Ocean Park Hotel

The Famed Santa Monica PierThe Famed Santa Monica Pier

Santa Monica beach sceneSanta Monica beach scene

Beside the WheelBeside the Wheel

InteriorInterior

safest/cheapest close to the beach hotel :)

by deshbic

Me my sister and my 5 and 3yr old boys are visting california for a few nights in july. we will not be driving so we want to stay somewhere close enough to the beach to either walk or take a bus. Were traveling on a budget so does anyone have any suggestions on some SAFE/CLEAN/CHEAP hotels? Also it will be our first time visiting any suggestions on some "must see" spots? :)

by amandajayne81

We stayed at the Holiday Inn at Santa Monica. It was probably a 3 min walk to the sand. Not sure if it will meet your 'cheap' criteria but it was safe and comfortable. As far as must see spots the pier is the obvious one that little boys will enjoy. We saw people fishing off it-your boys might like that. Otherwise I am not sure that Santa Monica is an overly cheap destination. We enjoyed walking up to Venice Beach Pier, it would be too far for 2 littlies but maybe you could bring/hire bikes to ride some of the way. Have a great trip.

by deshbic

thank you for the feedback i was looking there, but now i am going to be using a wyndham timeshare and am sooo confused as where to stay!! somewhere where we dont have to travel too far to have fun......this is the first time Ive tried to plan a trip and Im obviously not so good at it :?

by amandajayne81

Sorry I can't help with the timeshare. Keep persisting with the travel planning, it does take a bit of time trawling the internet but this website is very helpful.

Travel Tips for Santa Monica

Doggies All Over the Place!

by marinarena

People love to walk their dogs here, not only near the beach and around Third Street Promenade but on just about any sidewalk! I captured this pooch off 5th St I believe. It wanted to go inside for Happy Hour!!

Visiting LA? Stay Westside!

by giampiero6

If you visit LA, I HIGHLY recommend that you stay on the Westside in Santa Monica, Venice, Marina, Malibu etc. I get very irritated if I have to go inland too much except for occasional outings. I mean let's face it, Hollywood sucks, most of LA is ugly and unimpressive and the only reason to come here is to hang out at the beach, relax, see freaks etc. Thus, why hang anywhere else. There's the beach, plenty of places to go eat and drink. Trust me on this!

Celeb Beach

by marinarena

You never know when you'll spot a celebrity! I happened to be in Santa Monica (26 Feb) during festivities of the Independent Spirit Awards, which it hosts yearly. It's hard to see him clearly but I happened to get a side shot of the actor, Liev Shreiber (on the right)! Quite handsome he looked but he was definitely in a rush. The Spirit Awards are held usually the day before the Oscars. Make it a point to come to Santa Monica in late winter to do some celeb hunting!

See the Santa Monica Pier and...

by Luis_Alberto

See the Santa Monica Pier and the Promenade. Enjoy some of the best restaurants in Southern California.
There are plenty of art galleries and small theatres, with daily performances. You will enjoy some of the best sunsets in California. I enjoy the weather, it is always nice and does not get into extremes temperatures. Riding my bicicle around town, believe me, is still possible!. We also have some of the best bookstores in the Los Angeles area.

Get lowdown on free stuff!

Walking down the pier!

Sure, it is the most typical thing to do in Santa Monica. I did it recently only because I hadn't done it for a while. The pier is a great spot to be seen and this is ideal for promoters. So, last time here, on a semi-sweltering afternoon, there were a few Coke reps by the famous pier sign. They were tossing to weary pier walkers and other passerbys free cold coke flavored with a bit of lime. Who knows what other product will be out there for the pushing next?

Comments