915 Garden Street, Santa Barbara, California, 93101, United States

Spanish Garden Inn
Hotels.com Tingo.com Expedia.com

• KathleenWG's Profile Photo

Convenient and charming in downtown Santa Barbara

I haven't stayed here myself but think it's the best in downtown. It's off the main street "State Street" and doesn't get the club and all the nightlife noise. Friends have stayed there and enjoyed it. It isn't a B&B but really an Inn. You are steps away from theater, museums, restaurants and all the downtown nightlife you could want. It's in a safe area and you can't go wrong.

Unique Quality: Beautiful Moorish/Spanish architecture in the historic area of downtown.

More about Inn Of The Spanish Garden

Truly a beautiful hotel!

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in January. I can be pretty tough on rating hotels, but this place does not disappoint. Candles, rose petals, chilled wine, fireplace - all in a beautiful mission-style quiet room. Breakfast was pretty good, especially the made-to-order cappacinos - all included in the room rate. There is also a nice firepit in the courtyard at night, along with candlelit tables.
Convenient as well - only three blocks to the middle of State Street.
Considering the prices of other hotels, this is a great value. I don't think I would bring little kids here, though. It's more set up for a romantic get-a-way. Take them to one of the more motel-style places along the beach.

Almost Perfect

Yes I have stayed at Bacara and find "it" awful and overpriced; Biltmore is overcrowded and old; Doubletree is too corporate. Own Bentley and have black card and I prefer"Inn of the Spanish Garden"

This hotel is GREAT! Probably the best small hotel in Santa Barbara.
The rooms were decorated great and fitted to almost world class standards.

The service was 3.5 stars on a world class level but if you want an extremely classy hotel and prefer privacy this is your place.

We stayed in best room which has views of Ocean and mountain and 2 patios WOW (for the price)!!

Peace and Tranquility

by TripAdvisor Member hutchewyks

We've just returned from Santa Barbara and we suggest putting the Inn of the Spanish Garden at the top of your list of places to stay. The setting is quiet, upscale, very tastefully executed. Only a few blocks from State Street and all of the shops and historic sites, the inn is very close to the historic heart of the city, yet far enough to provide a peaceful haven. Restaurants are within a few minutes' walk and the beach is only 10 minutes away. You can literally keep your car parked in the free underground parking garage and casually stroll most everywhere. Our room, with floor-to-ceiling glass doors, opened onto a spacious balcony, overlooked the sparkling pool, while being shielded by tropical foliage. Amenities included a marble bathroom with a soaking tub and separate shower, a sitting area with cable TV, free high-speed internet connection, a most comfortable bed with Frette linens and a gas fireplace. It was so beautiful, we could have stayed and relaxed for a month. The rate includes breakfast, which is in the light-filled breakfast room or out in the courtyard, beside the tiled fountain. Not your ordinary continental breakfast, it includes fresh fruit, bagels, cereals, fresh baked quiches, juices and coffees. The staff is polite, gracious and most helpful. They are eager to please and will respond promptly to any request. If it sounds like we loved this place, you're right. We had thought about staying beachside, but once we got into town, we discovered that most all of those accommodations are nothing but glorified motels, with a very busy street separating them from the beach. We were thrilled that we had decided on the Inn of the Spanish Garden.

Downtown & Quiet

by TripAdvisor Member TTMedel

My husband and I received a gift certificate to the Inn of the Spanish Garden and stayed there New Year's Eve. The hotel's proximity to the downtown Santa Barbara area makes this property a real find. More importantly, the hotel is pure luxury and elegance. Our room, with its canopied bed, fireplace, large tub and french press coffee maker, was really spacious and cozy at the same time. The complimentary breakfast was absolutely delicious and plentiful. The Molton Brown bath products are perhaps one of the best amenities I've yet to see in a hotel. We just loved being able to walk to our favorite restaurants and nightspots in the SB downtown area as well as walking to the Paseo Nuevo Shops. I recommend this hotel wholeheartedly!

I agree with everyone else :)

by TripAdvisor Member UK-CB4

Lovely, huge rooms, unassuming elegance, delightful little touches, great overall ambiance, relaxed helpful staff (no fake enthusiasm and meaningless cliches), great location, and about the best value for money I've ever come across in the USA. We just felt like we'd known the place for years. It was reminiscent of some of the first rate Paradores we've stayed at in Spain.

The contrast to the Marriott resort at Rancho Mirage where we stayed a few days earlier could not have been more extreme (Marriott's idea of luxury is a huge plaque on your door that screams "Luxury Suite"! How tacky can you get?)

On thing that attracted us was the reviewer here on TripAdvisor who said the staff had loaned them a laptop for Internet access. We told the receptionist that we needed to get online for a few minutes to do an online check-in with BA for our flight home (being keen to secure good seats) - they simply invited me to use the PC in the office!

It's like these guys know every page of that great book "It's not my department" by the late great Peter Glen, consumer advocate par excellance. Glen defines great service as "Giving the customer why he wants, when he wants - and then getting out of the way!" These folks do that superbly well.

Expensive, but worth it...

We were unsure what to expect before we came to the hotel as this was the most expensive place that we stayed in on our entire trip (and we stayed in some pretty good places). The hotel didn't dissapoint, the rooms were imaculate and the bathroom was huge. I suppose that the free parking, free internet access and inclusive breakfast (that no other hotel that we stayed in offered) made up for the high price. The only thing that I will say was that at times it did feel a little sterile and cold there - somehow not very cosy, but maybe that was just us!

Almost perfect

by TripAdvisor Member twoworlds

This Inn hits the mark entirely. I prefer smaller, gracious hotels and that's what Inn of the Spanish Garden is. I agree with one of the other reviewers that the service is wonderful, not overbearing or smarmy. The overall ambience is quiet, low key, but luxurious. The rooms are lovely, and I had a gorgeous high walled courtyard with fragrant vines to enjoy. The complimentary breakfast was very good, no stale pastries and reconstitued orange juice here. There was actually good granola, a selection of fruit, and espresso drinks on request. They also won me over with the warm chocolate cookies on arrival!

My one complaint wouldn't stop me coming back. I thought the lounge/bar area around the fireplace was too small - only 4 people can sit there.

I'll definitely stay here again - the Inn at Spanish Garden delivers what you'd expect for the price.

Very nice - but overpriced...

Most of the previous reviews were very positive about the Inn, and based on them, we booked a three-day stay there in May.

This is a 2-year old hotel-inn with about 22 rooms. The major pluses include the lobby, fountain courtyard with tables for breakfast or drinks and generally, the rooms.

We stayed in Room 11 - it's a queen double that was priced between $305 and $325 (weekdays/weekend). It's on the 2nd floor - no elevator (none needed, really). . There was a gas fireplace (nice), bed, desk, easy chair and non-matching ottoman, armoire with TV/VCR. Looked out over the pool. The bathroom is around the corner. Sink and deep tub area have no door and there's a large skylight which is very attractive during the day - but because there's no door, be prepared to get a lot of light early in the AM! Nice, tiled shower and water closet.

Atmosphere is refined with very personal but not overbearing service. No one had a hand out for a tip. Included breakfast was adequate - quiche or fritatta, bagels, make-your-own toast, OJ, coffee and free custom coffees (espressos). There's a cocktail hour that seemed like a good idea. But for this price, they should provide a few free glasses of wine. Courtyard is beautiful with lots of flowers everywhere - very attractive and European looking. However, where were the other guests? They told us they were sold out but we rarely saw other guests, which is a plus or minus depending on your view.

Turn-down service - yes. Bedside chocolates - yes.
Free loan of fairly current VCR tapes - yes. Free popcorn to order with movie - yes!

Problems: The pool area is very small with only about 6 lounges, but not an issue for us because the pool was little used by guests. The water was cooler than I would have liked (guess it was heated) and pool is only 3.5 ft deep - not a problem for me.

BUT the pool pump and filter are RIGHT THERE - and very noisy and distracting. Dissuaded us from hanging out there, even though that had been in our previsit plans. Also, the room furniture is of only adequate quality. The drawers wouldn't open very well on the armoire so it was hard to put clothes away. Also, vanity top in bathroom is cultured marble or plastic. For the price, I would have expected granite.

Major Plus - 3 short blocks to State St. with restaurants and entertainment. I don't know of another nice place this close (although there may be).

Overall - I'd stay again but it's worth about $200-225 IMO. I wouldn't go back for $300 or more.

Amazing

With all the glamorous hotels here in Beverly Hills, Bel Air, and Hollywood, Inn of the Spanish Gardens was beyond compare. I've stayed at a few hotels in Santa Barbara as well. This charming and friendly hotel is somewhere I'll go again and again. The staff was extra friendly. The complimentary breakfast was superb. The rooms were beautiful. I was able to take a tour of unoccupied rooms, only because I checked in early (they were all booked.) Each room was had a special touch. I have already given many friends and clients the recommendation of staying at this superlative inn.

Comments