Hotel Oceana Santa Barbara

Value Score

Poor Value

Costs More and Rated Lower than similar hotels

See Hotels with Better Ratings

Serious Decline In Service!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 27, 2009

I read a previous review and must say I completely concur, what the Oceana was doing well, it is no longer true! !!!

The hotel is an average 3 start at best! Customer service at times in the last three years I have stayed there set them apart.

I should have some insight since I have stayed over 100 plus days for the last three years at this hotel. I am a supposed to be a VIP guest, VIP in off season should be more accurate. Since they were busy, I called at 8 am and requested an early check in 12-1, which is not unusual but at 2;30 the rooms were still not ready.

Basically the condescending arrogant attitude of the management does not begin to match the hotel.

I was placed in the back of the hotel and was not upgraded as I have been for the last several years, this is all based on new management. So they made it competely apparent my loyalty made zero difference if the hotel was full.

I was given a special rate which no longer applied! Let;s just say with all my travels, which I spend more than 50 percent of my year in a hotel, I have a great sense of value and appropriate customer service.

Previous staff was stellar, current staff needs some serious evaluation, they are more concerned about quoting new rules than taking care of their clients.

I cancelled my reservation, changed hotels and will never go back!!!! The hotel I moved to was a completely different and wonderful experience in comparision.

I would highly recommend The Canary which is far more value for your money, gorgeous hotel, well appointed with air conditioning, upscale, close to downtown and the harbor. Most importantly the staff want to go out of their way to accomodate their guests.

Amazingly, I thought it was about pleasing the customer rather than needing to school them on how they should value a sub standard hotel with extremely deficient customer service.

I was told by two staff members the Hotel Oceana has lost most of their VIP clients, that is those clients that routinely stay at this hotel. To know this and not care speaks volumes for the attitude of the hotel and manangement staff!

I was completely embarrased and angry since I also booked a room for a collegue. needless to say she was shocked and surprised by the hotel's attitude and concern.

A guest asked me in the parking lot why I was not be assisted, I explained my dllemma and he shared a story about his check in with other guests complaining about the poor serviice as well!

Do yourself a favor pass on the low end hotel with some cheap updates and as one person thought in their review the floors are not hardwood, they are a plastic floor covering that is peeling. Just another cheap update.

This hotel has struggled with providing customer care consistenly,, but; now they have competely failed,. There are several hotels that will provide a far more concerned attutude and pleasant environment.

I do not think they care, which is important to me, I am very generous to staff and appreciative of good service.

Directions: Cabrillo & Bath

STAY AWAY

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 8, 2009

This place is nasty!! Dirty rugs, holes in the sheets, loud heater, awful rooms, rude staff, confrontational manager, no bath robe provided, squeaky floors, no sound proof - I could hear EVERYTHING my neighbors were doing.
I can go on and on and on.......
The general manager (Melissa T) did not offer me a discount.
After I told her that I wanted to move out and go to a different hotel, she threw their 72 hour cancellation policy in my face and promised to charge my card!!!! So I had to stay there. I felt like a hostage.
It is a RIP OFF!!! I was literally crying after checking out.
Do not trust the pictures on the website and positive reviews on travel websites - those are fake!
Do yourself a favor - stay away from this place and spend your money wisely. There are hundreds of nice hotels on the same street.

Nearby Hotel Oceana Santa Barbara

• Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • Spa

Santa Barbara Travel Forum

Need advice about Santa Barbara, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Santa Barbara and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Santa Barbara hotel reviews