him nonetheless until we strongly requested they take the charges off..and for a place that asks as much as it does for a room,(we paid nearly 250$ for one night) i found it a bit stingy that upon requesting a forgotten toothbrush-they gave me one-AND charged me. (Even Holiday Inn gives you one for free if you forget yours!) Overall, i just found the service level not very high-and ..and tho I love the city and the hotel location,(and the pool was nice, tho chilly) i would choose another hotel for the price next time.

Harborview Inn Worth a Return Again and Yet Again

by TripAdvisor Member Dolcetto

I stayed at the Harborview Inn, most recently in October, 2003 and before in August, 2003 and back in September, 2002. My first room was a suite on the second floor facing the ocean -- beautifully furnished with all amenties -- and on the second and third occasions in a room with view of pool and ocean on the first level. This latter has become our favorite. I'm able to come and go to the pool and jog along the beach while my husband works in the room. The ambiance is lovely, the rooms well kept and luxurious, and the the location is wonderful, enabling me to stroll the waterfront or go immediately to State Street via the trolley that picks up passengers immediately across the street.
Breakfast in the hotel's eatery is delicious. Every night on all three trips to this hotel has been a dream!

A PERFECT GET-AWAY!!

My husband and I went to Santa Barbara for vacation away from everything and couldn't have picked a better hotel!! The front desk staff were SO friendly and helpful with choosing local restaurants. We had an full ocean view room with a lovely balcony and the view was just spectacular. Being right across from the beach and the pier were convenient, plus there were bike rentals and shops right across the street. The restaurant was quite pricey, but very good. The room was very comfortable/super clean and I loved the large bathroom. I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again!

Very comfortable. Great location.

We had a very nice large room with a terrific view of the ocean. The bathroom was great with a sunken tub. I think for the location and the room, the price was great. It was our anniversary and they had a complimentary bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us upon arrival...nice touch!! It was at a great location right across from the beach and Stearn's Wharf.

Great Place for Families!

This hotel is great. We have two children (one a baby), and we had plenty of space in our room. With a baby, you have tons of gear to lug, and the room and plent of space for all of it. The hotel recommended a nanny service so we were able to go to the hotel restaurant, which is absolutely delicious--great service. Bathroom was gorgeous, but the bed pillows could be a bit better. Over all, a great stay. We'll definitely be back again.

Nice Place

We stayed at Harbor View for 5 nights: 3/19/04 - 3/24/04 and enjoyed it very much. The room was nice, the view was good and the staff was helpful. The restaurant was outstanding, if a little pricey. The only (minor) drawback was the lack of internet access. Only dial-up was available in the room and the line was dirty.

Comments