Hotel California Santa Monica

Satisfaction Average

• marinarena's Profile Photo

"Such a Lovely Place..."

...well, it's all right!

Though I had spent time here with bad company, I liked staying at this kitchy hotel. I would recommend staying here if you like to have more than just plain white walled hotels with no style and if you would like to stay close to the beach. Is there anyone who would not like either ?

I love the convenience of the location. The beach and Third Street Promenade is just a nice walk away.

The rates are a bit pricey (about $150/weekend night) but for coastal Santa Monica, they are actually good.

Unique Quality: One thing I did not like about the room was that it had a step in the middle of rooms. One can easily trip down to the floor if not careful.

Directions: a few streets away from the Santa Monica Pier

More about Hotel California Santa Monica

The WORST hotel on planet earth

I was looking for a cool place to stay over New Year's Eve. I found the "quaint" Hotel California online, although I had read about it in various places. Needless to say, the 3 days I spent in that hotel were worse than my stays at the worst hostels in Europe.

First, the check-in. The person at the front desk was totally rude. When I complained that I had asked for one Queen bed and got two double beds (on wheels, no less), he said "Sorry, that's all we have."

Next, the room. This was intolerable. The room was mildewy, small, had creaking floorboards that were extremely dirty, two double beds on wheels that creaked and the walls were paper-thin. How thin is that, you ask? Well, we could hear everything from the neighbors next door having sex for 3 hours, to the neighbors leaving their TV on till 6am, to the kids skateboarding down the alley, to all the traffic on Ocean Ave. Oh, and did I mention that the heater in our room was broken? Sure, it's Southern California, but it was January and it was cold. They fixed it the next day, but not soon enough for us to avoid enduring an miserable night in the cold. Finally, let me talk about the bathroom. The toilet was jammed up so close to the shower that you had to stick your feet in the shower to sit down. The toilet usually flushed, but sometimes it didn't. It would usually flush on the 3rd or 4th try though. And the shower itself was akin to a gas chamber. No joke, it was so small that I, who am not an extremely large person, could barely turn around in it. The shower tiles were broken and moldy and there was no light in the shower. I was extremely uncomfortable taking a shower and I definitely wore flip-flops to keep from getting toe fungus. Finally, the bathroom sink leaked and was covered in grime. Housekeeping was lackadaisical to say the least.

I don't know why I stayed there for all three nights. I guess it was the psychological aspect of having already paid for it. Whatever it was, I regret it. I am surprised my girlfriend didn't break up with me because of the experience. Bar none, this is the single worst lodging experience I have ever had. I would rather sleep in a cardboard box with all the other homeless people in Santa Monica.

Great Place to Saty

Wonderful place. Quiet amid the craziness of Santa Monica. Extremely reasonable, ask about their stay three nights and pay for two. Suites easily sleep four, and they are really economical. Really nice staff as well. Santa Monica's best place to stay!!

just perfect

The Hotel California- Yes, this place is California, and repersentitive of all things good , the ocean,beach,beautiful sceanary-and a layed back friendly enviorment to drift away into all that is California.
In my 3rd stay at the Hotel California, my family and I can only say that a 4th stay is 100% certain.
Contributing to this perfect stay at the hotel California is Lynn-the night receptionist that truely represents California-a peacefull friendly woman, always willing to help, or give a kind word to the guests 'California style'.
So if your in town, pass all the big fancy hotels, and go directly to the 'real' California life-style-the Hotel California...and say hi to Lynn...

quaint california style

by TripAdvisor Member caddisfly

after seeing the pictures on the web we thought this was ideal. yes, the location is picturesque and easy to find being next to the loews. however, parking was tight and if you arrive late even the loews may not be able to fit you in. we initially had a room facing the street. didn't feel safe and was disheartened by the broken lock on the door. a little note to websurfers though, we booked this through the internet and asked for a courtyard room. when i queried this with the night staff i was told that the internet bookers can only secure roadside rooms. however, she was very helpful and put us in an available courtyard room the next day. how kind!! overall, a good hotel. small, yes but essentially californian in it's outlook. well done!!

Charming

Very delightful and charming place to stay. Everyone is just so nice and informed, from Mary being so helpful and nice, to the lovely room, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Thank you everyone!

Hakuna Matata...What A Wonderful Place

"Hakuna Matata
-Oh What Can I Say-
Hakuna Matata
-Ain' t No Better Pla-a-a-a-ce..."

Best Spot in Santa Monica -Do Your Homework or Take it from Someone Who Aced His Already, And Is Now Indeed Enjoying His Stay at The Hotel California Suites

A Place is only as good as its People though, And At This Hotel
They are simply as Good as They Get I'm sure I'll Be Back Home again soon enough,

So Greetings to Mary, Lynn, Baur, Ryan and Justin
From The Land of The Chocolate Makers...

Andy.

Bed Bugs!!!

This hotel was the one of the worst we've ever stayed in and we travel a lot. Hotels in Bulgaria are cleaner and friendlier! The rate was exorbitant, the rooms were dirty, there was no air con, and the rooms were noisy. However, the worst aspect by far was the fact that we discovered bed bugs crawling around on the sheets on the second morning of our stay. Neddless to say, we checked out immediately and the manager didn't seem all that surprised by our discovery. We were offered no compensation but told that they would "put the room out of service" - yeah right!!! Don't go there get a room farther from the beach it'll be cheaper and, hopefully, cleaner.

Its a dump!

Room: small, dirty; Bath: dirty, broken everything, leaky toilet; Staff: rude, arrogant; Beds: BEDBUGS; Forget about ever staying here regardless of attractive location or other positive reviews...this was a nightmare for us. No staff at desk or emergency contact over night.....we had to leave due to bed bugs in the midlle of the night. They deserve to be shut down!

Comments