3714 State Street, Santa Barbara, California, 93105, United States

Official Hotel Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 90% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• Kevross85's Profile Photo

The Sandman Inn

Stayed here in july 2007 and the motel was every thing we needed and more. The rooms were clean and quite spacious. The hotel had a swimming pool as well which wasn't particularly big but it was perfect for cooling down in the sunshine. we stayed in a lot of motels in our time in america and this is one of the best and I would highly reccomend it to others.

Unique Quality: A major plus point of the hotel was the free internet access available in the reception this is a major benefit

More about The Sandman Inn

It made our holiday...

by TripAdvisor Member rolojones

After driving over 300 miles from the north of California my boyfriend and I were ready for a break. The Sandman Inn provided us with just that.

With a poolside room and a bed that could have fit a family of four in, we kicked back for two days and enjoyed the pool and the sunshine.

For the price, the breakfast is good (especially compared to Travelodge which only gives you a slice of muffin!). The rooms were clean and well presented, I would definately recommend it to others.

Reasonable location, Inn could be better.

by TripAdvisor Member Malcky

We booked this accomodation after reading trip advisor reviews. The location is fine as its easy to gain access to all places easily, especially downtown Santa Barber, the pools were very good, breakfast was good, room sizes and contents of the room were good. We had 2 different rooms for 3 nights from the 21/09/04, one room was perfectly fine but the room I was in was next to the staff room so we were woken at 7 am everyday. We also had too endure a coach being parked at the rear of our room one night at 11.30 pm and completely unloading its noisy passengers, and the next morning the coach driver started his coach up at 6,30 am in the morning and left it running until its noisy passengers departed 30 minutes later. My advice would be to ask for a quiet room and not one with the access road behind it. We did speak to the girls behind the reception desk but they did not take alot of notice of our problems, besides this problem we would have given the hotel 4 out 5.

loved it

I stayed at this hotel in September while making a stop on my business trip. The hotel has a pretty good location, quiet, free parking, pool, walking distance from some fast food places and resturant(s), etc. The room and bathroom were great, clean and very nice. I paid around $74 which was not a bad price. The complementary breakfast was okay, except that the inn restaurant looked kinda "abandoned". The only thing that really bothered me was that the hotel was unable (or unwilling) to provide me with any paper reciept/invoice because I paid online through hotel-guides (and not at the hotel), so I was told to obtain any paper from them. Very annoying when you're on a business trip.

A true gem!

The grounds & pool(s) areas are spectacular & impeccable. Location is great, & staff is excellent. Rooms are older but clean & well maintained with amenities such as microwaves & refrigerators.

Good value for Santa Barbara

by TripAdvisor Member aldoreit

After staying in Santa Barbara (the previous weekend) at an Extended Stay facility we were pleasantly surprised at the value we received at the Sandman.
For $30 dollars less we got as big, as clean, and more centrally located room.
Very satisfied

It's still the same as I last remembered it! 4/9/05.

by TripAdvisor Member paradisetreker

It's STILL the same good old memory, as I last remembered it back in 1985... It's still the best bang for yor buck in Santa Barbara. This 50's motel has been well upkept over the years. Kind of brings back memories of my grandma's house decor, but even cooler with the 3 swimming pools and jacuzzi! It's very clean and quiet too! It's perfect for the roadtrip driver... Right off the 101 Frwy State Street exit are the gas stations, supermarket and numerous restaurants on both sides of street till you arrive at the Sandman. There's a bank/atm next to the Sandman and you can walk there. You can even get your car washed from the road grit bugs right across the street from the Sandman. 7-11 is a few blocks further down State street to reload your cooler and across from it is a donut shop. Starbucks is at the outside of the La Cumbre Shopping Plaza... You want more? I always go to Chuck's for dinner which is only 2 blocks away, and if they are too crowded then continue down the opposite direction of State street to visit the rest of the world's cuisines. If you continue down State street by making a right turn you'll end up in the more upscale-ish tourist district of SB. So the $ you saved at the Sandman, you can now blow it here... (Or not.) Traffic in this area is very slow and parking is terrible. Their front desk staff is very young, friendly and knowledgeable of SB. Their continental breakfast far exceeds and is much better than your ordinary average "continental" breakfast definition that one would "normally' get elsewhere. If you want a traditonal old fashioned cooked up breakfast or dinner... get off your lazy butt and drive down State street. There's much to chooze from and there are no traffic excuses. It's still the best deal in SB if you don't mind the 50's interior decor. It sure beats that "Pepper" thing accomodations down the street, and also is great place to stay if you get bumped out of Solvang on a major holiday!

Tropical first-aid for winter escapees on a budget

by TripAdvisor Member Jedipsy

The Sandman motel offered lush Mediterranean plants, quiet, an easy location, a great hot tub and a clean room, all at a good budget price. My friend and I, both single and fifty-ish, were looking for warmth, beaches, and all things southern California in Santa Barbara for a few days. Both hot tub and pool were very clean--the pool was warm to get into, and the tub (indeed the whole compound) was surrounded by palms and other tropical plants. The Sandman exuded mid-century style without feeling contrived. The front desk was prompt and professional. The continental breakfast was nothing special and located in the rather gloomy, dated restaurant next door, but local breakfast places are within walking distance. You do have to drive to get to the bustling end of State Street, about three miles away, but it is walkable if you want the exercise. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Ok for a night

Nice enough place and did complimentary breakfast but was good 15min drive from the town. We only stayed for a night which was fine but would advise somewhere closer for longer

Good value for money

Great Deal

The Sandman was a pleasant surprise. It was economical, clean, quiet, and pleasantly landscaped. We were facing a secluded inner courtyard. Free parking right in front of our door. Most rooms have no room above, adding to the quiet. Free breakfast in the adjoining restaurant was typical, but the room was better than many. We were quite happy with our stay here.

Comments