Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel

Average Value

Price and Rating Equal to similar hotels

See Hotels with Better Ratings

Valet Nightmare

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 21, 2012

My wife and I attended a wedding at the Loew's Hotel.

Unique Quality: My wife and I just went to a wedding at the Loew's hotel and "low" is a good description of their attitude toward customer service. We had to leave a black tie wedding party at Loew's at 10PM. I wanted to attend the end of a party at our building. I went to get my car and it took over a half hour to get my car.

First they sent me back to the party to get validation. Then no one knew about it. Then they sent me to the front desk. The assistant manager was called. He did not have the ability to validate. They sent me to the bar. No they couldn't do it, but they insisted that it was complimentary and would take care of it. It took another 15 minutes of fumbling around to get my ticket back. They made me run a few more errands then put me at the end of the valet line that was now forming 3 couples deep and then took another 10 minutes to get my car. When I complained to the valet he said - I'll get the manager for you to complain to.

Well, we just grabbed our car and got out of there as fast as possible, missing our other party and leaving the hotel really pissed off. I don't know whether the hotel is good or not, just don't give them your car if you want it back in a timely way. They don't have a system worked out and they are more then willing to torture the guests rather then tighten up their own system so innocent people going to weddings don't have to leave with a bad taste for Loew's.

I have never been to a hotel so unwilling to go the extra mile to make a guest feel welcome. I will not be going back there anytime soon.

Directions: Santa Monica Pier

tetonski1's Profile Photo

Loews Santa Monica Resort

by written on August 26, 2002

I paid about $260 a night. You can find the rates and book a room on their web page. I suggest you keep checking their prices, and re-book if they lower. My first reservation was for $345 a night, and it kept getting lower as the date arrived.

Unique Quality: Absolutely beautiful hotel lobby, pool area and veranda. The rooms are upper scale, however I found it irritating that the balcony's were only 1 foot deep. Enough to stand on, yet not put a chair to enjoy the view. I also didn't like looking out the window to see other's looking in my room since we were so close to each other. (You can see what I mean in the picture). Service by the pool was terrible as well. They had 2 waiters for the whole pool area which clearly wasn't enough, and people were leaving the veranda tables because they had to wait too long. Not a big deal though if you go to the bar and get the drinks,or snacks yourself.

All in all the stay here was very nice. I felt like I was in a first class resort, (but I paid for it too!)

Directions: Loews is located right off the beach, (you cross a small street, and walk down a little hill to get to the beach). It's a couple of blocks south of the Pier, (about a 5 minute walk).

Luis_Alberto's Profile Photo

Some of the best hotels in...

by written on August 24, 2002

Some of the best hotels in Santa Monica, are the Loews Santa Monica Beach hotel. at: 1700 Ocean Ave. (310) 458-6700. Ocean Lodge Beach hotel at: 1667 Ocean Ave. (310) 458-4888. Four Points hotel SM, at: 530 Pico Blvd, (310) 399-9344.

Unique Quality: These above mentioned hotels are close to where the action is, right in the heart of downtown, Santa Monica.

bruingirl's Profile Photo

Loews Santa Monica

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 24, 2002

US $300/night (picture: courtesy of Loews Santa Monica's website)

Unique Quality: The rooms are nice and big, but unfortunately, we didn't get an ocean view room. No biggie, since I see the ocean every day. The lobby is very aesthetically pleasing and inviting with large couches, scattered in clusters throughout the room. The pool, albeit small, is nice because it overlooks the ocean. Living in the greater LA area, it was hard to imagine I was elsewhere, but sitting by the pool definitely helped put me in 'vacation mode.' It was wonderful to sit by the pool, sipping a margarita, feeling the cool ocean breeze, and listening to a guy playing Jamaican music. (don't know if that's really what it's called, but I think you get the drift...)

Directions: 1700 Ocean Avenue
Santa Monica, CA, 90401
It's in a great location if you want to visit Santa Monica because it's within walking distance to pretty much all the attractions in Santa Monica.

Nearby Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel

• Kids Activities
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Santa Monica Travel Forum

Need advice about Santa Monica, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Santa Monica and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Santa Monica hotel reviews

Information / Sources
Palisades Park / Other Parks
Stroll Third St, Shop and Enjoy the Ambience
Things to Do
Yes, Go to a Video Store for Fun!
Santa Monica Carousel on the Pier
Loved the Park & the Views, Minus the Homeless
Nice Area to Eat, Shop & People Watch
Lido Hotel 1931
Off The Beaten Path
Parking less complicated here!
Transportation