Old Yacht Club Inn

431 Corona Del Mar Drive, Santa Barbara, California, 93103, United States

AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Poor

• Horrible Experiene

Sad that I can't go into negatives on the stars! What a RIP OFF! The owner is horrible and a liar and a THIEF!
    I also thought that I was getting a Screamin Deal when I purchased my $139.00 package. To those before me who are frustrated that they weren't able to get your reservation, BE GLAD and call Screaming Deal and GET YOUR MONEY BACK!
    I checked in on Wednesday only to find that there was a charge that SHE HAD ALREADY TAKEN ON MY CREDIT CARD for $288.00! WHAT??? I already paid my $139 and now she wants to charge me again??? When I made the reservation she said that she would charge my card and then give me a credit back for the difference.
    I booked my room on June 9th and on July 8th received an e-mail from the so called "innkeeper" stating "we wanted to let you know we upgraded you to our Santa Rosa Suite for your upcoming stay" THAT was it, When I arrived, I was told that there was an additional $49.00 per night for the upgrade.... I had not requested!
    The girl that checked me in said that their policy was that they would charge the full amount of the room and give us the discount of the $139.00, excuse me??? I really thought I had already paid for the room. This owner is deceptive and unethical. DO NOT STAY HERE, you will absolutely be RIPPED OFF!

• will never return

My husband and I regretted our stay at this property. Our room was tacky. The antiques needed to be replaced, having outlived their attractiveness. Nothing lasts forever. It is almost as if the innkeeper thinks that because her furnishings are antiques, she doesn't need to replace them when they have become worn out. The bathroom was also in desperate need of remodeling, and the breakfasts were o.k., not gourmet as their website states. Other bed and breakfasts that serve gourmet breakfasts offer such items as Champagne-Poached Egg with portobello mushroom and smoked salmon, Egg on a Cloud with hollandaise sauce, and Croissant French Toast topped with sweetened balsamic strawberries, toasted walnuts and Grand Marnier cream. The Old Yacht Club's food pales in comparison. In addition, the wine/ cheese during the happy hour was cheap, the hostess (Elaine?) wasn't particularly friendly or welcoming, the bicycles were rusted out, the cancellation policy is particularly punitive, and the prices of the rooms were ridiculously high for the dumpy nature of the place. Needless to stay, we will never return.

More about Old Yacht Club Inn

Very Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member violinplayer

My husband and I stayed at the Old Yacht Club Inn in July and were very disappointed. Our room was musty and that was the main thing that bothered me. I was expecting a much nicer and updated inn because the web site made it look very inviting. We also didn't know it was so close to the train tracks so that was annoying. I should have read the reviews on this site before I booked it. Next time I will stay elsewhere.

Terrible, terrible, terrible...

by TripAdvisor Member arennaz

Don't do it. Don't even think of staying here. It feels like you're staying over at someone else's grandmother's house. The entire place creaks and don't even get me started about the plumbing. This house is due for demolition any day now. The breakfasts were okay. Thats probably the only thing that was decent at this run-down bed & breakfast. The walls are paper thin, the location is good - very close to the beach, there is no A/C, TV, radio or any other item that was invented in the last 100 years. They do have bikes (old, junky bikes) that you can check out and ride to State street (about a 4 mile bike ride). Overall, this place is totally overpriced and the inn itself is old and poorly maintained. We even got into an arguement with the innkeeper because he didn't want to honor a gift certificate that he stated he would accept.

Perfect Romantic Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member Breepea

A home away from home. Upon arrival, we were greated with a warm and friendly staff and freshly baked chocolate chip cookies! My husband and I looked forward to the lovely wine social each evening. There is a large deck out front where we would drink our wine and observe the passer bys. The house was very warm and cozy. We enjoyed relaxing next to the fireplace while playing games, reading books (there's quite a selection) and socializing w/ the other guests. At night, we took a romantic stroll along the beach and ate dinner at a nearby restaurant. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was tastefully decorated with antiques and nautical decor. The breakfasts were delicious! We especially loved the soufle and cinnamon french toast. We will definitely reccommend this B&B to our friends and family!

Overpriced for an average place, misleading website

by TripAdvisor Member KennySeattle

Paid $199 for the Portofino room on 12/28.

My wife and I usually check trip advisor before booking a place. This week we made a last minute trip to Santa Barbara, and in our haste to book a place the day before our stay we neglected to check the reviews here. We won't make that mistake again. As other reviewers have indicated, the website is a sham. I don't know who rated them one of the top 15 B&Bs in the country, but I'd be surprised if they are even on of the top 15 B&Bs in the Santa Barbara vicinity.

The house is cute, though right next door to a Motel 6 and a few other neon-signage motel-types. It's right near the Amtrak line, so you hear train whistles throughout the evening and night. The rooms and bed are decent, though nothing special. The bathrooms are teensy, with the half-sized stall shower door still hitting the comode. Perhaps others would find this "charm", but I've often had bigger bathrooms in Europe and this is by far the smallest bathroom we've ever had in the states. Walls are very thin -- we could hear footsteps as well as activity in neighbors quarters.

Breakfast was good (cinnamon french toast with bananas and crushed walnuts). Service was disappointing. Our evening welcome was warm, but the morning staff were very cold. We had planned on borrowing a bike (which is offered in bold as one of the perks on their website) to take a loop from the hotel to downtown Santa Barbara and back (about 3 hours). When we asked to borrow a bike we were informed that "other guests may need them and since we checked out we couldn't use them". Nevermind that no one was using any of the multitude of chained up bikes, or that we had paid through the nose for a marginal room.

Overall I would not visit the Old Yacht Club Inn again in the future, and I will also dissuade any of my friends from doing so as well.

Love this Homey Little B&B

by TripAdvisor Member joycej

We loved the location and felt like we were staying at a family home in a lovely little beach neighborhood. This property is so charming. Not your typical sterile motel furnishings. Lots of bang for your buck, especially in the high real estate Santa Barbara area. My husband had surprised me with one of the Inns gourmet gift baskets and bouquet of flowers which were ready in my room when I arrived. Romantic card and all! We headed down for the wine social and out to dinner. Breakfast was splendid! Simple beach cruisers were provided and we cruised the rest of the morning along the ocean to the pier and back to the bird refuge. Just a lovely, relaxing weekend. Kind, thoughtful Innkeepers and warm hospitality! We will definately be back.

Will definitely return

by TripAdvisor Member phil&dot

Upon arrival, chilled and thoroughly fatigued. we were greeted with a hot fire, freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, and a glass of wine! Bed very comfortable. Room small but price in keeping with size and area. Breakfast outstanding; coffee good; chili cheese omelet, poached pears, homemade salsa and granola!

Close to beach and 25 cent shuttle to downtown. Bicycles available though we brought our own from railroad station one mile away.

Now, the down side. The trap under sink in bathroom needs to be cleaned out and the maids need to clean old soap from shower.

Rustic B&B near the ocean

by TripAdvisor Member JandMH

The innkeeper (Lucierno) greeted us very warmly once we arrived. He was very courteous and even recommended a great little restaurant (Los Arroyos) for dinner that we loved. Overall the service was excellent. The breakfasts were very good and served very promptly once we sat down. We enjoyed potato and onion omelettes one day and cinnamon swirled french toast with bananas the next. All were served with apples, yogurt and granola. The location is great (right near the beach), however the train is noisy. It passed by at least 4 times our first night and 3 times our second. I do think that anywhere you stay near the beach will have this problem. So if you don't like the thought of a train passing by consistently, I would recommend staying closer to town. I also recommend taking the bikes on the nearby bike paths. You can view the beach, lagoon and part of the zoo from it. We were dissapointed in the condition of the room. Granted, it is near the beach, so the air is damp, but the mildew smell was very strong and caused some allergies. They had an ionic air cleaner, but it didn't do much. Our bathroom door didn't shut all the way which was pretty annoying. We stayed in the Belle Caruso room in the Hitchcock house and it looked just like it did on the website. I would say I'd stay here for the historical charm and location, but it could definitely use some fine tuning to be on par with the other B&B's in Santa Barbara.

Would not recommend to anyone...

by TripAdvisor Member LosAngelesTripGoer

I stayed at this Bed and Breakfast in June. Upon arriving, it looked like a cute place. The room was fine and the location was great. BUT....there was one HUGE problem. The service was horrendous. Literally, I have never been treated with such terrible customer service before. The employees were rude, combative, and were even speaking about their guests in the next room in a manner that was audible to the guests themselves (the ones they were speaking about). I would steer clear of this hotel at all costs....

Avoid, avoid, avoid

by TripAdvisor Member UChicago74

This is an overpriced, dreary, and dirty B&B with little to recommend it. It consists of two buidings, the main art & and crafts style home and the upper floor of the neighboring house. The latter has several rooms that have been remodeled recently and are ok but are nothing exceptional. The main building consists of a single front room, which serves as the dining room and lving area. It is furnished with unexeptional bric a brac, having vague nautical motifs. As for the guest rooms, ours was notable for its filthy red carpeting, dreary lowgrade furniture, and a bathroom that was literally carved out of a closet. The overall experience was like staying with your elderly and slightly incontinent aunt.

The food was mediocre, and the wine and cheese laughable (prezels and supermarket cheddar).

As noted by other reviewers, our sleep was disrupted by trains passing nearby that blew their whistles.

In short, this is a lousy place to stay with ridiculous pricing and a punitive cancellation policy. Notwithstanding the latter, we left a day early.

Comments