The Glenborough Bed & Breakfast

1327 Bath Street, Formerly Glenborough Inn, Santa Barbara, California, 93101, United States

A White Jasmine Inn
Booking.com Travelocity Tingo.com

• keida84's Profile Photo

A Great Hide-A-Way Downtown Santa Barbara

For Valentine's Day we headed up the coast to The Glenborough Inn Bed & Breakfast. Built in the "Craftsman" style, this charming B & B was delightful.

We stayed in the "La Grande Suite." It consisted of a parlour with a fireplace, and the bedroom with yet another fireplace and a four poster bed.

This is a romantic get away, although there is a suite on the properties that can accomodate a family or several people traveling together. The other rooms and suites were very pretty and ranged in price from $134.00 to $319.00 USD.

This B & B is perfect for those people who avoid going to them because of early morning breakfast with other guests. Breakfast is served in the privacy of your room! Pick a time, put on your spa robes and right on time a delicious breakfast is at your door. But for those who wish to, you can choose communal dining, I just wouldn't expect too many guests.

One note though, several of the lamps did not have working bulbs and the seal around the window air conditioning unit leaked cold air. These are little things I think should have been taken care of, especially given the cost of the room.

Unique Quality: The very fact that this B & B is spread out over Bath Street is great. Our suite was actually down the street from the main house, this gave us a wonderful sense of seclusion.

We had a coffepot, refrigerator, coffee, tea and hot chocolate stocked in our room. Breakfast was delivered directly to our room at the time we specified. The telephone in the room provided free local calls so we were able to access the internet for no charge (we used our dial up service).

The bathrobes were made from microfiber and were terry-cloth lined; light weight yet very warm. This was needed because we had to walk down the street (2 doors) to the main house to use the jacuzzi.

We took a jacuzzi under the stars with the lovely fragrance of night blooming jasmine in the air. The jacuzzi was enclosed behind a redwood fence for privacy. I liked the fact that there was a signup sheet for its use so there were no conflicts.

All in all the stay was relaxing and the setting quite charming. The inn does offer discounted room rates Sunday through Thursday provided there are no holidays or speical events booked.

Directions: Exit Carrillo from the 101 freeway, head East to Bath Street, head North. The Inn is on the left hand side between Victoria and Sola

More about The Glenborough Bed & Breakfast

Quaint and refreshing

We stayed in the La Casa Suite at the Glenborough Inn and were thrilled with the accomodations, location and breakfast.

This particular unit is a stand alone 2 bedroom unit with a lovely front porch and garden. Within walking distance to downtown Santa Barbara (as parking can be difficult), it is a great location.

The hosts are friendly, the food is fabulous. We are going back this summer!!!

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member jgreen1024

My wife and I stayed in The Craftsman the weekend of July 23. We really liked this place. The room was just the right size, and came with a refrigerator, private hottub, TV with cable, a coffee maker, an excellent ceiling fan, and a phone. The bed was amazingly comfortable. I had to check out the mattress, and was surprised to find that it was two pieces of foam on top of a box spring - loved it, and realized that I don't need to spend $1000 for a nice mattress to find something comfortable. :) John the innkeeper was quite friendly. The rest of the staff didn't say much to us - that's fine, as we came to see Santa Barbara rather than chat with the inn staff. Breakfast was good, though low carb it was definitely not. First day was a baked pastry (like the kind you get in the Pillsbury can) with some jam baked in, an egg dish that was a little Southwestern in style, and a fruit salad - tasty. Day 2 breakfast was a croissant with apples and cinnamon, and some fresh fruit. Breakfast was delivered to our room each day in a basket - this was exactly what we wanted, as it let us set our own schedule. No criticisms - we had a great weekend.

Glenborough Inn is an absolutely wonderful get away

We wanted a nice get away for our anniversary weekend. The Glenborough Inn was just wonderful. It is a delightful older home that has been renovated. The inn keepers were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed sitting in the parlor with afternoon wine and goodies having an enjoyable conversation with a couple visiting from Stockholm. I get suspicious when a meal is advertised as "gourmet". We had our breakfast in a gazebo in their very pleasant back yard and the meal was wonderful. The Inn is located about 4 blocks from State Street which is the main restaurant and shopping steet in Santa Barbara. We will definitely go back to the Glenborough Inn.

Perfectly Charming

My boyfriend and I just returned from a trip up the coast of California, and this was by far the best place we stayed. The pictures on the Web site really don't do it justice. We stayed in the Country Room and found it to be beautifully decorated and immaculately clean. The room is definitely on the small side, but it was one of the least expensive rooms, so I'm sure others are larger. The innkeepers definitely added all those extra touches that make a place memorable.

There's no parking lot, but we found there was ample parking on the street. The innkeepers are friendly but professional. They offered us several suggestions on places to visit and restaurants in the area.

The inn is located in a residential area within walking distance of State Street. We were only there one night, but it seemed to be a very safe and quiet neighborhood.

My favorite feature was the decor. There were so many small touches which made our room so beautiful and unique. I really can't say enough good things about this place!

A Guy's perspective of a B&B

My girlfriend surprised me with a romantic get-away to Santa Barbara for my 30th birthday. We arrived at the Glenborough Inn (aka White Jasmine) in the afternoon after a fabulous train ride. The Inn is just a few minutes from the Amtrak train station ($20 cab ride, 10 minutes). We were fortunate to stay in the "Hideaway" room, which is tucked away on the side of one of the houses the Inn owns. The room was perfect! It had a gas fireplace, and a large whirlpool bathtub. The bed was done up perfectly with a cloth canopy above it! We had the option of reserving a private jacuzzi in 30 minute blocks if we so desired, but with all shopping and sightseeing, there was little time for going in the jacuzzi. Breakfast in the morning was fabulous because they left a picnick basket at our front door with warm breakfast items and all the necessary utensils. We took the basket outside to the patio furniture set up and had ourselves a little breakfast moment. Quite relaxing and enjoyable and a great way to start our days. The Inn keeper was extremely friendly and staff helpful when needed. This place is all about privacy and letting you have your peace and quiet. The Inn is located just a few blocks from State street, where there are many great restaurants and shops. This was my first time in Santa Barbara and also staying at a B&B. I left this place with a huge smile on my face and many wonderful memories with my girlfriend. We are already planning another trip soon!

Disappointing

We are not novices at B & B's, and were disappointed to find that, although the pictures and reviews on the web sounded inviting, we were greeted by a dark, small and cold parlor, overly adorned with artificial flowers and an unidentifiable, overwhelming botanical scent. The rooms were cold as well, with apparently no central heat. Gas fireplaces were supposed to take up the slack.

We found that the proprietor not living on the premises was a disadvantage in several ways, especially when a fuse blew. Also, when asked about attractions and restaurants in Santa Barbara, he always prefaced his comments with "I'm from New York" even though he said he has been in Santa Barbara for 7 years. He was really not helpful at all.

Breakfast, which was adequate, reasonably healthy and well-prepared, showed up at the designated time. However, since it is delivered to the room, one has to pre-select a time - 8:30 was the earliest time available, meaning that, if one wanted breakfast, one could not start one's day early. Also, when we asked for a different breakfast time on the second morning, we encountered resistance and were told that normally, once you choose a time, that is your time for your entire stay. We found this to be a rather inhospitable attitude.

On the other hand, the bed was clean and comfortable, and the shower was hot with good water pressure.

Pleasant stay

by TripAdvisor Member Gnome2Travel

While traveling on business I found this inn to be comfortable and quiet. Continental breakfast was provided in a take out bag because breakfast could not be served before 8:30 a.m. This was not a problem for me because it turned out to be convenient enough. The only thing that was a bit unnerving was that the proprietor did not reside in the inn. If anything were to go wrong between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m., it seemed like there was no one to call or go to for help.

A Great Romantic Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member babo1098

My husband and I stayed for a weekend in January and has a great time. John, the GM of the inn, was very personable. He gave us information about Santa Barbara along with some brochures. He also walked us to our room and informed us what extras we had in our room and how they worked.

We stayed in the Castaway. The pictures on the website doesn't do it justice because the room is very spacious with a fireplace,a huge bathroom with a two-person jacuzzi, mini-fridge and a coffee maker. You just don't get that feel from the pictures but the room is a nice size. The bed is very comfy, too. It was quite chilling initially when we entered the room. But soon figured-out one of the windows was cracked-open but once we shut it the room was quite cozy with the fireplace going.

The breakfast was very good the two days we stayed and just enough to get you through until lunch. One of the staff brings it right to your door at the time you specify and then goes about their merry way. We never were bothered other than that, which is what we wanted.

This is a great find!! I am very pleased with the inn and will definitely recommend it. It was romantic, quiet and it felt very secluded. The location is also a plus because it is in walking distance to State Street, which is the main attraction of the town.

I would definitely stay here again!!

3rd time we've stayed-- always wonderful

This is our third visit. It's always cute, quaint and cozy. You can't compare a B&B to a hotel-- they are just so different. We stayed in the Wild Rose room this time but have stayed in the Country Room and Vicotrian Suite before-- all were great. I like having a bathtub though so that was the only thing I missed in the Victorian. The Wild Rose and the Victorian have fireplaces though-- which is SOO nice. This place is walking distance to State Street-- eat at Arigato if you can for AMAZING sushi.

Breakfasts are hot and brough to your room at the time you specify (sometimes they are great, sometimes not as much my taste personally, but always made with care it seems). I'm not so much a quiche person-- more of an eggs or pancakes person. They also have really nice robes, etc in the rooms.

Also, take advantage of the private spa and cute garden in the back of the main house.

Cookies in the main room downstairs at night. Overall, this is by far one of the best B&Bs in Santa Barbara and we will be back!

Comments