Paradise Inn By The Beach Santa Cruz

Tags

Family Travel Budget Travel Business Travel
See Amenities

They Stole From a Struggling Family of Four

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 23, 2011

My husband, our 8 year old daughter, our 15 month old daughter and myself arrived at The Paradise Inn in mid-February. Initially we were charged $69 + tax per night and $145 + tax on a Saturday. We paid for 5 days. After our 5 days were up our family found ourselves in crisis and were homeless without a vehicle so we asked to stay day by day. Now it was the 6th day of our stay we noticed their new price of $65 a night. At first when I asked, DD (the live-in manager) for receipts he told me they did NOT give out receipts and he refused to give us a print out or a hand written (ILLEGAL). It was also on our 6th day that DD kept BOTH our licenses but I'll get back to that. On day 7 he verbally told us it was $80 per night so for 12 days straight we gave DD $80 per night and never received our change or receipts. Finally, having enough BS, my husband and I demanded our receipts. We actually had the county call for our receipts as well. After DD reluctantly submitted 2 separate receipts to us we noticed he surely was charging us $65 per night and putting our payment to him in his computer as $72.50 (price includes tax). So every time he received our payment for the evening, he pocketed our change. Before speaking with the owner of The Paradise (same owner of The Hitching Post and National 9) I approached DD, the manager, with our dilemma. He begged me not to talk to his boss and that he would fix it. Within 1 hour DD knocked on our door and entered our room (which is SO illegal) with TWO twenty-dollar bills. He told both my husband and I it was all he could do and on top of that he wanted our receipts back. Before handing the receipts back to him I ran into the side room and snapped 5 pictures of them so we had proof of what they had been doing to us. The next day my family and I spoke with the owner at National 9. After showing him our photos, telling him DD entered our room with TWO twenty-dollar bills to hush us up, telling him DD refused us a fridge, telling him our toilet was over-flowing with feces and urine for close to 5 days (which my husband fixed eventually since they wouldn't) and telling him we had to buy our own toilet paper and towels, we were...GET THIS...given TWO MORE twenty-dollar bills from them. Not our ENTIRE stolen amount. Not a fridge. Not a few nights free. Not even an APOLOGY. On top of it all the owner had the audacity to ask my husband to keep an eye out for mischief late at night because the manager had a tendency to sleep while working. I would like to say we high-tailed it out of that hell hole after that but that's where our stolen IDs come into play. When my family and I returned to our room both mine and my husband's driver's licenses were gone. GONE. What does that mean in Santa Cruz? It meant we couldn't move to another hotel/motel because we didn't have proper identification. We HAD to stay there. Also, every time the manager saw my husband leave he would yell at me and call me names in front of our children. On 2 occasions I had a female friend of mine come over to visit and on both occasions the manager propositioned her. So here it was, every day they drained our wallets and treated us like dogs. Finally, with our pockets empty and my family now homeless, we had to leave. Here's the best part, knowing we were leaving, DD came from behind his two-way mirror and handed me back my driver's license. He claimed to have found it outside. Which I found remarkable since there wasn't one scratch on it after it was supposedly exposed to excessive rain and storms. So there you have it. The "PARADISE" Inn. I want EVERYONE to know what kind of people they are and to know the same people also own The Hitching Post and The National 9. I can't stress enough the severity of their evil. What I wouldn't give for a lawyer.

Unique Quality: Sure they have a pool. A pool of what I couldn't tell you but it most certainly wasn't chlorinated water. Our whole month there we not once received a fridge. Out of our month there house-keeping showed up 3 times. No coffee as advertised and the Wi-Fi they offered was "piggy-backed" off of someone else's connection.

Directions: Located directly next to Boardwalk Bowl.

Nearby Paradise Inn By The Beach Santa Cruz

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Santa Cruz Travel Forum

Need advice about Santa Cruz, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Santa Cruz and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Santa Cruz hotel reviews