The Upham

The Upham Hotel & Country House
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

• WhittierWasabi's Profile Photo

Country House Inn - part of the Upham

We wanted to stay at the Upham, but they were full, so we got the very last room available at the Country House Inn - which was 1/2 block away. We were very happily surprised! It's a 9-room Victorian house and we were greeted by a charming grandmotherly-type lady.

First, the "con." Although our room was small and charming, the bathroom had only a toilet and shower. The sink was on the other side of our bed. Very inconvenient and annoying. Like I said, we got the very last room available - most of the rooms have regular bathrooms - you better call before booking!

Now, the "pros." Wonderful, cute Victorian house, quaint backyard, cozy living room, sitting room and backyard patio. Wine, cheese and crackers in the afternoon. When we returned in the evening there were freshly baked cookies and scones in the Sun Room. In the morning, a wonderful spread of breakfast foods waiting for us.

I would definitely come back here! I loved it (except our room - the "Nicole" room)

• LindaV's Profile Photo

A romantic getway

If your looking to getaway for a romantic weekend and price isn't too much of a concern, then The Upham Hotel is a perfect choice! It is centrally located to restaurants and shopping areas and minutes from the beautiful Santa Barbara beaches. The rooms are incredibly quaint and romantic which includes a very cozy fireplace. It is particularly accomodating to women because of the soft delicate decor and lovely victorian ambience. A must stay for a quiet romantic getaway.

Unique Quality: Accomodations include a very lovely continental breakfast.The Upham also houses a restaurant on premises...Louie's. There is also a beautiful courtyard area to sit and enjoy the beautiful weather and a nice cup of coffee...if you're lucky enough you will get a visit from the hotel cat (I call him Mr. Wiggles) who occasionally enjoys taking a nap while basking in the morning sun.

• jrjohnson's Profile Photo

Oldest Hotel in Southern California

This Hotel claims it's the oldest continuously operated hotel in Southern California opertaing since 1871. Here's an excerpt from their website.

"In 1871, travelers to Santa Barbara came by horseback, carriage or steamship to enjoy the beautiful surroundings and "healthful climate" and stayed in "a New England-style boarding house featuring the best accommodations of the place." Now 132 years later, the Upham Hotel, fully refurbished and restored, is still providing that same traditional hospitality. It is a full-service hotel, combining the bed-and-breakfast comfort of its 50 guestrooms and suites with the private luxury of five Garden Cottages and the convenience of on-site conference facilities."

Nice place with a great location. The rooms were very small but quaint. We actually stayed in the room pictured on their website, and we were shocked at how much smaller it was in person... but still really nice, even had a fireplace. It was a bit pricey at $250 a night but if you're into these types of places, you'd really dig it.

Unique Quality: Great location. It's only a couple blocks from State Street which is the main shopping/restaurant area of Santa Barbara. It's about a 5-10 minute drive to the beach or a 30 minute walk.

Complimentary continental breakfast was nice. I think it was freshly baked. Also, the milk and cookies at night were great. I had my fill of Oreos.

CATS!!! They have at least one cat in the lobby which I noticed because I have allergies. I didn't have any problems with the allergies because I was staying in the Cottage but I imagine that if I was in the hotel... i could have been an issue.

Directions: Corner of Sola and De la Vina. Coming from the 101, De la Vina goes one way in the wrong direction so make sure you go all the way up to Sola before you try to go up De la Vina

Comments