Hotel Oceana Santa Barbara

Hotel Milo Santa Barbara
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 90% more and rated 16% lower than other 3.5 star hotels

• Serious Decline In Service!

I read a previous review and must say I completely concur, what the Oceana was doing well, it is no longer true! !!!

The hotel is an average 3 start at best! Customer service at times in the last three years I have stayed there set them apart.

I should have some insight since I have stayed over 100 plus days for the last three years at this hotel. I am a supposed to be a VIP guest, VIP in off season should be more accurate. Since they were busy, I called at 8 am and requested an early check in 12-1, which is not unusual but at 2;30 the rooms were still not ready.

Basically the condescending arrogant attitude of the management does not begin to match the hotel.

I was placed in the back of the hotel and was not upgraded as I have been for the last several years, this is all based on new management. So they made it competely apparent my loyalty made zero difference if the hotel was full.

I was given a special rate which no longer applied! Let;s just say with all my travels, which I spend more than 50 percent of my year in a hotel, I have a great sense of value and appropriate customer service.

Previous staff was stellar, current staff needs some serious evaluation, they are more concerned about quoting new rules than taking care of their clients.

I cancelled my reservation, changed hotels and will never go back!!!! The hotel I moved to was a completely different and wonderful experience in comparision.

I would highly recommend The Canary which is far more value for your money, gorgeous hotel, well appointed with air conditioning, upscale, close to downtown and the harbor. Most importantly the staff want to go out of their way to accomodate their guests.

Amazingly, I thought it was about pleasing the customer rather than needing to school them on how they should value a sub standard hotel with extremely deficient customer service.

I was told by two staff members the Hotel Oceana has lost most of their VIP clients, that is those clients that routinely stay at this hotel. To know this and not care speaks volumes for the attitude of the hotel and manangement staff!

I was completely embarrased and angry since I also booked a room for a collegue. needless to say she was shocked and surprised by the hotel's attitude and concern.

A guest asked me in the parking lot why I was not be assisted, I explained my dllemma and he shared a story about his check in with other guests complaining about the poor serviice as well!

Do yourself a favor pass on the low end hotel with some cheap updates and as one person thought in their review the floors are not hardwood, they are a plastic floor covering that is peeling. Just another cheap update.

This hotel has struggled with providing customer care consistenly,, but; now they have competely failed,. There are several hotels that will provide a far more concerned attutude and pleasant environment.

I do not think they care, which is important to me, I am very generous to staff and appreciative of good service.

Directions: Cabrillo & Bath

• STAY AWAY

This place is nasty!! Dirty rugs, holes in the sheets, loud heater, awful rooms, rude staff, confrontational manager, no bath robe provided, squeaky floors, no sound proof - I could hear EVERYTHING my neighbors were doing.
    I can go on and on and on.......
    The general manager (Melissa T) did not offer me a discount.
    After I told her that I wanted to move out and go to a different hotel, she threw their 72 hour cancellation policy in my face and promised to charge my card!!!! So I had to stay there. I felt like a hostage.
    It is a RIP OFF!!! I was literally crying after checking out.
    Do not trust the pictures on the website and positive reviews on travel websites - those are fake!
    Do yourself a favor - stay away from this place and spend your money wisely. There are hundreds of nice hotels on the same street.

More about Hotel Oceana Santa Barbara

S/b called Motel Oceana

by TripAdvisor Member garnmad

No way should it be called Hotel Oceana, more appropriate would be Motel Oceana. As one other review put it they took a true motel and attempted to upgrade to a hotel. Considering what we paid, I would say they failed. Does not have the ammenties of a true hotel but is a wannabe. All it has going for it is a great location.

Charged us $6 @ day to park in a alley. It rained will we were there thus created large puddles that we had to go through from the car to our room.

We booked a king w/ocean view. They put is in a queen at the top of the stairs, no elevator in the complex, with a window that had a partial view of the ocean. So anyone coming up the stairs would see right in our room if we had the drapes open to enjoy the view. Called the frontdesk and they said they would move us to a king with a true ocean view.

Got to the second room and it was a king w/a ocean view, but the only other place you could sit was a hard straight back chair. Rooms were VERY small.

AS A NOTE: Read reviews prior to booking and noticed there were a few negative ones. Had the same experince with a cruise ship. Just a note to the wise if you see more then a couple of negative reviews think twice about booking it.

Not what we expected....

We go to Santa Barbara every year for the Thanksgiving holiday week. We have always stayed at the West Beach Inn, (just down from the Hotel Oceana), but decided to try something different, plus the rates had gone up at the West Beach. We've walked past the Hotel Oceana many times, and knew of the motels that were there previously before the renovation. However, despite all that previous information, after researching their website, we decided to stay there. As many have stated the website is very deceiving! We paid $6 for parking, something we've never had to do before. Then to see that the continental breakfast had a $10 charge, again something that is not mentioned on the website. My husband went down just to take a look in the morning, and was astounded that they were charging $10 for the usual bagels and pastries. Also, no coffee machine in the room, almost a given now adays in the best hotels. We were informed we could have a cup of coffee brought to our room for $2......how generous! Then the next thing we realized, no ice machines! Every time you needed ice you had to call down to the office, to have it brought up. I do admit that the bellboy who brought it to us, did not extend his hand for a tip......good thing! The Aveda products were very nice, but as previously mentioned, they were extremely stingy with them, no replacements. The room was very small with just the chair and desk, and a queen size bed, even though I had booked a room with a king. Needless to say, we will not be back but go with the higher rates at West Beach Inn, or try the recommendation of others at the Harbor View Inn!

mixed feelings

by TripAdvisor Member bubblicious_elmo

This hotel is nice but not quite there. We just got back from our stay at Hotel Oceana and our feelings are kind of mixed. Our room was nice and clean. The bed and pillows are awesome. I didn't feel like I was sleeping at a hotel, but at home. The bed linens were so soft and pampering. Our room was decorated in bright colors. But the walls were a little bare, the bathroom almost had no decoration, nothing to make it feel cozy. The bed and the linens make the room feel luxurious, but the old tv cabinet and furniture make you realize that they did a quick remodel by painting over stuff. We went out shopping and got back to our hotel around 11:30p.m. We bought some tea and were loooking for some hot water. There is no coffee maker in the rooms, so I went to the front desk to ask where I can get some hot water...they told me that they had no water, and that I should get hot water from the tap. I just never expected that from a hotel that charges $150 plus a night!!! They don't have any services available!! so then I asked the front desk person where the ice machines were located. I went over to get some ice....and they CHARGE MONEY for ICE!!!!In the morning, we over slept and woke up past the checkout time(which is at 11), I called the front desk and asked them if we could check out by 12, the front desk girl paused and said, "Umm...uh...yeah" like she was doing me some huge favor. Hotel Oceana has a lot of potential, great location and great bed....but they charge for everything ($6.00 for parking, $6.00 for toothbrush/razor, $ for ice!)....so i felt kind of nervous because I was afraid i would be charged for it.

Better to go elsewhere

I was booked into this hotel by our office manager. I stayed two days.
It wasn't until after i had the reservation that I read the reviews here. I doubt that I would stay at this hotel again. The rooms are pretty funky. The bathroom was very small with no bath and the heater in the room was inadequate. Other reviews had complained of stains on the carpet I found that to be true. The closets were very tiny but adequate for short stays. The bed was very comfortable but as other reviews had said the bottom sheet were not fitted and did not fit well.
The minibar was a joke. The rooms had been refurbished very cheaply, infact the masking tape was still on the dressers that had been painted over. They also charge $6 per night to park in a poorly lighted alley way behind the hotel but they don't tell you that until you check out.
On the plus side it has a great location. Given the many choices you have in Santa Barbara I would go elsewhere.

Know what you are getting into

My husband and I were very excited about a weekend getaway to Santa Barbara and carefully reviewed hotel web sites to be sure we were choosing a great place. However, upon our arrival we found that the ocean view room we had asked for and told we were getting must be reserved several months in advance. Infact, we were given a first floor room with a "coastal" view. The view was actually of the line of cars parked in front of the beach with no water in sight. Secondly, The walls were so thin that as soon as we arrived we could hear the televisions from neighboring rooms and an entire conversation between a family. Within twenty minutes of our arrival I notified the manager of our dismay. I have to say that the staff was beyond cordial and we were released from any payment or cancellation fee and we left to stay at another hotel. The grounds are peaceful and the location is great, but a little pricey for what you actually get. If location is your greatest priority than this is a place to consider. However,if the view is what you are after then look elsewhere. Note that the patios and balconies are not private at all. Also, the rooms are very close together so even if you did want to sit on your balcony or patio you would not be in prviate location. All in all, the manager and support staff were friendly. I did feel though that we were misled. I am pleased with how they handled the situation and this place just comes down to personal needs.

$250 per night Valentine's Weekend Mistake

As soon as we arrived we realized this was bad. This was the same old hotel with a different name and paint job we stayed at a few years earlier...but for about $85/night back then. This hotel charged us $250/night for a very smelly, small room. My wife and I were very unhappy with what we thought we bought over the internet vs. reality.
Luckly, we were able to cancel and walk down the street a block to a very nice hotel called the West Beach Hotel for much less with more service, etc. Buyer Beware!!

Great Location, Small Room

by TripAdvisor Member mngo2000

Positive: Beautiful grounds, good and helpful staff, nice decoration, VERY comfortable beds, and convenient to all of downtown Santa Barbara.

Negative: Rooms were not soundproof at all, very small rooms.

Suggestions: Pool view rooms are nice but can be loud.

Not a Chic Botique Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member marg1515

Thinking this would be a romantic chic botique for a great weekend away we were proven worng. After reserving the most expensive room with a king bed and ocean view we were given a small room with no firplace, no king bed, and it looked out at a roof not an ocean. We I complained at the front desk the girl was rude and told me that I could have an even smaller roon #265. Why would I want a smaller room with no view? I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It does not have bath robes, morning coffee, large rooms, and the staff is extremely unfriendly.
After living in SB for 5 years this is one of my worst experiences.

Comments