2001 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, California, 90405, United States

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

• crazypaws's Profile Photo

Not recommended

We stayed at this motel for one night during our road trip across California. Thank God it was only one night! The room was nice, definitely big enough for the two of us, bathroom was in good condition too. When I wanted to take a shower in the evening, I noticed that the floor mat hanging on the shower cabin was still wet. We hadn’t used it yet, so obviously housekeeping didn’t change it. The other towels were fresh and clean though.

Our room was located on the ground floor, right at the corner of the building. We have no problem with a bit of outside noise, it’s to be expected in a city after all. Right next to our room was a little gate that was kept locked at night, so that only guests could enter the little courtyard. There was no quiet way to open or close the gate, it squeaked so badly and had to be pushed into the lock really hard for it to close. Needless to say we hardly slept at all that night.
    The people staying above us left the hotel around 5 am, we could hear their every move above us. Again, I don’t mind a little bit of noise, but this was ridiculous, the hotel could definitely do something about their insulation.

The next morning upon checkout, I mentioned my remarks to the guy working. He just looked at me until I finished, then continued with the checkout, and apologized for the inconvenience, in a way like he couldn’t care less. Maybe we were naïve, but we were hoping for a little compensation from them. For $159 a night we definitely expected something better! This was the most expensive hotel we stayed at during our trip, and it was by far the worst!

Unique Quality: The only good thing is the location, it's right by the beach and about 5 minute's walk from the Pier.

• Bayside Hotel - a hidden treasure by the beach

Unique Quality: This is a small, cozy little hotel on the beach and just minutes away from the Pier and Third Street Promenade. The hotel is older but the staff is friendly, rooms are clean and the ocean view rooms with the little patios have better views than all other hotels in this price range! My number one destination in LA!

• Very Nice, Excellant Value

Four of us stayed 2 nights at Bayside and it was excellant. Only about $140/night and the location was perfect. Across the street from the park/beach, 5 minute walk to the pier, a couple minutes more to the 3rd Street Promenade, and a little longer walk to Venice Beach. Accomodations were older, but very clean; more of a vintage feel, definately not run-down. The front desk help was super. First night, they gave us a local map and marked helpful points of interest, very welcoming. Later, the parking lot was full so they told us they plug the meters for us if we had to park on the street! All in all, a beautiful place for a bargain price.

More about Bayside Hotel

Perfect quiet location

We stayed here May 26-30, 2005 in a King size room overlooking the ocean (room 202). A garden view room would be nice as well, though if it is on the back side of the hotel it might be noisy. The front-desk staff were extremely helpful and kind -- suggesting things to do and places to eat. The room was basic, a good size, no frills. The location was perfect--even my friends who live in LA agreed...close enough to walk to the promenade and pier, but tucked away from the hustle and bustle. It is only one block from the beach and the more expensive hotels (Shutters on the Beach and Casa del Mar). Even though there was no A/C in the room we were very comfortable with the ceiling fan (and my boyfriend is always hot sleeping) turned on. The kitchen was great and bigger than expected-- utensils, plates, glasses and a tea and coffee pot were provided. The shower was nice, but the showerhead was a little low for my 6'3" boyfriend. I wish there was some shelving in the bathroom...it was big enough but the sink didn't have a counter so I had to put my make-up/contacts on the top of the toilet. The bed was very comfortable and the maid service was prompt and thorough. The room could have used a new paint job and updated chairs. The comforter was a bit worn.
We enjoyed it and if we are ever staying in LA again we'll be back.

hotel was old, but right across from beach

My daughter and I stayed here for one night coming back from Aneheim.
I wasn't fond of the beach, it smelled like fish and the bums were laying all over the place. I was really surprized. I came here 19yrs ago and it was nothing like I remembered. The hotel was just somewhere to lay your head after a long day sightseeing. The hotel manager was very nice and helpful. It was nothing flashy just a small quite room. Great for a couple wanting to get away for the weekend.

drinks on the verandah

Arrived early afternoon by hire car, and as carpark was almost full and we were driving a huge vehicle, we didn't like to try and squeeze park so desk staff were very helpful in offering front onsite easy parking. Our room was ground floor, facing the beach, and to our happy surprise had a kitchen. This enabled us to buy some groceries and cook which saved heaps just on breakfasts and a cheese and ham grill for dinner one night. We often sat on the sunny verandah of an afternoon, few drinks, looking at the ocean. Tide shuttle is just accross the road. You can walk to main st for shops and restaurants.Hire a bike close by and ride to Venice beach, walking distance to pier. The room was large, bed comfortable (nice blankets) and the bathroom brought back memories of flatting in Bondi as a teenager (good memories)
The desk staff were very helpful and knowlegable. Our friends did say they heard the people above during the night, but otherwise very quiet and a great location. Large shopping complex within easy walking distance too.
I actually used the Trip advisor for this hotel before booking. Thanks

Blahside Hotel

Good: Room was clean, had basic cable, ceiling fan, clean towels, clean sheets, good location, decent firm mattress and pillows, ocean a block away, room was only $150 with tax.

Bad: Upon arrival, they make you sign a card which is a contract that commits you to the entire length of stay. I would have left the hotel after the first night and I got the feeling they have a lot of people that have in the past and this is why they do this. I've never had to sign anything like this in my life at any hotel. They also preauthorize your credit/debit card for the full amount upon arrival. That means that if you used a debit card, that money will be tied up for 5-7 business days. No A/C; hot room, Stained worn carpet, Even though parking is free they don't have enough spaces so you are not guaranteed a space. Courtyard with Garden = Potted plants on cement floor, people "live" across from the courtyard in apartments, Noisy, no privacy, window would not lock, Low showerhead, good for 5'7" and under, Ugly dated rooms and TV, No internet connection in the room, no hangers in the closet, no ice machine or vending machines on the property, Lack of security, don't leave expensive items in the room, staff was okay - I wouldn't call them friendly or rude, they were just sort of manning the office busy doing paperwork.

Would not stay here again.

Bayside - Avoid if you're staying more than one night....

by TripAdvisor Member HOLLYSMILES

The description says, "European Style". This is not the case. It's a dated, old hotel. Great economy option if you just want a one night stopover and a cheap bed. We were looking for at least 2 star quality, but it was only a one star, even half star, economy option. We stayed at the Bayside from June 2-7, 2005 in a "garden view" room which overlooked potted plants and other rooms on the other side of the courtyard which weren't really rooms but apartments where people lived. I didn't like the courtyard area because whenever anyone went outside to light up, it went directly into the room. The window in our room didn't lock and the screen was easy to open, so anyone could step inside your window so safety was a factor at this hotel. I brought my expensive camera equipment with me at all times, I didn't feel comfortable leaving it in the room. The rooms all open outside, there is no interior hallway, so noise is a factor. The rooms were dated, stained carpet, worn walls, furniture was 40 years old or so, comforter was very worn; but the room was clean and the bed was firm yet comfortable, as were the pillows. By the way, there is no longer a "tide shuttle" service outside of the hotel.

The TV was out of the 70s but at least they had cable. The shower head was low - it came up to my collarbone and I'm 5'9"! No tub, only a standup shower.Towels were clean, smelled fresh, as did the sheets. The room had no A/C, but it did have a ceiling fan. I couldn't imagine staying here in mid June through end of summer though, it would have been super hot since the rooms in the courtyard have no breeze, except cigarette smoke from the patios outside. Parking is included, which is fine if you can find a space, there's only about 20 spaces for over 30 rooms so park before 8pm or you won't find a space in the back and you'll have to park at a meter. Parking in the back becomes so tight, people line their cars along the walls, so if you're staying on the first floor, do not stay in the courtyard or rear of the building!! We stayed on the 2nd floor in the courtyard. We were there for 5 nights and every night we didn't have a spot behind the lot and I had to go to the front office asking them if they could please help me find a nearby space or move their car. It was a total pain. The proximity to the beach and pier was good, about 5 minutes to the pier. The beach is a few streets over and the pier is only 3-4 blocks down. It's a quick hop onto the Santa Monica freeway too. We walked to the 3rd street promenade, too - although it was about 10 minutes to walk there plus it's about 6 blocks of shopping, so if you walk the entire way prepare to walk back about 25 minutes. It was easier to walk over there and then take a cab back at night.

The location and price was reasonable for this area ($119 per night, with tax, $140), but honestly, I wish the hotel would show some interest in its property and make it nicer for guests. I would pay more to have a room that was secure, had A/C, more modern, and didn't have that "one night stand" vibe to it.

Next time in Santa Monica, we won't stay at this hotel but rather, opt for something that felt more like a vacation. I like to be able to call out for pizza and feel like I can eat in my room. I would never eat in this room, it felt too sleazy. Sure, it was cheap (price), but it felt cheap and honestly, I don't like staying someplace where I intentionally try to find things to do at night to avoid facing my ugly hot hotel room.

I don't want to sound ungrateful though, it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but for me personally - I won't stay there again. Strange coffee maker on the wall, odd dispenser in the bathroom shower for soap, no shampoo or products, no vending machines, no ice machines, nothing. Just a bed and a room.

I'll attach some photos so you can have a look for yourself. Again, this is a courtyard room, maybe the rooms along the street facing the ocean area were nicer… I don't know. They faced the front parking lot and two streets, then the beach is over the hill, so I'm not sure how the views are from the "ocean front" rooms, but maybe those are okay. I wouldn't suggest courtyard rooms.

Rating: Below Average but clean, good economy option if you don't mind all the downsides. Oh and by the way, they make you sign some form when you arrive stating that you will stay for the full duration and you cannot check out early or else you are still charged. They also charge the entire amount to your credit card when you arrive. I didn't like this at all and I've never had to do this before. For a 5 night stay, that's a lot of cash coming out of your account if you decide, after the first night, you want to leave and stay elsewhere. You can't.

Just Fine

by TripAdvisor Member Billya

So it's more of a motel than hotel, but you can pay much
more for similar in Santa Monica and I have stayed in them.
Just returned from my second stay at the Bayside in the past 3 years.
Will be back again this September. The Bayside serves its purpose well.
Clean and good location.

shangri-la?

by thurstyy

Two adults, two teens spending 1 afternoon and night in Santa Monica in June. Shangri-La looks like an interesting non-chain place with room for 4 in a 1 bdr suite and a location close to everything. But it's also supposed to be, how shall we say, quirky. Any current intel on this place?

RE: shangri-la?

by YVRDave

Not sure what you mean by 'Quirky'. The other hotels that are similar are The Casa Del Mar, Shutters on the Beach, The Miramar

RE: RE: shangri-la?

by thurstyy

just seen some reviews that call the place "eccentric," which usually means odd room layouts or furnishings. neither a problem for us as long as 4 people can get a good night's sleep in a suite and we can walk to beach and attractions. i've narrowed it to either a suite at SL for about 185 or 2 non-AC rooms at the budget Bayside Hotel (.25 mi south of pier) for about 110 each. any thoughts on which location is better?? many thanks

Comments