Embassy Hotel Apartments

1001 3rd Street, Santa Monica, California, 90403, United States

Good For No Data
  • So Beautiful In Santa Monica

We stayed at the Embassy Hotel this past winter. Although not a "full service" hotel, we found the accomodations fabulous. Every room/suite we saw, in addition to our own, was spacious with wonderful natural light and beautiful furniture. This is NOT your typical hotel where you get a small room and lots of company! Parking can be difficult in the area, but if you like to walk, everything is near by. The gardens and residential location remind me of days past when everything was not built to maximize land coverage.

The staff, which is limited, was warm and helpful.

Unique Quality: This hotel is a Santa Monica Landmark Hotel. Although not as old as buildings you will find on the east coast, it was built in 1927 and reflects the charm and craftsmanship of that time. Fortunately not much has been done to the building to change the original intent. There is extensive use of rich woods, beautiful tiles in the lobby, high ceilings and large windows. Unfortunately there is no air conditioning and the heating can be noisy (radiators), but we did not need either when we were there.

Directions: Just two blocks north of the Third Street Promenade, three blocks south of Montana Avenue, just east of Palisades Park and the amazing view of the Pacific Ocean. Very conveniently located.

More about Embassy Hotel Apartments

Bad Management Sinks Hotel Credibility

My wife and I attempted to book a room at the Embassy Hotel Apartments for early November but were never sent a confirmation from the hotel. With a major conference in town we figured they were booked and after several frustrating days of not hearing back from them we made reservations at another hotel. During our stay in Santa Monica we received a call from them about our reservation and we responded that we didn't receive a confirmation and had to scramble to find another hotel. Upon our arrival home we discovered that we were charged for our "attempted" stay. We explained to the Manager that we never received a confirmation and he told us that they had sent us one and that we would be charged for the room. At best the management of Embassy Hotel Apartments puts their own needs over their potential customers and at worst they are scam artists that bill attempted customers after the fact. After our dealings with the hotel, I'm not surprised to read the comments of the person who stayed here in October who was lied to by the staff and treated what he considered to be unfairly. We recommend you book a room at a different hotel when staying in Santa Monica.

great value with beautiful garden

I really liked Embassy Hotel Apartments. I stayed there for two nights and thought it was an awesome value for the area. I thought it would be right next to the beach (which it isn't, it's 2 blocks away form the boardwalk) and that was a bit disappointing. But the beach is quickly accessible by car and the hotel's proximity to the 3rd Street shops was quite nice. I liked the fact that there were some long-term residents and families travelling with kids staying there. Although I could hear the kids quite well in the hallway, my room was peaceful and quiet.

I stayed in "The Bachelor." I thought it was lovely and clean, loads better than the Cadillac Hotel, and well worth the extra money. Street parking was no problem with the provided parking pass. I'll definitely stay there again if I'm in Santa Monica.

step back in time

by TripAdvisor Member seagrass

This was on the high end of the budget for our family vacation, but was worth it. You'll love the spaciousness of the suites, with their oversized windows, and the quality of the details. Most of the woodwork, fixtures and the bathrooms are vintage and in superior shape for an 80 year old property. We had a large balcony overlooking a well groomed garden. The kitchen/dining area was ample and this is a great property for an extended stay but nice for even two nights. Parking was a tiny worry but never a big problem. Hallways are dim and carpet in the public areas could stand replacement, although it was fine in the rooms. Lobby is grand, but noticeably empty. Staff was thorough in reminding us they aren't there after 5 p.m. An oddity is the $2 charge for coffee packs after the first day. At this rate, why? For those with luggage or mobility issues, there are at least four changes of elevation between the curb and the bed, which adds to the charm but also to the workload. Well located: near the beach and mall but not so close to be noisy. If you like old hotels, this is for you.

Skip the Embassy

This was the second stay here for me and I was totally disappointed. I felt like they felt that they "had my business" so they did nothing to accomodate my stay. The cable was not connected to the television, and nobody was available to help me. Also, the telephone in the bedroom was disconnected. It was really disappointing. I checked in to get away from construction noise at my house and asked upon check in if there was any construction in the hotel. They said no, aside from tile work in a room far from mine. I awoke to hammering at 8:00 am right above my room. Both the front desk managers played stupid, and finally admitted there was construction work being done right above my room. They didn't even refund my night there. They didn't take anything off for the cable and television, and charged me for half a night even though I had to check out and find another place to stay. So basically, they lied about construction to get my business, gave me a sub-par room, and were rude to me when I expected a refund. I used to refer people here b/c it was a quiet, quaint place. But, since my last stay, they jacked up their prices, and the service took a nose dive. Spend a little more and stay at a real hotel that at least offers room service, and a television that works.

TERRIBLE Management

I tried booking a room for July 2006 and have never been spoken to so rudely by anyone in my life! I was trying to book for a family of 4 and the lady on the phone immediately started yelling at me, telling me that they have no rooms with 2 beds, only a 2br 2bath with a king and 2 twins for an outrangeous price. I told her that this was not what we were looking for and she yelled at me and said "this IS for our family of four thank you" and hung up on me! She didn't even let me finish asking my questions. I will never book a room at this hotel and I absolutely would not recommend it to anyone!

Full of character

by TripAdvisor Member JohnCarter

We stayed three nights at the Embassy during a recent visits to California. I feel I need to post a review in defence of the management as well as the Hotel.
Upon arrival we were really well greated by one of the manager's, a swedish lady. She was so nice and pleasant. We had three rooms and all were nice, clean, spacious and full of character. Two of the rooms had lovely big french windows that opened up onto the gardens at the front of the hotel.
This hotel is a real experience, full of character and charm.
We were not overly impressed by Santa Monica itself but would certainly recommend the Embassy for a very pleasant stay in a great location.

Loved this hotel!

We stayed at the Embassy for 2 nights in November and absolutely loved this place. Our room was a one bedroom suite on the 2nd floor, very spacious, bright, bed was very comfortable, entire apartment was very clean. Location is good, close to most local attrations. Manager was very friendly. The only complaint I have is that this place charges for roll-away beds, my husband and I traveled with our 4 year old son and we had to pay additional $15 per night. This hotel is expansive enough and i think they could have provided that at no cost (like all other hotels).

Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member laskrops

We stayed for two nights at this hotel in January 2006. Overall, it was a great experience. Our room was a one bedroom suite, with comfortable furniture, ample closet space, separate dressing room and table and bathroom. The suite was very clean. The facility and gardens are lovely. The hotel provides a free parking permit for the street. The management is friendly.

Our room, 112, was located under the stairs and next to the office. Because of this, we were occasionally disturbed by noise.

While we stayed here, we did not get in our car once. We walked three blocks to the park overlooking the ocean, we walked downtown to the pedestrian 3rd street area and walked about 15 minutes to Monterey avenue cafes and shops.

Great food can be found everywhere, but we especially enjoyed Marmalade Cafe on Monterey and the Border Grill on 4th (same one as in Mandalay Bay at Las Vegas).

We would return to this hotel.

Scam Artists is correct

I was reading a review that someone else placed regarding being charged for a room they didn't stay in. It happened to me too, on my daughter's wedding day in Santa Monica. I reserved two rooms and immediately called back to cancel. I never heard from anyone from the hotel until the wedding day. I get a message saying to call before 4:00 p.m. to cancel or they are going to charge me for the rooms. Being that we are were very busy with the wedding that day, I did not get the message till the next day. I called them as soon as I got the message and was rudely told that I did not cancel and the two rooms would be charged. I explained that I cancel the initial reservation weeks ago, that I did not reserved the rooms. She argued and told me I would be charged and I was. I paid alot of money for two rooms I did not stay in plus the rooms at the other hotel I did stay in. I will never stay at this hotel or recommend it. Sounds like they scam people all the time.

Comments