530 Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90405

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Sheraton Delfina Santa Monica

Great rooms

by TripAdvisor Member lovetojourney

We stayed at Four Points Sheraton which is now being called the Sheraton Delfina in Santa Monica for 3 nights over new year 2005. It has just been refurbished (except for the pool which is an empty concrete hole in the ground). Our inter-connecting rooms were great, large with 2 queen beds in each. There is a separate liitle area for tea/coffee making & we were able to borrow a bar fridge for no extra charge. The beds were very comfortable with beautiful quilts. The black granite in the bathroom & coffee nook is very classy. Make sure to ask for a high floor. Our first night was on the second floor which was too close to the neighbouring apartment buiding. Each time they opened their balcony doors it sounded like thunder! There was also NO privacy so we kept the curtains closed all day. We moved up to the 6th floor the next day which made a big difference & we even had a view of the coast & hills. There were a few takeaway food stores on the next corner which is a must when you have a family. The room service prices are far too expensive. All in all, the rooms were excellent & the location was fine. However, if we had more funds, somewhere closer to the beach would be preferable, as it is a long walk to the Santa Monica Pier.

Comfortable room, but still working out the kinks...

by TripAdvisor Member kmbmea

At the time of our stay (mid-February 2005) this hotel was transitioning between a Four Points Sheraton and a boutique-styled Sheraton, named the Sheraton Delfina. Many of the full-fledged Sheraton stylings are already in place. Comfortable Sweet Sleeper bed and a very soothing, swank lobby area attest to the upgrade. At the same time, it retained some Four Points benefits, like free self-parking downstairs. In room coffee. Hi speed internet for a fee, $2 charge for local or toll free calls.

However, it’s not without its problems. Our bathroom wasn’t fully tiled, and the shower was frankly outdated. (This room is next to a service elevator -- a silent one during our stay -- and there is a small door that leads from the bathroom, presumably to the elevator shaft or maintenance room? The tiles on the floor stop short of this extra door. See the photos, linked below.) They put in a nice sink, but didn’t work on the shower. Strange.

Another item that needs overhauling is the windows. We were in room 401, which is itself a smaller, oddly shaped room at the end of a very long hallway (our room was booked via Hotwire -- perhaps some Hotwire discrimination?) so perhaps our room had old 1960s windows while other rooms were fully modernized. But our windows leaked – both air and water, when it rained. (Yes, it rains in southern California.) There was a puddle on the windowsill in the morning. Other minor stuff still shows that they're in transition. The drop ceiling in the lobby isn't in place, so you can see the pipes etc. if you look up. Signs are contradictory, some saying Four Points, others saying Delfina. So kinks are still being worked out.

The hotel also put erroneous charges on our bill, which I didn't see until I got the credit card statement. (A downside to express check-out...) It took three calls to their accounting office to get this resolved. Eventually, 6 weeks after the stay, we got the credit, but Daisy in the accounting office was really unresponsive.

For the price we paid on Hotwire, we were certainly happy. The regular $289 rate would have been way too much for this room, though. This will be a great hotel *if* they truly finish fixing it up.

Lastly, in one of the earlier reviews, I read a comment that this hotel is in a seedy area. Not so. There is a commercial strip a few blocks inland, but Pico Street, where the hotel is located, leads straight to the beach. 5 blocks, tops. It's not beachfront, but it's not in the middle of a strip mall either. And certainly not in a slum!

" Friendly atmosphere"

We were also at this Hotel in July when the renovations were being done and stayed in a room that had just been done up and found this hotel to be very clean and staff to be very helpful. The beds were very comfortable and there was plenty of pillows if you need more.

It is only a short walk to the shopping centre and beach or you can catch the T bus.

Would stay at this hotel again, but maybe go to a different area.

Clean, friendly and in a good location.

Spent a week here in November and found the hotel to be clean, friendly
and in a good location. About a 10min walk to the shops and beach.

The location also means that their is no problem with any noise pollution after dark. Great for families with young kidz.......Would consider coming back here in the future.

Works for me!

by TripAdvisor Member sodiej

Great hotel. Lobby is very modern and spacious. Bar/lounge is very hip and welcoming for the late 20's/early 30s crowd. The rooms were furnished with contemporary settings, down comforters and great bathrooms.

One complaint - parking. They do have a self-park garage as well as valet service, but the cars must block each other in and, therefore, slow down departure a bit. Not a big deal, though.

A Great Disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member Stardust615

I made my reservations on line through Starwood Hotels' website. As a Starwood Preferred Guest member, I'd stayed in Westin Hotels and an occasional Sheraton, so the Sheraton Four Points seemed like a good choice. I was wrong.

When my flight plans changed, I called the hotel the day before I was scheduled to arrive, to ask whether I could check in at 1:00 p.m., two hours earlier than their normal check-in time of 3:00 p.m. The clerk took my name, checked my reservation, asked me again what time I wished to check in, then commented, "You ARE aware that our check-in time is 3:00 p.m.?" I was more than a little surprised by his attitude.

When I arrived at the hotel, the doorman apparently checked the ID tag on my luggage to determine my name, then loudly announced to the front desk clerk that "Ms. ____" is here to check in. While I suspect he was merely being friendly, it made me uncomfortable. Although I was able to check in at 1:00 p.m., the front desk clerk asked me if I wanted to upgrade to an oceanview room, at an additional cost of $50 per night. (Quite a switch from other hotels, which upgrade members automatically, at no additional cost. At the Intercontinental Hotel in Chicago, for example, I was upgraded to a suite by a very gracious front desk clerk who simply told me, after he'd completed the check-in, "I've gone ahead and upgraded you to a suite.") With several people waiting in line behind me, the Sheraton's front desk clerk announced my room number -- a huge security breach -- and pointed out the elevators, but failed to inform me that the room key was necessary to activate the elevator.

The room was located on the "Starwood Preferred Guest" floor...but it was at the very back of the hotel, 100 steps from the main elevators, down a twisting and turning hallway. There was no balcony. The room was very small, the bathroom was smaller and the shower stall was tiny. You had to sit on the bed or at the desk to watch television, as the only upholstered chair in the room was in the corner outside the open closet/hallway leading to the bathroom. The bathroom had no counter space, only the edges of the sink. The lights were situated between the sink and the toilet, with the heatlamps inexplicably placed over the toilet. There was no bathtub. As for the shower, I can't believe that it passed building codes -- it was so small that you could stand against the back wall, reach out and touch the front wall. The shower curtain -- that's right, a curtain -- got wet and stuck to your body, as there was no room to get away from the curtain. There was nowhere to put essentials such as shampoo and conditioner -- only a soapdish attached to the wall. The "amenities" in the bathroom included low-cost, low-quality Jergens soap and lotion.

Although I was initially disappointed in the room, I was pressed for time and had to immediately shower, dress and leave. When I returned to the hotel that evening, I noticed that two service elevators were right next to my room and beyond the elevators, a door to an outside stairwell was propped open. The next morning, I discovered that my room was very different from the hotel's other rooms when I passed an open doorway on my second day in the hotel and saw a much bigger, much brighter, much nicer room.

The hammering sounds that woke me at 7:46 a.m. reminded me of the front desk clerk's casual comment that the hotel was upgrading. The next morning, I discovered that the service elevators next to my room were apparently being used to transport construction materials and workers at 6:00 a.m.

The hotel does offer free parking for hotel guests, but charges a surcharge for all phone calls, including $2.00 for a tollfree call! The hotel advertises a spa; however, upon calling the spa, you receive a recording asking you to leave a message so they can get right back to you. Two days after leaving the message, I'm still waiting. The hotel seems understaffed throughout all areas -- only one front desk clerk on duty, only one doorman/bellman, one waiter, one bartender, one housekeeper. As a result, one often had to wait for any type of service.

When I checked out, I expressed my disappointment with the room and the hotel. The front desk clerk -- a different clerk -- expressed surprise that I was given the small room. "We usually only use those rooms when we're sold out!"

My best advice -- stay away until they get their act together!

BEAUTIFUL HOTEL, GREAT SERVICE, GREAT PRICE

by TripAdvisor Member ltp_tango

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel from December 27, 2004 - January 1, 2005. I had visited this hotel when it was a Four Points Sheraton, and it was fine, but the recent room and hotel upgrades are FABULOUS!! The lobby is absolutely gorgeous, decorated in soothing earth tones, with a wood floor, comfy couches, and music playing throughout. It is very classy and comfortable. One night, I couldn't sleep, and very happily sat in the lobby on a couch, reading one of their terrific "coffee table" books. I felt like I was in my very own, plush living room. The renovated bar is lovely and classy as well. The guest rooms are gorgeous, and the bed is the most comfortable hotel bed that I have ever slept in.

We stayed on the 1st floor (technically, the 2nd floor, as it is the floor above the lobby), as my boyfriend is a smoker and that is their smoking floor, and did NOT experience ANY noise problems as stated by other guests (and we were staying on the same side facing apartment buildings). It was fine. We both slept very well.

The hotel staff was very friendly and hospitable. The front desk manager gave me a special rate for New Year's Eve, since we had been there all week, making the rate MUCH less expensive than other Santa Monica and LA hotels on that evening. There's no ice machine on the 1st/2nd floor, but the restaurant staff was always happy to give us ice upon request.

Some people complain about the proximity to the ocean. It is ONLY 3 BLOCKS AWAY!!! It takes maybe 10 minutes to walk to the ocean...I don't see this as being prohibitive for mobile people, plus there is a Tide Shuttle that will take you to the beach and boardwalk for FREE with token(s) from the hotel.

The hotel area is not the best, but there are lots of great restaurants, bars and shopping nearby.

All in all, we had a wonderful, relaxing stay. I plan to visit it again in the future, and highly recommend it.

Very Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member cpreviewer

I was very disappointed in this hotel. The exterior concerned me when I first arrived because it looked very run down. My room was shabby, the carpeting was dirty and had large stains, and the walls had water damage. It was very loud at night because the door to my room opened directly to the outside - more like motel than a 3-star hotel. I was concerned for my safety but they would not let me switch to a different room. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Hotel to stay in in Santa Monica

by suzieq_2u

I have one day to stay in Santa Monica in January with my 30 year old son. Want to find a nice hotel with a good location for the major sites and be near the water. Also I need suggestions for a good restaurant. Any suggestions?

RE: Hotel to stay in in Santa Monica

by zuriga

I'm not sure of their rates, but Shutters in Santa Monica has always sounded like a very nice hotel.

RE: Hotel to stay in in Santa Monica

by JonoMan

The Holiday Inn at Santa Monica has a PERFECT location!

Third Street Promenade has a lot of great restaurants.

RE: RE: Hotel to stay in in Santa Monica