The Franciscan Inn

109 Bath Street, Santa Barbara, California, 93101, United States
Travelocity

More about The Franciscan Inn

Won't go back

A real disappointment. We had a "suite", no air conditioning (they supplied a fan), the carpet was filthy (if you walked barefoot, feet were black!). I agree with another reviewer.....the free breakfast was disappointing- "would you like a croissant OR a maple bar". That was it! We complained about the floors, but did not get much of a response. Would not stay here again.

good value for an expensive city

had a king no smoking room which was very clean and the bed was actually pretty comfortable. enjoyed the breakfast offerings even though you could only have either a croissant or muffin, choice of juice. they had apples and coffee also. made use of the laundry room which was very convenient. the only thing they can improve on is the quality of the towels - they were scratchy and threadbare. the bath soap is too perfumy, but I didn't really care as I always bring my own stuff. prices were very reasonable for the santa barbara area. would stay here again.

great place, met all my needs

by TripAdvisor Member pepperanella

I want to post my review beacause I'd almost cancelled my reservation after reading some negative reviews here. Am I glad that I kept our reservation! The hotel was clean, pleasant, quiet (except for the occassional train whistle that is heard throughout Santa Barbara), and in an excellent location for beach access and catching the trolly up to State street shopping. There is indeed an elderly lady (who is a bit abrupt in her speaking style) stationed at the breakfast area but if you take more than 30 seconds to speak with her you will find that she is actually quite nice and more than accomodating. We had a large group staying and she gave us whatever we wanted (food wise). Prices in SB are riduculously high so this was a relative bargain. I'll be back with my family, including young children. Hints: the jacuzzi seems tepid at first but heats up quickly (20 min) after you turn the timer on. Also, the complex is fairly large, you may want to request an interior room to avoid possible street noise. Our upstairs, interior unit was quiet.

Not the best

by TripAdvisor Member yugesiw

Decor is pretty out of date, the room was not very big and the breakfast really wasn't up to much. The location is not fantastic either compared to other places in Santa Barbara and we would stay elsewhere next time, but I have stayed in a lot worse.

Great Value in Santa Barbara

by TripAdvisor Member happycamper004

I have stayed in Santa Barbara numerous times, as our son lives there. My husband and I have stayed at pricier hotels, and are fed up with paying the prices.
This time, I tried the Franciscan based on the price, which was excellent.
Of course, this was no Hotel Santa Barbara, but for the price, it was superior. The room is basic, but inviting, and very clean. The hotel staff was delightful, and I loved the fact that I could park right outside my room, and not pay a valet to retrieve my car each time I wanted it.
The noise does carry a bit room to room, but for the money I saved, that was OK. Also, I agree with other reviewers, that I would prefer to serve my own continental breakfast, but that was minor.
I will return to the Franciscan Inn from now on, as long as the price stays where it is, and nothing changes...I left VERY happy, and with some money in my pocket!

affordable, simple rooms and great service

My friends and I went to Santa Barbara for a "girls weekend" and were looking for somewhere affordable but still decent for our stay. The Franciscan Inn fit the bill very nicely. The inn itself seemed a bit like a motel and had simple,clean rooms but the service was what made this place a standout. They were more than accomodating with the (very generous) continental breakfast after we slept in more than once - which we really appreciated. The front desk was also very helpful in helping us figure out what was where as none of were familiar with Santa Barbara. And cookies every afternoon was a nice touch. (Between that and the apples & pb from breakfast we were set for snacks as well as breakfast.) The place also had a small hot tub and pool, although the weather was not warm enough for us to enjoy the pool. Another big plus was that they had wireless. If we had to pick out a downside, it would have to be that the hot tub closed a bit too early for us night owls and in our first room (but not the second) the water pressure in the shower wasn't great. Overall, we found this place to be a good value for the money.

Nice location

by TripAdvisor Member Cinnamoncyndi

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights. The room had a little kitchenette that was nice. The room faced a pretty busy street and was a bit noisey. We could hear the people talking in the other room next to ours so the walls are thin.
The location is very convieniet, and close to everything. The staff was great and accomodating. We would probably return to this hotel and stay, we liked it.

Great Value, Wonderful Cookies, Clean Accomodations

My wife and I stayed at the Franciscan Inn en route from San Francisco to San Diego. After experiencing the wonderful accomodations and friendly staff, we decided to extend our visit. When one thinks of Santa Barbara, one usually sees high priced hotels. Not here...this inn gives the traveler great value. Each day, mid-afternoon, home-baked cookies are available to guests in the office lobby. If you seek reasonable rates, clean rooms and friendly people, you've found the place.

Great little vacation spot

Comfortable and very clean accommodations, great location, helpful and interesting staff, generous continental breakfast, and small but well maintained pool. Highly recommended.

Delightful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Bems

We stayed for two nights at the Franciscan Inn on our way from LA to San Francisco. The hotel is simple but clean and excellent value and the staff were delightful (our teenage sons were most impressed they knew of our local football team back in the UK!). It was an easy walk to the waterfront and some excellent restaurants which the staff recommended to us. We couldn't recommend this more highly.

Comments