Harbor View Inn

Tags

Luxury Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Family Travel
See Amenities

Try Canary Hotel SB instead

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 7, 2009

Based on the great reviews on this site, I reserved a room at the Harbor View Inn. Boy, was I in for a surprise. I planned to come down from San Francisco to run the Santa Barbara marathon. I invited my little brother to run it with me, and as an early Christmas present, I offered to pay his entry fee and for the hotel room. Shortly before the marathon, however, I caught the flu, and the day before, I decided that I was still too sick to run. My little brother still wanted to run, however, so I called the Harbor View Inn to confirm that they should simply charge the room to the credit card that I used for the reservation.

Katie at the front desk told me that I would have to come in and physically sign the receipt. I explained my situation and that I was in San Francisco, and I asked her to send me whatever authorization form they needed me to sign. She refused. She stated that the only way I could pay for the room without being physically present would be to send a check before arrival, which if it cleared in advance, would be deemed acceptable. I pointed out that since my reservation was for the next day, this was not going to work.

After 30 minutes of back-and-forth with her and her supervisor, Nate, I offered to wire transfer the funds. She refused. I asked her why the hotel would not accept a credit card over the phone, even with a faxed, signed authorization form from me. She stated that it was for “my protection.”

I then asked what would happen if I cancelled the reservation. She stated that at this point, she would charge my credit card for the room. I pointed out that if she was willing to charge my credit card if I cancelled the reservation, then it seemed silly to refuse to charge my credit card for the stay, particularly if I faxed her a signed authorization to do so. She refused to budge. As a result, I had to have my little brother charge the room to his credit card, and then I sent him a check. Merry Christmas.

If you look at the reviews marked “terrible” and “poor” on this site, you will see that they consistently point to poor service and/or management. Based on my experience, I must agree. My brother confirmed the reviews that state that that the hotel itself is beautiful. If I were to going to spend $300 to $400 a night, however, I would try the Inn of the Spanish Garden or the Canary Hotel Santa Barbara. That way, I would not have to deal with the staff of the Harbor View Inn.

Unique Quality: none

Cammel11's Profile Photo

Beach Front

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 19, 2008

Harbor View Inn is a wonderful place to stay in Santa Barbara. It's one of the few beach front hotels with beautiful rooms! It is pricey, but so are all the other hotels in SB. They have a variety of room types, standard, suites etc.. Some of their amenities include: flat screen TV's, Pool, restaurant, valet parking, concierge... It's located across the street from West beach and the Pier. You can walk to State Street, the beach and the waterfront/ downtown shuttle. For pictures check out their website.

Harbour View Inn

by written on September 7, 2002

USD 100-150, depending on day of the week and time of the year.

Unique Quality: The location is great, of course, with the beach just steps away. The rooms are rather large and are very comfortable. There is a workout room that is not too bas as far as hotel workout rooms go - which typically isn't very far! The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Directions: At 28 W. Cabrillo Rd., this hotel is right at the beach!

Nearby Harbor View Inn

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Santa Barbara Travel Forum

Need advice about Santa Barbara, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Santa Barbara and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Santa Barbara hotel reviews