Torch Lite Inn Santa Cruz

In front of Bookshop Santa CruzIn front of Bookshop Santa Cruz

Wilder Ranch Beach AccessWilder Ranch Beach Access

UC Santa Cruz

by lloren

I am a junior in high school, and looking for places in and around UC Santa Cruz to get a feel for what campus life would be like if I went there. I'll be visiting 3/4 - 3/6. Interesting spots on campus, cafes to visit, etc. Thanks!

RE: UC Santa Cruz

by Ewingjr98

There is quite a bit to see and do in Santa Cruz from a tourists perspective, but I'm not familiar with the University. You might want to post this same question on the Santa Cruz Forum where more locals will see it.

But, the beaches there are great, surfers everywhere, Pacific Street downtown is full of shops, restaurants, bars, cafes, etc. One of the old California Missions sits on the hill right above downtown. Plus, you are only 1.5 hours south of San Francisco, and even closer to San Jose and Monterey. You won't be bored here.

Joe

RE: RE: UC Santa Cruz

by Ewingjr98

Whoops... I guess this IS posted in the Santa Cruz forum. Apologies!

Joe

RE: UC Santa Cruz

by atufft

I have one tip for UC Santa Cruz, as I recall, but I don't emphasize the campus hot spots or cafes. The great location of the campus on what was once a ranch above the town, provides views of the water from dorm rooms, as I recall. Santa Cruz's downtown is small enough to be impacted by students on winter nights. Make sure your major area of academic interest is also a focus at this campus.

Travel Tips for Santa Cruz

Breakwater and Lighthouse

by yooperprof

These concrete "jacks" are meant to help preserve the stability of the lighthouse and the breakwater during major storms. That's my Dad walking in front of the lighthouse: we explored the harbor together.

Coastal Highway 101 heading North

by tvdandy

A nice day trip out of Santa Cruz is to head North on Highway 101 for some absolutly beautiful ocean scenery that rivals Big Sur. You don't have to go far, way before you would go anywhere near San Fransicso. I would say 15 to 20 miles max to hit all the best views. Get some ideal pictures without getting car sick:)

Hallcrest Vineyards

by karenincalifornia

We drove past Hallcrest Vineyard without seeing it the first time. We double-backed after visiting Bonny Doon, and found it hidden down a driveway near the quaint, woodsy town of Felton. Hallcrest makes some excellent wines, as we discovered after tasting many bottles. My husband, however, didn't care for their organic no added sulphites wines. Can't have those chemical-free and toxin-free wines, now can we?

After witnessing the quirky behavior of the owners/employees at the two previous wineries we visited, we couldn't wait to see what would happen at Hallcrest. We were the only visitors there in the tasting room, which was nice. At first, things got off to a very normal and uneventful start. Then, while we were sipping a very fine pinot noir, the winery employee who was helping us asked, "Excuse me, I haven't had a chance to eat lunch. You don't mind if I eat in front of you, do you?" She immediately plopped down this most disgusting gruel in front us. Nothing like adding a little gruel to the enjoyment of a discovering a new wine!

This is Santa Cruz. Not Napa. It's an understatement to say different rules apply. Or rather, in Santa Cruz, there are no rules.

Fabulous breakfasts

by karenincalifornia about Hoffman's Bakery Cafe & Restaurant

Located in downtown Santa Cruz, Hoffman's Bakery Cafe is a real find. We went there for breakfast on our first morning, and liked it so much, we went back the next morning. They are open 7 days a week, and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. By 9:00 am both morning, the place was packed. Instead of toast, the cafe serves the most delicious scones. Perfectly made. One morning I had a plate of fresh fruit - very healthy, but I missed trying out one of their creative breakfasts. On the second morning, I ordered chilaquiles. It was so delicious! Also on the breakfast menu are fluffy omelets, frittata, waffles and several other dishes. Take a pass on the latte and cappucino - Hoffman's doesn't measure up to Peet's on the espresso drink front. However, the plain coffee was good enough, and their mimosas are excellent - made with fresh squeezed OJ!

We did not eat dinner here, but the dinner menu looks quite good, and they also serve German specialties!

A good choice

by trvlrtom about Cloud's

Cloud's is a fairly upscale restaurant that feature an original menu and a nice bar. The atmosphere is well designed and comfortable. The food selection is wide and somewhat eclectic. Cloud's has been well received by locals.

Comments