James House Santa Barbara

1632 Chapala Street, Santa Barbara, California, 93101, United States

More about James House Santa Barbara

Wonderful time at the James House

by TripAdvisor Member oneformoz

My fiancé and I stayed at the James House during the weekend of our wedding. It was the perfect place. It is a very romantic and intimate place. The rooms are tastefully done. They are not over-the-top with the typical bed and breakfast decor. We stayed in the Garden room, which is very nice and cozy. It is located near the back of the house and it has its own private patio. All this gives the room a more private feel, which we enjoyed.

Both the host, Mitch, and hostess, Marie, are great. They put in so much effort to make sure your stay is especially comfortable. Marie even came to our rescue when we locked our room key inside the room. It was our wedding night and we had just gotten back from the reception...it was past midnight!! When we got to the front door of our room, we realized we didn't have the key to get in. Torn about what to do, we decided to call Marie. She came down to unlock the door. We were embarrassed and felt really bad for likely waking her up, but also very thankful. She saved the night for us!!! Thank you, again, Marie.

As the above story demonstates, the hosts of this bed and breakfast really care that their guests have a wonderful stay while there. I definitely recommend the James House and look forward to staying there again.

We were treated like Royalty

by TripAdvisor Member GuitarPlayerBP

It was our 29th wedding anniversary and I wanted to take my wife some place a little different than a resort or hotel so I googled Bed & Breakfast's in Santa Barbara and came up with James House. After looking through photos of the rooms I called and spoke with Marie. She was very sweet and accommodating and I felt like we would be taken well care of. I was right, we were treated like ROYALTY!

We stayed in the Garden room which is small but very comfortable, smells good and is clean. After our first night there and while at a breakfast, cooked and served to us in the front room (delicious), it appears that cleaning fairies came and cleaned our room, making the bed, tiding up and hanging clean towels. It was a pleasant surprise to have it done so quickly and early.

Marie made us feel absolutely welcome and took very good care of us. When I told her that my wife and I would be leaving early the next day and would not be there for breakfast, she got up early, made breakfast just for us and served us. It was wonderful.

I highly recommend James House.

Not impressed

by TripAdvisor Member AKK_7

We were very disappointed with our stay at Jame's House. We booked it because of all the great reviews on this site. The room was OK and the location was good. But it was very overpriced for what it had to offer. The service was poor for this level of accomodation. The innkeeper was not very accomodating for individuals. For example, breakfast is at set times - very late for most people (9 am and 9:30 am), and when requested an earlier breakfast, there was attitude. The next day, we just decided to eat breakfast out - not worth the attitude and hassle. The times should be set by the guests NOT the other way around - especially at such a small and expensive place! The room smelled sickly sweet of roses - my husband said it reminded him of a funeral home. We will definitely not return there and wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Perfect setting for romantic getaway!

by TripAdvisor Member rnsroy

We recently went to the James Inn B & B in Santa Barbara, California to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Having never been to a B & B before, we weren't sure what to expect. First of all, the property is a gorgeous Victorian era home built in the 1890's and that in itself was an incredible experience! The owners, Marie and Mitch, made us feel right at home and were eager to provide information about the surrounding area and attractions as well as directions and maps. Marie is a fabulous cook and absolutely spoiled us rotten with her incredible breakfasts served hearthside by a cozy fire. In addition, a social is held each night at 5:00 p.m., with yummy hors devours and wine. Having mentioned we weren't fond of wine, Marie brought us my husband's favorite beer to enjoy instead (did I mention spoiled?). We had a beautiful room with a large private bathroom and balcony which overlooked the neighborhood. The property is located near the downtown area shops on the infamous State Street. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and felt so welcome and at home!

We loved it

by TripAdvisor Member TopTravelSanDiego

Our experience at James House was beyond expectations in many ways. The location is within walking distance to all the restaurants and shops on State Street. Our room was beyond clean, very large, and super comfortable with a large bathroom and spa tub. Every room has its own bathroom, television, and DVD player (there is a small DVD/book library to share). And there’s off street parking in the back of the property. Marie is the best host you can imagine. Not only is she a great cook, serving delicious breakfast every morning and appetizers and wine in the afternoons, but she also knows nearly all restaurants in Santa Barbara and surrounding areas. Just ask her for a recommendation and you'll see! In short, we had a wonderful relaxing stay and will definitely recommend this place to our friends as well as stay here next time we visit. Thx Marie, you are doing everything right!!!

Wonderful B&B Experience

by TripAdvisor Member sheri55

We stayed at the James House for our 25th Anniversary trip and found it to be perfect! The home itself is beautiful and immaculate. Our room was lovely. Light, airy and comfortable with a large bathroom. The home is located withing walking distance to State Street where you will fine tons of shops and restaurants.
The breakfasts were delicious and generous plus the host provided a sumptious snack with wine each evening.
The owners Marie and Mitch are very, very friendly and informative. Just a delight. Marie helped my husband set up our jeep wine tour which turned out to be great fun.
We have stayed in many B&B's across the country and this was definitely one of our best experiences.

Great Stay at James House

by TripAdvisor Member SDShawn

My new bride and I just got back from Santa Barbara and our three night stay at the James House. I had researched the property here on Trip Advisor and it was even better than we had hoped.

First off, Marie was great....Sweet, tremendously attentive, and very knowledgable about the area. Breakfast in the morning and afternoon appetizers were always tasty. Marie even made a cold plate for us and left it in our room's refrigerator when she knew we wouldn't be back for the normal "social".

Overall, we had a wonderful time and would reccomend the James House to anyone.

Anniversary Stay

by TripAdvisor Member gerryMa

In our 40th wedding anniversary year one trip we wanted to take was the PCH from LA to SF. We had the good fortune to select a weekend stay in Santa Barbara at the James House Inn as we drove up the coast. Marie & Mitch were great hosts, took great care to give us detailed recommendations for dining, sites to visit and general travel tips, even got a bottle of very nice champagne to help us celebrate our anniversary!
Great location, wonderful breakfasts and accomodations!

Great B&B

by TripAdvisor Member allicat36

What a fantastic little Bed and Breakfast! This was our first experience at a B&B and I have to say it won't be our last. James House was very clean and quiet, in a great location downtown and breakfast was terrific. Maire was very accomodating and quite helpful during our weekend stay. We will be back for sure.

Excellent Location, Great Food

by TripAdvisor Member Obscurata

We stayed at the James House for our anniversary weekend in late October, 2007. The property itself was beautiful, the company convivial and the food was outstanding. The location is just past the end of the main shopping district, and we found it quite convenient to the places we planned to visit.

The afternoon social is not to be missed, as it's a pleasant way to get to know your fellow guests and the food is quite substantial, to the point that the two other couples present during our stay aborted their dinner plans because they were happily content.

Breakfast was also quite excellent, and we strongly recommend availing yourself of the opportunity.

Overall, this was certainly one of the nicest weekend stays we've had and we strongly recommend it.

Comments