Le Merigot, A JW Marriott Beach Hotel and Spa Santa Monica

Booking.com Travelocity JWMarriott.com

Costs 53% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Le Merigot, A JW Marriott Beach Hotel and Spa Santa Monica

we loved our experience at Le Merigot

After reading many hotel reviews on tripadvisor we decided on Le Merigott and were not disappointed. The service was friendly and extremely efficient. The room was spacious, clean and very comfortable - especially the beds. The location was perfect and the food was excellent. We loved the candle and rubber fish in the bathroom, the spa, the food, the service and the radio/cd player. Highly recommend and will definitely return.

SShh..we know a secret!

by RAINBOWWINGS about Cezanne at Le Merigot

This restaurant has got to be one of Santa Monicas best kept secrets, and I dont want to be the one to spoil it....but I´ve just got to tell you what a fabulous place it is! On the lower ground floor of the famed beach front Le Merigot Hotel, this dining place has both elegance and haute cuisine waiting to be tested.
We started with cocktails in the garden of this fine hotel, listening to the waves crash on the wide beach, then followed the stairs down to a beautifully decorated dining room. Typically French with regency striped silk banquettes and tables decorated with the finest tableware, we began to think this may be a bit above our station, but were pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the staff and service, and even more surprised at the final bill. We were expecting expensive but this was no more expensive than the Italian restaurant we had visited earlier in the week. Such choice and being a Caesar Salad fan opted for that which really surprised me as the lettuce leaves were served whole, not chopped, and the croutons were large slices of fried chiapata bread...delicious. Family had Lobster Bisque, and another had Foie which were to die for. Then came the mains....breast of duck in a delicate berry sauce with a wild rice risotto on the side.....filet mignon that melted under the knife...everything was perfect.
A truly wonderful experience for that special night out.

I had to call twice to get earned Marriott Rewards!!

by TripAdvisor Member pwrshift

I was at Le Merigot in early May 2004. When the Marriott Rewards for my stay hadn't been put into my account I called the hotel. The 'snippy' person I talked to said they 'batch' them and submit them at their own leisure...but if I insisted he would do mine right away! It was 2 months after I stayed there. Really bad attitude in my opinion.

In addition, I had turned in a 500 point Marriott Reward certificate the hotel gave me for not ordering a free bag of peanuts. That also was not applied to my account as promised. I had to contact Marriott Rewards about it and the person said they have had some problems with Le Merigot posting reward points and would look into it. The points were applied 2 days later.

It would appear that Le Merigot reluctantly joined the Marriott family (according to the bartender) because they were going down. The move instantly improved business for them, but their attitude towards the Marriott Rewards program needs adjustment. If you stay there, make sure you watch to see that you get the points earned.

Considering the small room with only one chair (office chair at table) I would not give the service or the room a high rating. The location is remote from any convenience store or other restaurants other than the Lowe's hotel next door (much better).

Not a good value

by TripAdvisor Member LolaChicago_IL

I decided upon Le Merigot for a two week vacation to Santa Monica with my two year old daughter and mother. We arrived 4/24 at about 10:30 p.m. and were tired from the flight. We checked in and went straigt to our room #347. It was dark, we couldn't tell much looking out the window. I woke early the next morning, hoping for a nice view but all I saw were antenna on the building next door and the other window provided a nice view of the street. Next, I found that the toilet didn't flush. I reserved a mini suite at $479 and got a plain room. I went down to retify the situation and was told that their mini suites are all the same, basically a tiny bit bigger room than their average rooms. (So, don't waste your money on a suite.)

They did move me to another room, #327. A little bit better, just as small but with a partial view of the beach. If you stay here, and are stuck on the third floor, choose one with an odd number, you might get a bit of ocean view.

Room service is mediocre, with only one dish worthy, that was the duck. Otherwise, the prices are exorbitant. Eat out often, there are many good restaurants around there within walking distance with much better food for what Cezanne (their restaurant) charges.

The pool is very small. The pool area is often crowded, you won't get a spot in the sun if you are late getting there. Of course, you can also go to the beach. Although they claim the hotel is beachfront, it's not. You have to cross a street, then a parking lot before reaching the sand. If you have small children, you might want to reconsider this "beach front" hotel.

And if you're like me who needs to do some work while on vacation like check email... do yourself a favor and bring your laptop. I left mine and home - they advertised a business center. The business center is in fact, not a center but two computers set up in the middle of a hallway. You have to swipe your credit card to activate it. The cost is $1.69/minute NO JOKE. Also, you get no privacy and the equipment doesn't always work. One time, while I was using the computer, another guest was trying to get the one next to me. It appeared to be malfunctioning and she went to get some help. Well, the help returned and proceeded to disconnect my computer while I was in the middle of using email. They comped me for that time, but this was quite bad considering that this is supposed to be a "luxury" hotel.

While on the trip, I needed the use of a DVD player. Concierge arranged to rent one for me, I was told it was $40 dollars, but was charged $80 dollars. They set it one afternoon and removed the next morning but not before taking my DVD out. It was a hassle getting it back. For $80 dollars, you can buy a DVD player and 4 DVDs at Walmart. I'll do that next time.

The concierge is very helpful but the rest of the staff needs some improvement. Rather snooty, but they cultivate that sort of attitude here, perhaps.

There's so much more that I wouldn't recommend, so beware if you have to check into Le Merigot. Also, before you check out, scrutinize your bill. I was overcharged for the room for the two weeks by $50/night. Room service charges and other charges are suspect also.

not a great experience

by TripAdvisor Member emerald444

The hotel is certainly nice, but it is too expensive for what you get. The pool is very tiny and there are no alternatives to the hotel restaurant for breakfast which means that you have to pay at least 30$ per person for breakfast. The nearest place for breakfast is 15-20 minutes from the hotel.
When we left the hotel they forgot to take away the hold they had put on my credit card so my card was blocked for 3 days and I had to call the hotel to have it unblocked. I would never book a room again at this hotel.

Special Treatment

My husband and I traveled to Santa Monica in early June and had the best experience ever in a hotel. The conceige staff was the best!!!! The bed was the most comfortable we've ever slept in, (including our own!!). The spa was first class! One of the things we liked the best was the outside courtyard where comfortable club chairs were situated throughout, with quiet nooks to yourself. Also, no screaming children running around which made it a most enjoyable stay. We will definately recommend this hotel to everyone we know and would stay there again no matter what the cost!!

Fabulous!

by TripAdvisor Member techerntraveler

Loved this hotel! I was really surprised its not in the top 5 for Santa Monica Hotels!! I went with a friend and we stayed two nights the week of june 23rd..the service, location, room was beautiful and the most comfortable bed, bedding ever!!!

This is not a family-friendly hotel – warning!

This is not a family-friendly hotel – warning! Pool is small and full of “grown-ups” working on their tans all day. There is not much tolerance for kids in the pool and splashing! Also, there is NO ocean view – a very nice building completely blocks the beach. I am sure the high price rooms have some notion of sand. Also, complimentary coffee is served only until 9am for which you have to leave your room and go down stairs. For the business traveler, this is probably not an issue, but for those of us with kids, 9am can be difficult. They are serious about 9am, too! The morning paper comes in a very nice leather case – why could they not put a coffeemaker in each room and forget the leather case? Also, I did inquire about a coffeemaker and they don’t have any for the guest rooms. For some reason, the bathroom ceiling was very low, which made me uncomfortable during our 4 nights.

Also, if you are a Marriott Rewards member, don’t count on honoring your reservation request. I had reserved (I thought) a room with 2 beds. I called earlier in the day to confirm and was assured we’d have 2 beds and arrived at 5:00pm to learn that they only had rooms with 1 king bed left. I asked about the benefit of being a Marriott Rewards member and was told that they are a franchised property, and do the best they can – but reading between the lines, they do whatever works best for them!

On the positive side – the staff is very friendly and the rooms are a reasonable size. The beds are excellent. Next time is the Loews for us.

A Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member LocustPoint

My wife and I recently had an excellent 3 night staty at the property. The rooms are a bit small but, they are well appointed and have oustanding beds.

The service was excellent and the staff did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable. The pool area is small but, very nice and well maintained. The restaurant serves good meals with attentive serive.

I would go back in a heart beat.

STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!!!

I know that experience is all relative and there are some good reviews of this Hotel on the site but I (and my family, and my wife's family - all of whom stayed at the Hotel on 3 separate occasions) was/were extremely disappointed by this Hotel for a number of reasons:

- the Closet Space is EXTREMELY limited. Even in the Double Rooms and Suites there is one closet which holds around 10 hangers. We had to beg for an additional Rail - and we were finally given a rail which is used to return Dry Cleaning to Guests - but after MUCH begging

- the rooms are very dark - there is no overhead lighting

- the loungers by the pool are VERY limited so unless you get down early - forget about laying out

- When I checked out I was owed a refund of $600 (because I overpaid for the room) and the refund took 4 weeks to process (despite me being told that it would take only a few days and despite REPEATED calls to the Hotel)

- there is so much miscommunication between Departments of the Hotel that I ended up being charged over $300 for a room that I was not supposed to pay for - they had given me a Voucher to stay in a Room for one night (as an apology for messing up on the refund). I was told by one Department to resevre the room on my credit card and that they would refund it back to me when I presented the voucher. They (the General Manager - Sig Ortloff) then refused to do so!

I would stay away from this Hotel at all cost.

Marriott 'Le Merigot' Hotel, Santa Monica

by July2

We're considering booking at the above hotel for two nights. Does anyone have any comments about it, good or bad, or have another beachfront suggestion?

Thanks, Louisa

by yma123

hey there!!!

we stayed at the holiday inn which is right on the pier & is 5 mins walking distance to the main strip of shops... great hotel with gym, bikes for hire and great staff!!!!

they also have tours that you can go on which is organised through the hotel... see my Santa Monica Page... you can see how close the hotel is to the pier!!!

by July2

Hi Amy, thanks for your response. The location of the Holiday Inn seems perfect, right near everything, which is good, because I like to wander around and not drive everywhere. Great photos! Louisa

by yma123

yeah thats why we chose it... we did an 8 week holiday around europe & then 2 weeks in USA (NY, Vagas & LA) - this was our last stop.. so we didnt want to do too much walking!!

by July2

Sounds like a great vacation!

We'll be coming in off a flight and I know my partner will want a snooze, so I plan to leave him and take a walk although it'll be late in the evening - I expect there'll be plenty of people around tho' - hope so!

by madamx

It's not beach front per se -- maybe a 5 minute walk to the beach, but we loved the Hotel Oceana:

It used to be an old motel and is a unique property. Gorgeous pool area, across the street from Pacific Palisades Park, and 10 minute walk to shops, restaurants, etc.

by July2

Helen, I think I came across this hotel on Google and it DID look nice - 5 minutes from the beach is good. I'll take a closer look at the details.
Thanks, Louisa

by RAINBOWWINGS

Didnt get to stay in Le Merigot, we stayed in The Huntley which was perfect for strolling around, but the Merigot has one of the nicest restaurants we´ve ever eaten in, in Santa Monica.Its called Cezanne and is very stylish but not overpriced. The setting of Le Merigot is superb....right on the beach and they have a very nice terrace for that little cocktail before descending the stairs to their wonderful restaurant.
Even if you dont stay there...do try their food. You can read about it on my Sa Monica page.

by July2

Christine, thanks for your comments on the Le Merigot Hotel. It's good to know about the restaurant even if we don't stay at the hotel. The setting sounds perfect ... I will definitely look at your page as we want to book something soon. I can't wait to get there and leave behind all this snow we're getting buried in here! :)

Louisa